Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System

Old 12-09-2020, 08:52 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Mars last night

Pointed the scope to Mars last night after a run on Jupiter and Saturn. It cleared my house and the trees around midnight. Gee it's tiny.

I had to barlow further. Good thing is it's bright so in 180s I can get over 10000 subs at ~90fps. Which I think is why I'm struggling getting details with Saturn. I can only do ~20fps and only end up with 2000 subs to stack best case scenario. Anyway here's a first process. Probably went a little hard on it? Processing feedback welcome. Need to learn all this stuff

PS: Added animation here ~1.5h: http://www.astropic.net/astro/mars_anim.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0492.JPG)
14.1 KB92 views

Last edited by multiweb; 12-09-2020 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added animation
Old 12-09-2020, 01:22 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Hi Marc
That's quite an acceptable image, what was the seeing like at the time. Assuming you were using the 212 in CC mode, which camera did you use and a what focal length, frame rate seems slow for Mars, ROI setting has an effect on the frame rate. Hope I'm not stating the obvious.
Just as a comparison, I was out imaging Mars early this morning with a 150mm f8 newt, 2.5 Powermate and ZWO 290. With a RIO at 400 X 300 and a gain setting of 250 I was getting 180 Frames / sec .
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20200912 02_28_45_pipp.jpg)
15.3 KB48 views
Old 12-09-2020, 01:37 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Thanks Jeff. Nothing is obvious to me so lay it on The seeing was coming and going from seeing features quite sharp at time to the whole disc bobbing about. I have about an hour of video in 3min chunks so will review other ser files. I started at 5.2m FL then increased to 7.2m afterwards. I can track really well at that FL so I capture a window cropped right around the disc at 90fps. I now realised that the IR filter is quite dark when doing flats so might try straight LUM next time see if I can increase frame rate and decrease gain. Camera is ASI120MM USB2.0 on latest FireCapture.

What do you think about processing? Ok or am I kidding myself and should dial it back? I get a little excited with the wavelet sliders. Probably coffee induced at 2:00am
Old 12-09-2020, 04:09 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

I don't really see any processing artifacts as such, the image is a bit soft but that is more likely the seeing. Are you governing the focal length by the oft quoted 5 X the pixel size, 7 metres does seem a bit much. 7000 div. by 212 gives a ratio of f33 !
Using an USB3 connection will help increase signal speed from camera to to computer. If the gear only supports USB2 then you are limited .With Wavelet Sharpening, generally I start with about 20% on all sliders and gradually increase to as much as 50%, but that usually starts producing artifacts so usually set around 25 / 30% range for the planets.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:18 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
I don't really see any processing artifacts as such, the image is a bit soft but that is more likely the seeing. Are you governing the focal length by the oft quoted 5 X the pixel size, 7 metres does seem a bit much. 7000 div. by 212 gives a ratio of f33 !
Using an USB3 connection will help increase signal speed from camera to to computer. If the gear only supports USB2 then you are limited .With Wavelet Sharpening, generally I start with about 20% on all sliders and gradually increase to as much as 50%, but that usually starts producing artifacts so usually set around 25 / 30% range for the planets.
Cool, thanks Jeff. I'll try your recommendations for sharpening. At x2 I'm around f24 which roughly what's recommended for the camera just a bit above 5m. With Mars I thought it was a little small so I backed up the camera by another 50mm and refocused at 7m so I could fill the same surface as Saturn. That's the great thing with the FFC. The magnification alone is a function of the distance camera/glass. The focus point doesn't change much. Regarding USB3.0 unfortunately even my notebook doesn't even have USB3.0.