Old 14-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Poita (Peter)

Recommend a lens for Pentax K-r

I've been playing with a Pentax K-r and would like to get a couple of manual lenses for various uses.

1) Widefield Astro stuff, using the built in Astrotracer function
2) Lightning photography
3) Macro, I love my bugs.

I intend to use the Pentax as my destructible/experimental camera, so it will go where I don't want to take my more expensive jobbies, so don't want to spend a bomb.
Old 18-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Nico13 (Ken)
Galaxy Hunting

Hi Peter,
I've been a Pentax user for almost forty years now and they have some very fine glass even in the older series of lenses.
Some of your better options would be to try and find some "A" series lenses as these will still allow auto functions on the K-r, minus the auto focus of course.

For lots of info on everything Pentax have a look here .
All of the SMC lenses are very good so it depends on how you intend to setup for the macro. There are dedicated macro lenses of course but they will demand a higher price as you may expect but if you intend to use extension tubes the "A" and "M" the "M" being the earlier and completely manual lens and I'd be looking for f/1.7 or faster the f/1.4.
There is even a few f/1.2 but the faster you get the higher the price again of course.

The other option that is often used is to fit a 50mm f/1.7 for example with a reverse adaptor putting the lens on backwards.

This is an example of what can be done with a lens on backwards.
Possibly the most outstanding macro I have ever seen.

if you see anything you want questions answered about let me know and I will possibly have the info or know where to find it.

Ken.
Old 19-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Poita (Peter)

Thanks for the links, I am really in the dark on lenses for the Pentax, I know there is a history of great glass in their stable, but knowing which is which and how much to pay is tricky. I know my Nikkors off by heart and know when I see a bargain, but with the Pentax I am pretty much blind. I haven't turned a 50mm lens around since the 80s, I was just thinking about that this week. Nice to know the old tricks still work well.
Old 19-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Nico13 (Ken)
Galaxy Hunting

No problems Peter,
Some of the fast 50's even in the older series of lenses can still demand a high price in good condition it just depends on who is selling at the time.
Good old ebay can still pop up some bargains though.
Have a bit of a look and you'll soon get the feel for prices in the current market.

Ken.
Old 21-02-2012, 08:15 PM
mplanet62 (Michael)

Considering most of applications you mentioned are done with manual focus and exposure some old SLR glass may be very workable with adaptors. Cannot say specifically on Pentax but options must be. Do not buy too cheap though-mold in old lenses is a big problem.
Old 21-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Poita (Peter)

That is what I was thinking, manual lenses with hard infinity stops would be the go. I could probably use my nikkor 50mm 1.4 with extension tubes and reverse adapter for the macro as well.