Old 15-06-2012, 03:22 PM
hotspur (Chris)

astrophotography how too books-suggestions?

I recently ordered a new computer,it was mainly purchased with the tasks of processing in mind.so with a third gen i7 processor and 2Gb dedicated Nvidia graphics card,it should help more than my old tecraA9.

Looking at some suggestions for astrophotography how too books,I see some in the for sale section,but they always sell like hot cakes,there was one there called 'photoshop astronomy' very recently-where do I buy such a book? or similar.

Thanks C
Old 15-06-2012, 05:10 PM
gregbradley

Ron Wodaski's Zone System book is the best I have seen. I think also the earlier Wodaski book as it covers the basics more about darks,flats etc.

Adam Blocks' DVD tutorials are about the best.

Tony Hallas's are also very good.

There are some free tutorials as well. Louie Atlas has done some that are great. There are others around.

Greg.
Old 21-06-2012, 03:30 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Thanks Greg-I thought there might be some other recommendations,but I'll take your experienced advice and get the Wodaski books mentioned-cheers.
Old 22-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Auspom (Scott)

hi Chris
I'm living in the uk at the moment (don't hold that against me,I'm still an aussie ) and the astro imaging bible over here is a book called "make every photon count" by Steve Richards.It coveres everything from equiptment to processing and everything in between. Hope this Helps
Scott
Old 23-06-2012, 02:15 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspom View Post
hi Chris
I'm living in the uk at the moment (don't hold that against me,I'm still an aussie ) and the astro imaging bible over here is a book called "make every photon count" by Steve Richards.It coveres everything from equiptment to processing and everything in between. Hope this Helps
Scott
Looks good Scott-thanks,had a quick look in the reviews

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43...-photon-count/

seems very popular and helpful.
Old 24-06-2012, 06:38 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Thanks all,and thanks also to those that sent PM's on suggestions on managing data.

I am almost at the point,where I can leave scope and computer alone in observatory and walk away for a couple of hours,and let it collect data.So once I have that happening on a regular bases,I'll hopefully have good data and a fair amount off it.

So-really at the beginning of doing some proper astro photography,so any suggestions on managing data and image processing is well appreciated,I'd like to selected a method of doing the post processing and keep on with that method.

Cheers C
Old 01-07-2012, 08:17 PM
NeilW

I recently bought "Make Every Photon Count", and it's a very comprehensive beginner's book. My only issue is that the U.K. Postage is almost the same price as the book.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

I bought Photoshop Astronomy and Digital SLR Astrophotography from Bintel in Sydney.