Old 08-12-2016, 09:18 PM
Hanyhan (Hanora)

Help with new telescope choices

Hello!

I'm new to astronomy and I would love some help in picking a telescope. I have done tonnes of research and have left myself extremely confused, the more I learn the more I feel overwhelmed.

I want to start off with a telescope that would be easy to set up and would be portable as I live in the middle of Melbourne city and can't get a nice view of the night sky. I would love to be able to view stars, the moon and of course some planets. My budget is $400.

I like the look of this one! I have noticed dobsonians are recommended a lot for beginners Thoughts?

http://www.ozscopes.com.au/skywatche...telescope.html

I have been on many sites and have read a lot of reviews and I would love someone to please point me in the right direction, thank you in advance!

Regards,
Hanora
Old 08-12-2016, 09:24 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I am going to give the stock standard telescope suggestion...
8" Dob!

Easy to use and store, easy to transport.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:32 PM
raymo

Absolutely second that.
raymo
Old 08-12-2016, 09:40 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Hanora,

You are looking in the right direction with the 6" Dob. An 8" brand new will likely exceed your budget, and often the optical quality can be better in the 6" than the 8" Not sure of the focal ratio of the one in the link, it looks about F6. Check other suppliers, an F8 (slightly longer) will give better views of the planets.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:44 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

The scope you picked would give good views but would suggest you get the 8 inch dob .Same site $549. Much nicer views and not any harder set up. Save just a it longer. It will be worth it. Cheers, Richard
Old 08-12-2016, 09:57 PM
Hanyhan (Hanora)

Thank you for your advice, ok it's looking like the 8 inch is the one!

Which one would be a good light one that you would recommend? Also, would they be easy to to transport out to a nice field in the countryside?

I was looking at this one but it seems to be only F6.

http://www.ozscopes.com.au/skywatche...telescope.html

Thank you,

Hanora

Last edited by Hanyhan; 08-12-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:12 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Yes the 6" is f/8 and the 8" is f/6. So the tube length is the same, one is just fatter but is still back-seat-friendly. Since light gathering increases with the square of the diameter, the relative light gathering is 6^2 = 36 vs 8^2 = 64. So the 8 gathers 64/36 = 1.78 times the light. Not to be sneezed at.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Hanora,

Both the 6 & 8 inch Dobs are fine choices and are often said to represent the best value for money in the telescope market. Normally the 6 inch Dobs are F8 whilst the 8 inch Dobs are F6; so they both have the same focal length. Effectively this means the optical tubes for both scopes are much the same length, although the 6 inch will be lighter and so will its base. However, most working-age men will find the 8 inch light enough to move relatively easily.

The 8 inch telescope will collect more light, however, the 6 inch scope will work well with more eyepieces (and cheaper EPs) than the 8 inch. Also an optical defect called coma is much less obvious at F8 than F6. So there really are some good arguments for either scope.

Whatever U buy, it will be a fine choice, so enjoy the journey. This is a passion that can last a lifetime!
Old 09-12-2016, 07:26 AM
Malcolm

Check Gumtree in your area, there's a couple of dobs.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:23 PM
AEAJR (Ed)

Hanyhan,

How are you doing with the selection of your new telescope?

I have an 8" Orion dobsonian that weights about 43 pounds. Normally I observe from my home, which is i a fairly light polluted location. However when I want to go someplace dark I have no problem lifting the entire unit and putting it the back of my Ford Escape SUV ( I am in the USA).
Old 13-12-2016, 02:13 PM
doug mc

Yes an 8inch dob. I recently bought a GSO 8inch dob. Very impressed. Smooth motions, even at high power.