Old 31-03-2013, 02:39 AM
ezio49 (Ezio)

Help required with CMOS Camera Choice

Dear friends,
I am new to this forum and it seems I have the same doubt someone of you has about the CMOS camera to buy.
I use a Celestron Mak127 and I am considering to buy or a NexImage 5 or a ZWO ASI120MC (being the price in Italy very close, the first is about 315€ and the second about 290€).
Having a very short experience in astronomy I should like to jave your impression about the camera to select considering also the telescope I have.
Thaks in advance to everybody shall help me.
Ezio
Old 04-04-2013, 08:07 AM
gbeal

Ezio.
what sort of imaging do you want to do?
Given the two prices you list, I would go for the ASI in preference to anything.
For solar you would be better with the MM version (mono) but maybe that can come later on.
Gary
Old 04-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

the Neximage5 is colour only as far as I know, so that would rule it out if you want to do RGB filter imaging with a mono camera. If you are happy to let the camera sort out colour, then either the ASI colour or the Neximage will do it.

The Neximage has a much larger pixel count (5mp) which could be useful for some purposes.

you will not need a Barlow at all with the Neximage5 - it has very small pixels. You will need to get a 1.5x Barlow for the ASI if you want the maximum possible resolution, but it will still work without one.

Not a clear choice - suspect you would be very happy with either. As Gary says - it all depends on what you want to do.

Last edited by Shiraz; 05-04-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 PM
ezio49 (Ezio)

Garyu and Ray,
thanks for your suggestion.
My intention is to start with planetary pictures (moon, jupiter, saturn) then, I shall try DSO because I am attracted by the nebula coluours. Considering that I have a 127mm my intention is to limit the pictures to bright nebula like Orion and similar.
In some italian forum I red that the ASI120mc is better than NexImage5. Probably it depends by personal opinion and by the skillnes of the user.
About the ASI120 i red that it is not compatible with computer using AMD processors. It seems that in this case it works at very low frame/sec. Do you have any info about this question?
Thank you. Have a good day.
Ezio
Old 05-04-2013, 04:16 AM
gbeal

I have an AMD computer, and yes, my ASI was slower than I expected. But, to be fair, so was the DMK41 I used for a while as well. Both were via USB.
I now use a Flea2, with FireWire, and no issues at all.
The ASI would still be my choice, the manufacturer is extremely proactive with support.
Gary.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:38 AM
gregbradley

You'd be better off with a Canon EOS 550D. You can use the video for planets and use normal images for deep sky nebulas. You could get one 2nd hand modified for astro for not much difference in cost.

Neximage camera is pretty low quality as far as I know. You won't be able to take shots like you see on this forum with that. But the Canon is capable of a lot.

Greg.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

I have a QHY5L-II colour that I got for planetary and guiding and from what I've seen so far it's pretty good. Plus I've seen some ok DSO stuff done with it around the net.

I think a DSLR might be a better option for you though, more versatile, and for $328 for a 1100D with the kit lens, why wouldn't you!?
http://www.harveynorman.com.au/canon...55mm-lens.html
That's sooo cheap!!
Plus add a little bit to get Backyard EOS to get the most out of it for planetary and DSO and you're set
Old 05-04-2013, 04:38 PM
ezio49 (Ezio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
You'd be better off with a Canon EOS 550D. You can use the video for planets and use normal images for deep sky nebulas. You could get one 2nd hand modified for astro for not much difference in cost.

Neximage camera is pretty low quality as far as I know. You won't be able to take shots like you see on this forum with that. But the Canon is capable of a lot.

Greg.
The Greg`s suggestion is good. Can I use the 500D in not modificare configuration? In this case I could use thatone of my son.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:44 PM
ezio49 (Ezio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
I have a QHY5L-II colour that I got for planetary and guiding and from what I've seen so far it's pretty good. Plus I've seen some ok DSO stuff done with it around the net.
Pluto,
I do not line the QHYSL-II camera. I shall check on line. Thanks.
Ezio
Old 05-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Neximage camera is pretty low quality as far as I know. You won't be able to take shots like you see on this forum with that.

Greg.
Agreed, the original Neximage was pretty poor, but there is a new one out (Neximage5) with a 5mp Aptina chip that has a good spec - whole different ball game eg: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea.../o/all/fpart/1

Last edited by Shiraz; 05-04-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:59 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezio49 View Post
The Greg`s suggestion is good. Can I use the 500D in not modificare configuration? In this case I could use thatone of my son.
Yes, you don't need to modify your DSLR to use for astrophotography but it helps. I haven't modified my camera and I'm pretty happy with the results I get.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:04 PM
ezio49 (Ezio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
Yes, you don't need to modify your DSLR to use for astrophotography but it helps. I haven't modified my camera and I'm pretty happy with the results I get.
That is a good news. I suppose that if I modify my son's camera he shall not so happy.
Ciao
Ezio