Old 06-09-2018, 06:04 AM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Optical aberration in OAG

Another 'image' from last night.... unfortunately not much from the big end of the scope. This is something I've noted before in the PHD window.

Scope is 8" f/4 Bintel Newt. OAG and lodestar.

Is this astigmatism? - it has never seemed to bother PHD much, but I suspect it is an amplified version of what is happening in the main CCD.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (starshapes.jpg)
29.3 KB96 views
Old 06-09-2018, 06:34 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Another 'image' from last night.... unfortunately not much from the big end of the scope. This is something I've noted before in the PHD window.

Scope is 8" f/4 Bintel Newt. OAG and lodestar.

Is this astigmatism? - it has never seemed to bother PHD much, but I suspect it is an amplified version of what is happening in the main CCD.....

A bit of astigmatism mixed with coma. That's pretty standard on the edge of the field of a fast newt. Coma can be dealt with by spacing the corrector, astigmatism by rotating the primary mirror. PHD doesn't care.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:17 AM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Thanks, I suspected similar.... as far as I can tell the MPCC is spaced correctly. I cleaned both mirrors on the weekend and reinstalled/collimated on the bench and then touched up after mounted (not much variation). Of course then the imaging train goes on with whatever tilt is carries?

I took some 1s exposures in a busy star field to try and assess the optical train hopefully ignoring most guiding effects. Guiding last night was pretty 'interesting' though.

This image is a single 1s sub, stretched very hard to see the stars of course. I've added the corners and centre if it helps.

Link to FITS

Thanks for any advice/analysis.... to be honest I've seen worse from this scope, but I've also seen better, and I refuse to believe I can't have round stars across the small 428EX chip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (centre.jpg)
111.4 KB62 views
Click for full-size image (bottom-left.jpg)
73.7 KB69 views
Click for full-size image (bottom-right.jpg)
68.6 KB65 views
Click for full-size image (top-left.jpg)
56.2 KB53 views
Click for full-size image (top-right.jpg)
78.9 KB66 views
Click for full-size image (ngc6637-1s-full-sm.jpg)
96.9 KB45 views
Old 06-09-2018, 07:42 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

The field is flat and very well corrected. Just one thing to note is the star shapes. They seem to have 6 spikes like a 3 vane spider. Your newt has 4 right?
Old 06-09-2018, 07:51 AM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Yes, 4 vane spider. I saw the 6 spikes, I'm normally not stretching images as hard, I thought it might be artefact from that.

I'm actually quite impressed at what it picked up in 1s..... which is why I want to get this scope tamed....
Old 06-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
The field is flat and very well corrected. Just one thing to note is the star shapes. They seem to have 6 spikes like a 3 vane spider. Your newt has 4 right?

I think the stars look oval, worst top left/bottom right, and pretty good bottom left. Tilt? I was too tired to put it through CCD inspector last night, I'll hopefully have time at lunch today.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:04 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I think the stars look oval, worst top left/bottom right, and pretty good bottom left. Tilt? I was too tired to put it through CCD inspector last night, I'll hopefully have time at lunch today.
I ran your fit through CCD inspector. Collimation is very good, the field is incredibly flat for a fast new, quite surprising actually and there is a slight tilt but it's not something you would even detect visually. The only concern is those 6 spiked stars. Maybe the secondary is stressed or the primary clips. Something is pulling on the glass somewhere. Easily fixed.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:18 AM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

I'm happy to read something looks good!

When I reassembled on the weekend, I was careful to get the secondary rotated well - could it be too tight?
The only change I made was I reduced the primary mirror tendency for lateral movement by slipping some plastic shims (approx 0.5mm thick from packaging) between the cork pads and the sides of the mirror. Not tightly, and in fact the mirror could still move (just), just not clunking from side to side when rotated.....