Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2019, 07:47 PM
gary

Does our universe have an antimatter partner on the other side of the Big Bang?

An article today in PhysicsWorld reports on speculation by some Canadian
physicists that "our universe has antimatter partner on the other side of
the Big Bang".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicsWorld
Our universe could be the mirror image of an antimatter universe extending backwards in time before the Big Bang. So claim physicists in Canada, who have devised a new cosmological model positing the existence of an “antiuniverse” which, paired to our own, preserves a fundamental rule of physics called CPT symmetry. The researchers still need to work out many details of their theory, but they say it naturally explains the existence of dark matter.

Standard cosmological models tell us that the universe – space, time and mass/energy – exploded into existence some 14 billion years ago and has since expanded and cooled, leading to the progressive formation of subatomic particles, atoms, stars and planets.

However, Neil Turok of the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Ontario reckons that these models’ reliance on ad-hoc parameters means they increasingly resemble Ptolemy’s description of the solar system. One such parameter, he says, is the brief period of rapid expansion known as inflation that can account for the universe’s large-scale uniformity. “There is this frame of mind that you explain a new phenomenon by inventing a new particle or field,” he says. “I think that may turn out to be misguided.”
Story here :-
https://physicsworld.com/a/our-unive...ay-physicists/
Old 04-01-2019, 08:10 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

How do they come up with these theories? Soundslike that show "fringe"
Old 04-01-2019, 08:19 PM
glend (Glen)

Frankly, the endless speculation is tiring. A few days ago we heard our universe is riding on the surface of an expanding bubble. Today we also heard that the LMC is now confirmed to be colliding with our galaxy, in like a billion years. While this stuff might make a nice PHD thesis, it is pointless in the future of the human race. Does knowing this change your plans for this year, or your New Years resolutions? We and our descendants, descendants, will be nothing more than scattered atoms long before any of this eventuates, if it happens at all.
Where's the Tylenol?
Old 04-01-2019, 08:31 PM
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
How do they come up with these theories?
Another Larson Far Side for today :-
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (larson.jpg)
82.3 KB45 views
Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

There seems to be a bit of believe what I say,even though I don't have any evidence to back it up.
Just put it down to Quantum uncertainty principle.

This paragraph should lead to some serious questions to the publishers of the paper?
Quote)
Turok.

Turok, who also collaborated with Kieran Finn of Manchester University in the UK, acknowledges that the model still needs plenty of work and is likely to have many detractors. Indeed, he says that he and his colleagues “had a protracted discussion” with the referees reviewing the paper for Physical Review Letters – where it was eventually published – over the temperature fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background. “They said you have to explain the fluctuations and we said that is a work in progress. Eventually they gave in,” he says.
I find a lot of Cosmology is framed with the premise,I can't prove it but believe me anyway.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:29 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Another Larson Far Side for today :-
A mini (sheldon) cooper.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:52 PM
RB (Andrew)

Doesn't change my New Year's Resolution.

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CHICKEN.JPG)
106.0 KB41 views
Old 05-01-2019, 09:49 AM
speach (Simon)

other side of a sphere
Old 05-01-2019, 06:04 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I speculate that the universe is eternal and so anti matter could never have formed so I think they need to reconsider.☺
Thanks Gary.
Alex
Old 05-01-2019, 07:03 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speach View Post
other side of a sphere
Like say, the INside, or the OUTside
Old 05-01-2019, 10:00 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Frankly, the endless speculation is tiring. A few days ago we heard our universe is riding on the surface of an expanding bubble. Today we also heard that the LMC is now confirmed to be colliding with our galaxy, in like a billion years. While this stuff might make a nice PHD thesis, it is pointless in the future of the human race. Does knowing this change your plans for this year, or your New Years resolutions? We and our descendants, descendants, will be nothing more than scattered atoms long before any of this eventuates, if it happens at all.
Where's the Tylenol?
INDEED GLEN..
A LOT of these speculations with what premise, reasoning ? ARE starting to sound ridiculous..some of those involved should be embarrassed that they actually publish ..SPECULATION ..doesn't sound like real Science to me!

bigjoe.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:57 AM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
INDEED GLEN..
A LOT of these speculations with what premise, reasoning ? ARE starting to sound ridiculous..some of those involved should be embarrassed that they actually publish ..SPECULATION ..doesn't sound like real Science to me!

bigjoe.

Science speculates all the time. The scientific Method is based on proving or refuting a proposed hypothesis using experimental and observational evidence.
A hypothesis is a speculative, as yet unproven, proposition or theory.

That does not mean that ALL speculations, theories or hypothesis are formulated in the same manner or indeed carry the same weight. A scientist can propose a hypothesis which is tentatively grounded in already proven theorems. Or perhaps, logical or intuitive leaps made from firm theoretical footings - informed guesses.

The process of speculation, along with human creativity, in a sense drives progress in Science. (especially in relation to the very difficult Scientific problems and disciplines)

The Scientific methodology actually permits speculation, especially in the early stages of hypothesis development. One arena where speculation is forbidden is a court of law. But as we well know, a court of law has nothing to do with Scientific methodology or Justice for that matter. ["steal a little and they throw you in Jail, steal a lot and they make you King" Robert Zimmerman, Infidels Album, 1982]

Last edited by Eratosthenes; 08-01-2019 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Typo