Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

Good observing sites near Perth

Hi,

I just got back from a couple of days/nights camping in the Lane Poole Reserve near Dwellingup. It was good fun, the conditions were great and the skies were reasonably dark. Only problem was the trees. From my campsite the canopy was pretty dense and offered only glimpses of sky, but even from the carpark a perimeter of tall trees meant I spent the night moving around trying to find suitable gaps in the treeline to see interesting objects. It's really not that great a destination for astronomy.

Is there a thread devoted to the topic of places near Perth to find dark skies?
Old 02-03-2015, 07:51 PM
JakePerthWA (Jake)
Astronomy Perth

I've been looking around myself. I have been recommended the oval at Byford sports club. But I'm hoping for something a little darker but still close to Perth. Best bet is over the hills somewhere. I hope we can find something soon!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:28 AM
chuckywiz (Ben)

try mount dale down brookton hwy.. has a nice carpark right at the top and is very quiet might need a 4wd or an old car you dont care about to get there as its a rutted gravelly road... worth the drive though
Old 03-03-2015, 02:13 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I tried to look at Mt Dale, and full of young kids getting their socks off. Nice site but not very nice atmosphere on clear nights.

Also played havoc on the suspension. When twice, one in my van the other in my Hyundai. Not overly happy about it, poorly maintained road.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:16 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

AGWA have site North of the river, while ASWA have sites at Serpentine, Jarrahdale (I used to run Jarrahdale but when Uni started pulled out due to limited time) and Mt Barker and Tammin for more serious DSO. Members only but visitors are allowed for a couple of times.
Old 19-03-2015, 04:33 PM
Sgtfretsurfer
Wonderer

I started in chittering valley at golden globe observatory... it is/was an AGWA site. Not sure if its still open to public nowadays.

Im based in Wanneroo so the most accessible place for me to go is Gingin. Really dark up there, lots of clearings and little dirt roads that nobody is going to drive down at night.

I use this as a guide http://djlorenz.github.io/astronomy/...rlay/dark.html

Its old but it has helped me a lot.