Old 13-07-2014, 10:32 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Is this feasible or just plain stupid?

I have an Atik 4000 OSC. A great camera, and yes, I do do NB with it, but extracting each appropriate channel from each image and then working on them is tiresome. I want to go back to full mono... but I also would like to retain the large chip size.

SO, with talk of removing the bayer matrix from DSLR's, was thinking would it be possible to remove the matrix from a KAI 04022 chip? Or justplain foolish and risky? (the chip is not exactly cheap!)

I contacted Atik to see how much they would charge to swap to a mono sensor. Awaiting their response.

I am trying to trade or sell this CCD at the moment to go mono again, but am also considering other options.
Old 13-07-2014, 04:10 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

As sir humperies would say it would be a brave decision...
Depends on how confident you are and if you have the right tools of course, I would stay clear given the cost involved if things go belly up.
Alastairsam debayered a DSLR and I think he did it under a microscope, you may want to contact him to see what's involved.
Bo
Old 13-07-2014, 04:39 PM
clive milne

Why not just pick up a Quantix with a 6303e for around $1k?
Old 13-07-2014, 11:06 PM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I have an Atik 4000 OSC. A great camera, and yes, I do do NB with it, but extracting each appropriate channel from each image and then working on them is tiresome. I want to go back to full mono... but I also would like to retain the large chip size.

SO, with talk of removing the bayer matrix from DSLR's, was thinking would it be possible to remove the matrix from a KAI 04022 chip? Or justplain foolish and risky? (the chip is not exactly cheap!)

I contacted Atik to see how much they would charge to swap to a mono sensor. Awaiting their response.

I am trying to trade or sell this CCD at the moment to go mono again, but am also considering other options.

Unless you can find someone who's done it before with exactly the same chip
& who has advice on how they did it -
then I wouldn't do it.

You just don't know how tightly bonded the Bayer matrix is to the substrate.
Old 15-07-2014, 10:39 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Isn't there a further possible issue in that removing the Bayer matrix will also remove the micro lenses? If so then the resulting CCD is not the same as the mono sensor and will be less sensitive. Personally I think this is a poor way to consider the change away from OSC.... Way too risky and probably a less good final result.

Peter
Old 15-07-2014, 10:45 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Like I said, stoooooopid idea. Forgotten about it already.

Saving time again. Looking at the 383 instead.