Old 02-12-2012, 08:35 AM
snarkyboojum (Adrian)

Hi everyone,

I'm about to make my first scope purchase I think. Wanted to say hi to all the IISers. I've played around with some smaller refractors in my younger years, but going to get an 8 or 10" Dobsonian soon (likely a 10").

I live in the city of Sydney, so not ideal observing conditions - at least nothing like where I grew up where I could see the Milky Way and Magellanic with the naked eye (I spent many happy hours lying in the backyard with my brother's Tasco 8x40 binoculars).

Hoping to do some regular observing and also take any new scope purchase into darker skies on the outskirts of Sydney fairly regularly. Looks like there are some good clubs out of the city to do some observing with.

Now all I need to do is work out which Bintel Dobsonian I'm going to lay money down for

Thanks for the fantastic site, and happy viewing!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:44 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi Snarky
With Dobs as a rule the bigger the better with one important proviso. Large Dobs are just that. LARGE. Even a 10" is a decent sized package and the mount is fairly heavy and cumbersome. So male sure you are happy carting it around before spending too much. Carting a big dob indoors on a winters night at 2am is not the most fun, and the novelty for some can wear off pretty quickly.
That is another way of saying that the best scope is one that gets used the most. Of course in the city, size is just about essential

Malcolm
Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 AM
snarkyboojum (Adrian)

G'day Malcolm,

Thanks for the wise words. Agreed - the 10" is pretty large. I went to the Bintel store in Glebe yesterday to have a good look (got to lift it and move it around). Definitely not the most agile scope I could buy, but nice big mirror for a beginner , and moveable in two parts at least - scope and base separately. I've confirmed that it'll lay across the back seat of the car I have access to too - so I'll be able to drive it around without much trouble.

I'm still thinking on it. The 8" is surprisingly much smaller in volume at least, but it seems to me either would require a bit of effort to move around.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

You won't regret buying a Dob. If you are willing to move it around, you will find it is worth the effort.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:14 AM
snarkyboojum (Adrian)

Hi Shark,

Yep - I've looked through a few dobs (albeit some years ago). Pretty excited to finally own one soon!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I have used an 8" and now have a 12". The bases on both were cumbersome but once you get up to 12" the OTA itself is just plain difficult to move. So I built a modified hand trolley that it lives on permanently. Makes life really simple.

Malcolm
Old 02-12-2012, 04:45 PM
snarkyboojum (Adrian)

Well, I'm the proud new owner of a 10" Bintel Dob!! Put it all together this afternoon. Small boo-boo though, as it shipped with one incorrect screw (one of the screws used to attach the feet to the base is too small!). So, need to get that sorted tomorrow - bit bummed I can't stand it all up yet, but still very happy with it.

FWIW - the instructions are OK, but slightly out of date, i.e. phillips head screws referred to where they're really socket head cap screws, some of the parts are enumerated incorrectly etc. That aside, a very easy "build".
Old 02-12-2012, 05:14 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkyboojum View Post
Well, I'm the proud new owner of a 10" Bintel Dob!! Put it all together this afternoon. Small boo-boo though, as it shipped with one incorrect screw (one of the screws used to attach the feet to the base is too small!). So, need to get that sorted tomorrow - bit bummed I can't stand it all up yet, but still very happy with it.

FWIW - the instructions are OK, but slightly out of date, i.e. phillips head screws referred to where they're really socket head cap screws, some of the parts are enumerated incorrectly etc. That aside, a very easy "build".
Yeah, GSO never spend a lot of money on instructions, mine came with instructions for the previous model! But they are not hard to put together.
Anyway here's hoping for clear skies!!

Malcolm
Old 02-12-2012, 05:43 PM
snarkyboojum (Adrian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
But they are not hard to put together.
True Even easier when you're provided with the correct screws too!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Tablynx (Alf)

Hey Everyone! Glad to become a member of this site , I Joined to try and gain knowledge and share the experience with my children I've been an observer for about 20 years now only looking at the moon and a few planets with a 76 mm Tasco, and now I have the 10" Saxon Dobsonian bit of a difrence.

I live about 90 km North of Toowoomba in Dalby on an acre of land so I do get some great dark skies overhead

I cant wait to have some discussions with this great community.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 PM
grantch (Grant)

Welcome Alf from a fellow Qlder and newbie. Same reason, get started with the kids. Jealous of your location, said from a city boy
Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Tablynx (Alf)

Hey Grant... great to meet... Dalby get a little Black at night great for viewing
Old 06-01-2013, 02:15 PM
aidanm (Aidan)

Alf from a fellow newbie.

