Old 15-06-2015, 09:16 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Pst

G'Day All,
I am trying to do some imaging using my PST with out any luck so far.I was told to put a 2x Barlow lens on the nose of the camera, I can get a blurred image put I can't get it focus .I am using a Meade DSI any ideas

Ian C
Old 15-06-2015, 09:21 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I have tried to use a Meade DSI II imager with my PST, not with a barlow but just on its own. I didn't have any success with that because the PST doesn't have enough back focus. The sensor is set about 3mm too far back to ever get into focus.
If you're having trouble while using the 2x barlow then I imagine that you're still having the same issue. I was never able to get focus until I bought a QHY5L II.
Old 16-06-2015, 08:04 AM
I.C.D (Ian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I have tried to use a Meade DSI II imager with my PST, not with a barlow but just on its own. I didn't have any success with that because the PST doesn't have enough back focus. The sensor is set about 3mm too far back to ever get into focus.
If you're having trouble while using the 2x barlow then I imagine that you're still having the same issue. I was never able to get focus until I bought a QHY5L II.
Thanks Colin,
I don't have a QHY 5L II but I do have a Orion starshooter guide camera do you think I could use that one .
Ian c
Old 16-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C.D View Post
Thanks Colin,
I don't have a QHY 5L II but I do have a Orion starshooter guide camera do you think I could use that one .
Ian c
Hmmm, not too sure to be honest.
Old 18-06-2015, 06:09 AM
I.C.D (Ian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Hmmm, not too sure to be honest.
G'Day Colin,
I found out yesterday I needed the starshoot pro for it to work or DMK camera thanks for your help Ian C
Old 18-06-2015, 07:16 AM
SteveInNZ

I don't think the DMK will be any better. The sensor to flange distance on the DMK is similar to the DSI, whereas the QHY5L will go inside the eyepiece tube.

With my PST there are two components that make up the eyepiece tube - a spacer and the eyepiece holder proper. In my case, the blocking filter is in the eyepiece holder section but I get the impression that some versions are different. The threads on both sections are the same so I can unscrew them and put the eyepiece section back on the body without the spacer and in that configuration and using a barlow, I can get focus with a DSLR.

Now you have to find out which is stronger - the loctite on the threads or your will to keep trying to unscrew them.

Steve.
Old 19-06-2015, 12:59 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNZ View Post
I don't think the DMK will be any better. The sensor to flange distance on the DMK is similar to the DSI, whereas the QHY5L will go inside the eyepiece tube.

With my PST there are two components that make up the eyepiece tube - a spacer and the eyepiece holder proper. In my case, the blocking filter is in the eyepiece holder section but I get the impression that some versions are different. The threads on both sections are the same so I can unscrew them and put the eyepiece section back on the body without the spacer and in that configuration and using a barlow, I can get focus with a DSLR.

Now you have to find out which is stronger - the loctite on the threads or your will to keep trying to unscrew them.

Steve.
G'Day Steve
I have had a look at my pst and when you take out the eye piece and spacer I have the filter in the bottom part that screw into the main body ,I take it that is not how your pst is put together .can you send me some pic of how your eyepiece and spacer come a part
Ian c
Old 22-06-2015, 07:08 PM
axle01 (Alan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C.D View Post
can you send me some pic of how your eyepiece and spacer come a part
Ian c
Ian i can help with some photos but they are linked as i can't post photos for some reason.

Alan
http://i59.tinypic.com/1p8kg6.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/106a638.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2h4ccpw.jpg
Old 24-06-2015, 05:40 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

You could try this adapter mod. It cheap, simple worked for me on DMK21, 31 and 41. Simply remove the flange that is usually present at the base of the nose piece (grind off with (Dremel or similar))and you will get the extra distance needed. Note this nose piece is 'shorter' than a standard one but the mod should still work as long as the longer one doesn't reach the bottom of the PST eyepiece holder and hold the camera out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (nose piece mod.jpg)
106.5 KB27 views
Old 25-06-2015, 01:55 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

G'Day Alan and Paul,
Thanks for the feed back ,I was doing some looking on the web the other day and found a camera that slides into the eye holder of the PST It was call a Pro-star and you can get them from Myastro shop ,they both come as colour and mono again thank for the info

Ian