ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-12-2019, 05:23 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Vela SNR: a small gap in the smoke and dust

Hi all,

Being in Canberra I have been having withdrawals because it seems like there has been two months of smoke and/or dust storms obscuring the sky. It's been weeks since I've seen stars but for several hours last night the smoke and dust cleared. Even though the seeing wasn't good I couldn't pass up the opportunity. This is a nine panel proof of concept and first attempt at a mosaic. The subject is the Vela supernova remnant (aka Vela XYZ or Gum 16). This is 4x300s of Ha per panel using A Sky-Watcher Esprit 100ED with ASI1600mm and Astronomik 6nm Ha filter. There's not a lot of data and I didn't use calibration frames because I was just testing the acquisition and processing, and yes, some stars are pinched. The image FOV is approx 4.5x3.3 degrees.

I've just today received a Starizona Apex ED 0.65x flattener/reducer which I'll use for the full project. This will convert the Esprit from f/5.5 with 550mm focal length to f/3.575 with 357.5mm focal length, so hopefully fewer panels and better SNR than the native Esprit. Now all I need is for the smoke and dust to clear for many, many nights to get the data I need...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (VelaXYZ_iis.jpg)
203.3 KB95 views
Old 31-12-2019, 05:37 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Proof of concept would seem to have been proved

Well done getting in between the smoke! I was sick last night (caught a cold while on hols in NZ ) now drinking beer tonight NYE (off the Codrals)... then the smoke comes back aaaand then the Moon...oh joy, oh yaaay

Good luck with the project when you have the flattener/reducer in play (and the skies clear)

Mike
Old 01-01-2020, 04:49 PM
gregbradley

Gotta love widefield Vela's.

Greg.