Aidan
Old 21-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Robyll (Rob amp Apryll)

Hi

Hi all,

I have been lurking around this forum for a month or two picking up tips and ideas along the way.

My fiance and bought ourselves a 8" Dobsonian for Xmas and are very excited by what we're sure will be a fun and exciting hobby (or possibly obsession!)

We are complete amateurs so please be gentle if I ask a silly question or want some simple advice.

Thanks,

Rob & Apryll
Old 22-01-2013, 03:26 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Welcome Rob and Apryll

That is a great scope to start with, well done on your choice.

Don't be afraid to ask "simple" questions, we were all beginners at some time, and most here are happy to help.

Best advice to start with is to download stellarium (free) as it is a wonderful piece of software that will help you understand what you are looking at.

Second is to try to hook up with some local observing group (usually free) and get some hands on advice and experience on getting the most from your purchase.

Regards
Al
Old 22-01-2013, 05:07 AM
mr bruess
Stargazer who Posts

Welcome Rob and Apryll

Welcome Rob and Apryll

Don't be embarrassed by using beginner astronomy equipment.we all have to start with something. An eight inch dob is very good beginner equipment.

Don't be afraid to ask "silly questions" as a complete novice
Old 24-01-2013, 11:11 AM
elfinke (Trev)

Hi all,

Another new user, though extremely long time lurker! I'm in the New England region of NSW - beautiful skies up here. About to purchase a telescope, it'll be my first 'scope in ~20 years. Like many, I had a couple growing up (including an almost fabled Tasco) and they were fantastic. I saw some pretty great stuff through them over the years.

I've been doing a little bit binocular viewing lately (without a tripod, unfortunately), just trying to remember the star hops and the constellations and so forth.

Trying to convince myself to hold out for the local Astro club meetup before I splash money, but I noticed that an 8" Dob is incredibly cheap these days. I can't remember what the chain of web links was that lead me to be even looking at them the other day, but I damn near fell out of my chair when I saw I could get an 8"er and have change out of $400, amazing (ozscopes and andrews). Must have been a slow morning!

Anyway, just wanted to drop in say g'day. I've got a handful of questions that I hope to have answered if I hold out until the Astro club meet up (I've never used a Dob, for example. I'm not sure of the compromises you make at $500-$600 to get a cheap Goto Mak-Cass or iOptron Reflector, but I suspect they're too great (crappy gears, lousy tripods, relatively poorer optics compared to the same priced Dob etc) to make the purchase that worthwhile)...

Despite saying all of that, chances are next pay day I'll pull the trigger on an 8" and just jump in Oh just wanted to throw a quick whinge in too: innit a bummer how cheap the Meade line of ETX 'scopes are in the US!? I've contemplated using a proxy shipto to buy one and have it shipped here.
Old 24-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi elfinke
Welcome to IIS

The DOB is definitely going to be your best bang for buck, and ideal if your intended use is only Observing. Not so good for astrophotography.

My previous track record included (but not limited to)
Chinese 6" Newtonian on EQ3
SW 8" Newtonian on EQ5
Celestron 4SE (Mak goto)
C9.25 SCT on EQ5 goto
SW 6" Mak on SE6 goto mount
CPC1100 (11"SCT on goto fork arm alt az mount)
SW 10" flex DOB

Any questions?
I prefer of all, the 10" DOB (Which was the cheapest of all the above! -bar #1)
Old 24-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Scorpius51 (John)
Star stuff observer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfinke View Post

Trying to convince myself to hold out for the local Astro club meetup before I splash money, but I noticed that an 8" Dob is incredibly cheap these days. I can't remember what the chain of web links was that lead me to be even looking at them the other day, but I damn near fell out of my chair when I saw I could get an 8"er and have change out of $400, amazing (ozscopes and andrews). Must have been a slow morning!
Hi elfinke, to IIS forum.
An 8" Dob is a great way to start, and continue, in amateur astronomy. Aperture fever does take a grip on many of us after a while, but don't be too impatient to get there! They are exceptionally good value, and you usually get a few reasonable quality Plossl EPs in the purchase. They are light and easy to carry, and to set up.

Cheers
John

PS Don't forget Bintel, too!
Old 24-01-2013, 12:09 PM
elfinke (Trev)

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I don't want to risk paralysis by analysis and I've already got the WAF to grab one of the aforementioned 8" Dobs, better get to it before a change of mind comes along!

In which case, look out for some questions next week!

/edit: I just read through your tags - wow, that is some serious equipment, and history! I'll spend a bit of time googling your gear.