Old 17-09-2012, 09:52 AM
cventer

USB Hubs for Cameras and Guiders

I recently changed PC's in my observatory and moved to 64 Bit OS.

I have noticed during imaging and focusing runs I am getting a few driver timeout errors from my main imaging camera. I have the driver in CCD Soft set to High Priority downloads but still getting these.

Just wondering what solutions others are using to connect their main imaging camera and auto guider to their PC's .

Be interesting discussion to see if there are any golden rules that seem to work.

Obvious answer is ensure separate USB cable for Guider and Camera. I will try this as well but wondering how much success anyone has had running a 12v powered USB hub on their scope connecting Guider and camera through same USB cable back to PC.

With unattended imaging I cant afford to have these timeout errors ever so looking for a robust solution.

I am even toying with idea of putting one of these mini form factor PC's that are around 6 - 7 inches long and or 5 inches wide directly on the mount.
Here a a couple:

http://www.stealth.com/littlepc.htm

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...tml?cid=207675

That way cable runs are short and direct. And imaging acquisition software runs right on the PC that sits on the mount. All that needed is single Lan cable from mini PC to control remotely via Team Viewer.

How are you guys solving these issues ?
Old 17-09-2012, 10:03 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

I use a powered hub at the scope and a long USB (20m) to the laptop in the car. This has the DMK41, a tethered D800, robofocus and autoguider control on it - no timeouts with everything running flat out. Likewise with an ST-10 in place of the DSLR.
The USB hub was a cheapie I picked up in JB Hifi.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 17-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Leobartz (Leonardo)

I had the same problem, and I bought a very good Industrial 12 port USB HUB. I plug everything I have into it without any problem or driver issues.

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/5862/foto20af.jpg

Here is the link at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Cheers,

Leo
Old 19-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Jeff
Starry Eyed

To avoid intermittent lockups, I now only use the PMX-based USB hub for my guide camera, and run a separate USB cable to/through the mount for my main imaging camera.

I expect USB3 interface cameras (aka PGR Flea3) will be getting pretty common soon, so I'll expect to thread another cable through the mount soon too.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 24-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Paul Haese

Chris with the mount hub pro one thing you might want to look at is the power supply. I am currently using a 10amp supply as anything under that would result in drop outs just like you describe. Since using the higher current supply I have not had this issue at all. Running two cameras, dew control, focus gear and fans can lead to drop outs in USB if the power is not sufficient.
Old 24-09-2012, 11:17 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I've been using Belkin powered hubs and haven't had any issues.

I use one hub for the imaging camera and another one for the guiding camera and serial coms back to the mount. I've got 3m USB cables between the camera and the hub and another 3m cable between the hub and the PC.

Recently changed to win7 64 bit without any issues.
Old 24-09-2012, 06:00 PM
cventer

Thanks.

I am using a 10amp bench power supply that's supposed to be very clean.

I'm not sure why I am getting these timeouts now. I tried replacing a few Cables as well . I only seem to get them from focusmax. Dont get them in ccdsoft.

Are you running cable through your paramount to the mount hub ? Do you have an extension Cale to mount hub ? The mount hub cable is not too long so like to see how you are connecting it to your pc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Chris with the mount hub pro one thing you might want to look at is the power supply. I am currently using a 10amp supply as anything under that would result in drop outs just like you describe. Since using the higher current supply I have not had this issue at all. Running two cameras, dew control, focus gear and fans can lead to drop outs in USB if the power is not sufficient.
Old 24-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by cventer View Post
Thanks.

I am using a 10amp bench power supply that's supposed to be very clean.

I'm not sure why I am getting these timeouts now. I tried replacing a few Cables as well . I only seem to get them from focusmax. Dont get them in ccdsoft.

Are you running cable through your paramount to the mount hub ? Do you have an extension Cale to mount hub ? The mount hub cable is not too long so like to see how you are connecting it to your pc.
Yes I am running the cable through the mount. I have 5 meter powered extension from the mount to the computer. In reality I have a cable from the computer that connects to a wall socket which has a 5m extension which goes down the inside of the wall under the floor to a wall socket on the floor near the mount. The mount hub pro cable plugs into that socket.

Just out of interest how are you driving focusmax. Which ascom software are you using? Do you have the control box for the robofocus between the focusor and the mount hub pro? Perhaps these things are causing some issues.
Old 24-09-2012, 09:06 PM
cventer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Yes I am running the cable through the mount.

Just out of interest how are you driving focusmax. Which ascom software are you using? Do you have the control box for the robofocus between the focusor and the mount hub pro? Perhaps these things are causing some issues.
You running the mount hub cable through the mount ? then attached to the extension cable.

Focusmax is driving my Atlas focuser via FLI drivers and ascom drivers they supply. The camera is being driven by ccdsoft.

More and more I am thinking the answer is a small PC on the mount itself like one of these. http://www.fit-pc.com/web/