Old 17-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Tony_ (Tony)

advice DSLR 60Da vs astro modded

Hello,

I may have an opportunity to buy a cheap one-off 60Da.
I know it still has some limitations in regards to capturing red. I currently use a 550d. Will the 60Da give significantly better images? eg. will it bring out more red in nebulas like tarantula (or will it still be mostly blue) etc. will it reduce exposure times for Ha or Hb nebulae like horsehead?
Or am I better off getting a fully modded camera. For example - if I could get a 60Da for the same price as a modded 40d which would be best?
I'm not after award winning pictures - just something with more natural colours than I currently get. Also reduced noise would be good. (This is assuming that we will actually get some clear skies again).
Any advice appreciated. Does anyone know any websites with a lot of examples of images taken with a 60Da?

Regards,
Tony.
Old 17-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Tony,
The 60Da seems to be equivalent to a "modded" Canon - the spectral response is similar to the "base" camera but with improved red response (ie Ha) and still has the UV-IR cut-offs.
I think you'd be very happy with the improvement over an original Canon.
(I use a FULL, full spectral mod - both filters removed, for UV and NIR response for spectroscopy- currently a fully modded 1000D)
Old 18-06-2013, 03:53 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_ View Post
Hello,

I may have an opportunity to buy a cheap one-off 60Da.
I know it still has some limitations in regards to capturing red. I currently use a 550d. Will the 60Da give significantly better images? eg. will it bring out more red in nebulas like tarantula (or will it still be mostly blue) etc. will it reduce exposure times for Ha or Hb nebulae like horsehead?
Or am I better off getting a fully modded camera. For example - if I could get a 60Da for the same price as a modded 40d which would be best?
I'm not after award winning pictures - just something with more natural colours than I currently get. Also reduced noise would be good. (This is assuming that we will actually get some clear skies again).
Any advice appreciated. Does anyone know any websites with a lot of examples of images taken with a 60Da?

Regards,
Tony.

Tony Hallas did some shots with the 60Da. Google his name.

Greg.
Old 21-06-2013, 03:46 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Hi tony,

this may help.

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTRO..._60D_550Da.HTM

cheers

Rusty