Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2018, 10:55 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Bob I too spent many Monday nights in the 70s with the Oddie, originally thanks to Ed Simmonds and before it was made accessible to others apart from the postgrad students at the observatory. While it was great for insane magnifications on the planets when seeing permitted it’s focal ratio made it pretty hopeless on DSOs. The little plate camera was ok but mainly for teaching the basics of plate photography for those who hadn’t learnt it in their undergrad course. I even used it as a guidescope with an 8” newtonian bolted on to take photos on several occasions.

But it really was a museum piece.

This may seem heretical to many here, but last year I put the refractor hype to the test with star tests on same objects through an assortment of three APOs 130-150mm side by side with a C6 a good 8” dob and my SW mak. The APOs included an AP Starfire 130 GT... nice scope but compared to the reflectors the only conclusion I came to is that the refractors are “try-hard wannabes” when it comes to real achromatism. As for resolution... sorry refractor guys, the 7” SW mak won every time and it matched them for contrast.

This was enough to wean me off refractors for good as the 7” mak won every comparison.

A 9” mak or SCT is about as big as I can lift and a 9” premium modern mak IMHO surpasses what the Oddie was able to do in every respect. A good 10” or 11” SCT ditto.
I read up on your rare 9" mak and it certainly sounds like a gem of a scope.
Very interesting remarks, that will have some of us refractor guys choking on our cornflakes.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:00 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Well I don't find it heretical; Since getting my first proper scope [as opposed to a toy one] in 1952, I have either owned or used, scopes of many types
and sizes, and I have to say that I agree with Wavytone 100%. Oddly, I
have only ever had two Maks, a 6 and a 7, and both of them split
Antares more cleanly and aesthetically pleasingly than any other
amateur scope of similar, or even a little larger, size that I have ever used.
The SW 6" was especially good value for money.
raymo
I have owned a lot of scopes, but never a Mak, so these are interesting remarks.

I find Antares easier to split with a SCT, so perhaps something to the central obstruction happening to make the split easier?
Old 21-01-2018, 05:57 AM
glend (Glen)

Andrews is now advertising the Skywatcher ED150 will arrive shortly with a FPL51 element in the Doublet objective.
Old 29-01-2018, 02:27 PM
glend (Glen)

ED150 Discounting

Discounting already?
Astronomy Alive is advertising the as yet unseen Skywatcher ED150 for $2729 AUD. Obviously shipping charges will apply, but from where? The scope would likely be shipped directly from Tasco at Brookvale NSW to the buyer.
Andrews is still advertising the ED150 at $2899, plus shipping, again from Tasco.
Looks like a savings of $170 if you order through Astronomy Alive, assuming they honor that offered price.
Old 29-01-2018, 02:47 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The Astronomy Alive discount is probably because he'll claim he was the optical designer for it
Old 29-01-2018, 02:54 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
The Astronomy Alive discount is probably because he'll claim he was the optical designer for it
Ha ha ha, you make my laugh Lewis. I just got off the phone with him and he was trying to up-sell me on one of his designs.
BTW, he confirmed the $2729 price, and of course claims most inbound are already pre-sold.
Old 29-01-2018, 03:00 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
I have owned a lot of scopes, but never a Mak, so these are interesting remarks.

I find Antares easier to split with a SCT, so perhaps something to the central obstruction happening to make the split easier?
Airy disk smaller in big SCT ..EASY split in very good conditions.

One good early morn , I split Antares cleanly with an ETX 125 , that I could not in a bigger cooled SCT..they get affected by seeing a bit more due to the big central obstrction in my experience .

Though if seeing is very good , they WILL perform to their theoretical limits, and outperform a smaller aperture..but not as often as in the Mak or refractor.

bigjoe.
Old 29-01-2018, 03:01 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Ha ha ha, you make my laugh Lewis. I just got off the phone with him and he was trying to up-sell me on one of his designs.
BTW, he confirmed the $2729 price, and of course claims most inbound are already pre-sold.
HIS designs - now you make ME laugh Glen
Old 29-01-2018, 03:08 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Interesting stuff.

