Old 30-12-2010, 03:11 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
Hello there everyone!
I'm extremely new to astronomy, and know next to nothing. For Christmas this year I bought my hubby a Celestron Astomaster 70EQ and we've played with it once, last night. Had a blast even though we had a heap of trouble using the star finder. We stumbled upon Jupiter and it's moons I think which was a complete fluke as we didn't have a star map or anything lol.
We live in Perth so we headed up to a place near Mundaring Weir so there'd be less light pollution, unfortunately there are a lot of trees though but we managed to get a pretty good view of the sky.
Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I love the fact that everyone here seems so friendly and helpful, I wasn't going to join a forum but I'm glad I did!
haha heyy nettie, it seems jjj has a bit of competition
Old 30-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Leeroy (Lee)

New to Astronomy

G'day All

I am new to astronomy and have just found this forum.. WOW..
My wife brought me a celestron 70EQ for my Birthday and i am hooked..
I did a little viewing while in high school astronomy class in the early 90's and have always had an interest, but not enough time or money to spend on a serious scope.
So last night during a much welcomed break in the weather i set it up and despite the light pollution from Brisbane, was stunned and delighted to see a clear view of Jupiter and its 4 moons ! .

So where to from here? I will continue with this scope for a while but will be looking to upgrade to a larger reflector telescope. I have no idea about Brands or prices so where is the best place to start? I would like to eventualy be able to take some photos as well..

Cheers
Leeroy
Old 31-12-2010, 06:33 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Welcome to IIS Lee,
Where abouts in Brisbane are you?
There are regular get togethers here in the South East. Just check out the Star Parties and Community Events section here. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/f...splay.php?f=16
The next open night at Cambroon Observatory near Kenilworth is next Saturday night. (weather permitting) It's a great social event where you can meet up with other IIS members and get a chance to look through other types of scopes and ask those questions.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Leeroy (Lee)

Hi jjjnettie.. Thanks for the warm welcome.. I am in Carina on the southside. I am a little busy this time of year but will definatly try and get to one of the community events very soon.
The family and i were invited to a friends place in Springbrook for new years eve and i took some time to have a good look arround the sky without all the light pollution.. I was looking arround Orion for the Horse head nebula (wasn't expecting much so wasn't dissapointed when i couldn't see anything) but i did find and was delighted to see in much detail M43 Nebula. I am hooked!
I do have one question though.. I was also looking at Jupiter again and in particular the position of the moons. I have a copy of The SkyX First light Edition which is great for a newbe like me.. I shows the moons of jupiter but not in the positions that i was observing. I checked the date and time and location details in the software and they were correct and i also womndered if my telescope was fliping the image but no it's the right way up.. So what gives, is the software wrong?

Cheers
Lee
Old 02-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroy View Post
Hi jjjnettie.. Thanks for the warm welcome.. I am in Carina on the southside. I am a little busy this time of year but will definatly try and get to one of the community events very soon.
The family and i were invited to a friends place in Springbrook for new years eve and i took some time to have a good look arround the sky without all the light pollution.. I was looking arround Orion for the Horse head nebula (wasn't expecting much so wasn't dissapointed when i couldn't see anything) but i did find and was delighted to see in much detail M43 Nebula. I am hooked!
I do have one question though.. I was also looking at Jupiter again and in particular the position of the moons. I have a copy of The SkyX First light Edition which is great for a newbe like me.. I shows the moons of jupiter but not in the positions that i was observing. I checked the date and time and location details in the software and they were correct and i also womndered if my telescope was fliping the image but no it's the right way up.. So what gives, is the software wrong?

Cheers
Lee
Hi Lee search google for Jupiter2 it is free software that plots the positions of the moons in real time or put a time in it to see the GRS when it spins around.

It is good software.

Cheers Kev.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Leeroy (Lee)

Thanks Kev.. I found a ciopy of the software and low and behold discovered that my computer was out by one day in it's date and time.. DUH... Dunno why i didn't see it before..
So now jupiter's moons look like they are supposed to..

Manny thanks..

Cheers
Lee

Last edited by Leeroy; 02-01-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Huuuda (Petr)

Smile Greetings!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this field of science but it thrills me to the bone. It's gonna be a challenge for me because of a slight language barrier (I'm Czech, moved to Sydney in June 2010) but hey, who wouldn't love challenges right?

I'm about to buy a nice piece of hardware, such as Meade LX200 - I'd like to go for the 14" one but if you - more professional amateurs - say there's no big difference between let's say 10" or 12", I'll accept your wisdom and save a few bucks...

Anyway, this forum has been a source of few precious advices for me already so I don't doubt the time I'll spend here will be a time well spent!

I wish you a successful and healthy new year and clear skies of course!

Petr
Old 05-01-2011, 08:12 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Petr! Welcome.

14" would be nice, but............. how are your muscles? That is a big and heavy tube unit.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:09 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi Petr and
Agree with Erick, I have helped someone move a 14" lx90 (lighter than the Lx200) and it was heavy! Took 2 of us to get it off the tripod!
To be honest I would look at a Collapsible dob or a lightbridge unless you are go to permanently install in an obs, these big SCTs are not the sort of thing you just grab for a quick look. Suggest you go and look at one in the shops or get along to an observing night or star party to compare scope before spending a big wad of $$$!!
Remember, the best scope is the one you are going to use, and if it is to hard to get it out, its just won't be used!

