Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 29-07-2018, 08:35 PM
brenchen

Is an HEQ5 with 11kg payload for deep field ok?

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my widefield ED80 to a deep(er) field RC8 (1725mm FL). My imaging accessories adds up to be about 3kg, the RC8 is 7.5kg.

My question is can my HEQ5 Pro mount (quoted payload limit of 15kg) be able to handle this load for imaging and still give me sound result? I do run an autoguider with PHD2 as well.

Thanks!
Brendan
Old 29-07-2018, 09:41 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Short answer is yes, it will handle the load, mine does at least. As long as the gear train, worms etc are well tuned for meshing should have no problems. Balance is the critical factor.
Old 29-07-2018, 10:22 PM
rally

This was also asked back here

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=89225

Does the 11kg include any extra counterweight above the standard issue ?

Total Payload is usually inclusive of standard counterweights only - if the OTA payload is increased then you usually have to add more counterweight and you might come unstuck.
It doesnt sound like your payload is excessive, but mirrors can be like sails in the wind.

Is yours in an Obs or out in the open ? - the breeze might be a limitation.

With a longer focal length any instability will be more likely to show up, plus you have the extra load on the bearings, motors and gears trying to move all that mass.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:50 PM
brenchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally View Post
This was also asked back here

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=89225

Does the 11kg include any extra counterweight above the standard issue ?

Total Payload is usually inclusive of standard counterweights only - if the OTA payload is increased then you usually have to add more counterweight and you might come unstuck.
It doesnt sound like your payload is excessive, but mirrors can be like sails in the wind.

Is yours in an Obs or out in the open ? - the breeze might be a limitation.

With a longer focal length any instability will be more likely to show up, plus you have the extra load on the bearings, motors and gears trying to move all that mass.
Thanks Rally! I did read through that and this: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...p/t-99191.html

As well as asking around in other groups, so unfortunately, it's too much to be comfortable given the mount is rated to 14/15kg, and the load is much more than half that.

However, I have looked further and am now considering a refractor (I'm much more comfortable with than a reflector), which weighs in (with rings) at just above 6kg. I will be adding about another 3-3.5kg on top of that for guider/focuser etc.

I will be shooting out in the open, no obs. And this is really on the edge, from the opinions I read so far, it hasn't been very definite. What do you think?