To be fair Wavy. I've had a good look through your Mak. That thing is a god-damn unicorn being ridden by bigfoot. It's no wonder even the best refractors with smaller apertures cant compete.
Old 29-01-2018, 03:10 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Well I don't find it heretical; Since getting my first proper scope [as opposed to a toy one] in 1952, I have either owned or used, scopes of many types
and sizes, and I have to say that I agree with Wavytone 100%. Oddly, I
have only ever had two Maks, a 6 and a 7, and both of them split
Antares more cleanly and aesthetically pleasingly than any other
amateur scope of similar, or even a little larger, size that I have ever used.
The SW 6" was especially good value for money.
raymo
Even though I no longer have a Maksutov the've all split just about any double I've thrown at them...even in average conditions..would I love another one ..YES..even bigger over around 250mm would be Ideal for me... to go with the 130mm triplet and others
bigjoe
Old 29-01-2018, 03:18 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
Interesting stuff.

To be fair Wavy. I've had a good look through your Mak. That thing is a god-damn unicorn being ridden by bigfoot. It's no wonder even the best refractors with smaller apertures cant compete.
Too true Adrian ..Wavys big Maksutovs..would surely be very hard, nie impossible for any good smaller refractor or SCT to beat on a lot of targets.

Even in good to average seeing , once cooled down.Central obstructions under 24% barely affect the image at the EP ..and so aperture RULES!...seen this many times.

bigjoe.
Old 29-01-2018, 03:36 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
HIS designs - now you make ME laugh Glen
By the end of the month one of them could be offered as a TRIPLET in a DAIRY GRADE CELL ..you never know your luck with one of his designs .. FLOURITE ?. Hes UNIQUE I say.
bigjoe
Old 29-01-2018, 03:53 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I have contacted MY dealer to see what price they will do one at.

I'd like one for visual.
Old 29-01-2018, 04:07 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

These should be great for visual you'd imagine..what thev'e mated it with ..well find out soon enough.

That and nice polishing, and coatings weve come to expect from Synta, should make for a great visual scope.

With all the coming Planetary oppositions ..esp Mars, M22 and Saturn On April Fools Day and the next..don't anyone be an April Fool, and miss them.

bigjoe.
Old 29-01-2018, 04:12 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The exceptional optics I expect for imaging is well covered by Tak with me, so this leaves visual, where a small difference in Strehl means stuff all considering the human eye cannot see the difference (unless the figure is horrid)

So, so long as the SW meets or exceeds 0.9 Strehl, I am fine with it.

I was considering a Mak, Mewlon or even a Dob for visual, but ruled all of them out for various reasons (cool down, dewing issues etc), so this leaves me the ED150

If my dealer says circa $2800, I am in.
Old 29-01-2018, 04:26 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I got VERY good news from my dealer, but he will update when these arrive in country. Same price (actually slightly better) as "elsewhere".
Old 29-01-2018, 04:35 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
I got VERY good news from my dealer, but he will update when these arrive in country. Same price (actually slightly better) as "elsewhere".

Cant wait till someone actually tests one..

I have a feeling it will be above .90 Strehl and be a surprise...theres no way Synta SW will make or release, with their vast experience and knowhow , anthing thats not at least very good to excellent with these APOs.

bigjoe.
Old 29-01-2018, 05:30 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

They will be a challenge to view on April Fools Day. I think they rise about 10.45pm on the 1st April. Best viewing will be in the morning of the 2nd, just before twilight kicks in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
With all the coming Planetary oppositions ..esp Mars, M22 and Saturn On April Fools Day and the next..don't anyone be an April Fool, and miss them.

bigjoe.
Old 29-01-2018, 05:51 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Re April Planets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
They will be a challenge to view on April Fools Day. I think they rise about 10.45pm on the 1st April. Best viewing will be in the morning of the 2nd, just before twilight kicks in.
All too true Steve ..those remarks were mostly intended as a Reminder ..a few hrs later will of course be ideal.

This is going to one of the best years in Astronomy , for a long time... and SW is finally coming out with a big 6 " Ed Apo that would be perfect for this.

bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 29-01-2018 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Add
Old 29-01-2018, 08:34 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
The exceptional optics I expect for imaging is well covered by Tak with me, so this leaves visual, where a small difference in Strehl means stuff all considering the human eye cannot see the difference (unless the figure is horrid)

So, so long as the SW meets or exceeds 0.9 Strehl, I am fine with it.

I was considering a Mak, Mewlon or even a Dob for visual, but ruled all of them out for various reasons (cool down, dewing issues etc), so this leaves me the ED150

If my dealer says circa $2800, I am in.
Astro Petes has advertised $2795 for about a month now, so not a tough ask.

Me? I will consider it when U sell yours for a further discount in 2 or 3 months time.