Malcolm
Old 08-01-2011, 12:37 PM
mangrovedutch (Dutch)
SPACE CADET

G'day

G'day Everyone, I am extremely new to Astrophotography, and decided to join this forum for some advice and general information. Once I get a scope, I hope to be posting some great photos. I am currently looking at a Celestron Ultima 2000 8" (quite old), with wedge, that has been offered to me at a pretty good price. I'm not sure if this is suitable for photography, though I have been assured that it is great for photography.
I live south of Brisbane, away from light pollution, so once I get a scope and learn how to use it, I should hopefully be able to produce some nice work. I currently own a gripped 550D and also a gripped 400D with lenses ranging from 10-20mm Sigma to a 150-500mm Sigma Bigmos as well as a Kenko 2xTC and also a full set of Kenko Tubes. I will be running CS5 photoshop and I am currently investigating a variety of stacking programs. I am also looking at joining an Astronomy club soon, most probably the SAS at Ormeau, which is closest to me.
Anyway, hi to all, I hope that everyone enjoys the new year and that we shall see some clear skies soon. It has been raining here for what seems to be an eternity.

Regards, Dutch
Old 11-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Huuuda (Petr)

Thumbs up

Thank you, barx & erick, for your replies. I will do as you advised - I would love to attend a star party!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:32 PM
spaceguy (Ken)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangrovedutch View Post
G'day Everyone, I am extremely new to Astrophotography, and decided to join this forum for some advice and general information. Once I get a scope, I hope to be posting some great photos. I am currently looking at a Celestron Ultima 2000 8" (quite old), with wedge, that has been offered to me at a pretty good price. I'm not sure if this is suitable for photography, though I have been assured that it is great for photography.
I live south of Brisbane, away from light pollution, so once I get a scope and learn how to use it, I should hopefully be able to produce some nice work. I currently own a gripped 550D and also a gripped 400D with lenses ranging from 10-20mm Sigma to a 150-500mm Sigma Bigmos as well as a Kenko 2xTC and also a full set of Kenko Tubes. I will be running CS5 photoshop and I am currently investigating a variety of stacking programs. I am also looking at joining an Astronomy club soon, most probably the SAS at Ormeau, which is closest to me.
Anyway, hi to all, I hope that everyone enjoys the new year and that we shall see some clear skies soon. It has been raining here for what seems to be an eternity.

Regards, Dutch
Hi Dutch, welcome to this site. Yeah I am basically new on here too. Hope you are ok in all the floods and rain up there. I live in southern NSW, in the mountains, and it's dry here, We had our floods about 2 monyhs ago. I hope you go ok with the purchasing of equipment - I'm not really up with all that, but my son bought me a Celestron scope last year, it's a Power Seeker 127, with equatorial mount. It's a reflecting scope with a mirror. Hard to get used of all things upside down. My first great view was Saturn and the rings.

I should check if a club around here too.

I have never put a note on here before, so here goes.

Have a good new year Dutch. Happy viewing. Cheers. Ken
Old 13-01-2011, 05:52 PM
bluemeanie

Hey hello, im just getting into astronomy. I have a 114 mm Newtonian at the moment but am seriously thinking of upgrading. Even with the limited scope i have, i just cant stop looking into the damn thing =).

Looking forward to sharing that with you all, and for any advice.

Thanks to Octane, for directing me here.

Cheers
Old 13-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Welcome, babez.

H
Old 13-01-2011, 06:30 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Welcome to all the new members!
Great to have you aboard.
Old 13-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

AUTOSTAR HBX for LX90. ADVICE AND PURCHASE

Just out of warranty and the LX90 HBX fails to light up! Checked all connections and powe,r but no go. Has any one experienced this problem and if so I'd appreciate any advice and comments.
Also if there's a working HBX suitable for the Meade LX90. I'm interested to purchase or any advice as to where one can be purchased, in Australia preferrably.
Dennis G
Old 14-01-2011, 10:22 PM
mangrovedutch (Dutch)
SPACE CADET

G'day Dennis, I have no experience with a lot of this gear, but when I was researching scopes and mounts, I was told Meade has a tendency to fry mother boards. Not saying it is, but it might help to narrow down the problem. I hope it is something simple.

Regards, Dutch
Old 14-01-2011, 10:34 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis G View Post
Just out of warranty and the LX90 HBX fails to light up! Checked all connections and powe,r but no go. Has any one experienced this problem and if so I'd appreciate any advice and comments.
Also if there's a working HBX suitable for the Meade LX90. I'm interested to purchase or any advice as to where one can be purchased, in Australia preferrably.
Dennis G
Hi Dennis,I suggest you put this enquiry in the Equipment Discussions Forum, I think you will get more help there.
Old 27-01-2011, 11:50 AM
gpb (Chris)

Hi All, Astronomy has always been fascinating to me but now I'm going to take it to the next level. Being very new to this forum it has already provided me with heaps of knowledge and it is changing me from purchasing a SCT to a Dob, mind you this will be my first ever telescope. I know it will take a few months before I decide on which one exactly because now I'm weighing up whether it would be beneficial if I went GoTo.
Old 27-01-2011, 12:15 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Looks like you are asking yourself the right questions, Chris!