Old 14-08-2018, 05:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Python

When I got my Tandy 16k I managed a little programming in basic because things were very easy to get at and as the years went by I became more interested in using it to do something..I managed a simple address list for my them career in real estate sales.
If you wanted to print something you had to write a program really.

Line one print "Dear sir" sort of thing.

I had it in the office and as few had seen a computer it was a great conversation starter and really it was easier to keep an address book for the few buyers that I serviced.

I went on to an Osborne (small screen) which had word star and super cal so my need to program was no longer necessary and I drifted away from going down that road.

But I have read a little about Python and am thinking in an effort to not act old and somehow stimulate my brain I am thinking of trying to learn it.
I am just a mug and I wonder is this too hopeful and if I did learn it could I hope to reach a level where I could use it for something.
I remember sort of seeing something in one of the astro programs that you can write scripts in Python so I wonder if anyone here uses it in astronomy work.
alex
Old 14-08-2018, 06:41 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

I remember looking longingly at the Tandy in my younger years and ended up getting a Sinclair ZX-81 as my first PC. If anyone knows what I'm talking about then they can guess at my age! I quickly moved from Basic to assembly language. There's lots of programming options available now but if you happen to embrace PixInsight, it has the ability to write Javascript plugins to do any extra things you might need.

Kevin
Old 14-08-2018, 09:22 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I've heard of people mucking around with some python scripts and INDI. There's a tutorial you could try out: http://indilib.org/support/tutorials...pberry-pi.html
Old 14-08-2018, 10:08 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

My first computer was an educ8!

I occasionally use python to store scripts for sharpcap. You can learn things like it on something like codeacademy.

And there's always arduino - coding with an application
Old 15-08-2018, 09:39 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Kevin and Chris.
Alex
Old 15-08-2018, 07:21 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I don't think you're ever too old to learn. My first computer was a DSE system 80, Tricky Dicky's clone of the TRS80 which you had. I did some programming in basic and Assembly language, even managed to have some articles printed in APC magazine.

If you're going to get in to Python it's probably a good idea to get a Raspberri Pi, they cost bugger all and if your efforts go nowhere at least you can use the hardware as a good media player.
Old 15-08-2018, 07:32 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

There are some experimental bindings for Python in PixInsight but they haven't been kept up to date or made it to production quality, unfortunately. If I manage to retire perhaps I'll fix that. Having written a PI script or two in Javascript I'd rather not do that even again
Old 15-08-2018, 09:01 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Having written a PI script or two in Javascript I'd rather not do that even again

Colour mask for example. Essential for narrow band processing! Very useful!
Old 15-08-2018, 09:11 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosborn View Post
Colour mask for example. Essential for narrow band processing! Very useful!
Thanks, Kevin
Old 16-08-2018, 07:05 AM
rcheshire (Rowland)

If you are using Linux... find the python...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (astro1.png)
65.9 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (astro.png)
121.4 KB19 views
Old 16-08-2018, 09:09 PM
rally

Alex,

I have a bunch of Python books which I am happy to send to you on loan - so long as they come back !
I love my books

From beginners to advanced

I played around on the Mac but mostly the Rasp Pi

I registered for one of the free online Uni courses, but they expect you to complete all your assignments and studies, otherwsie you will drop out.
But its worthwhile getting to learn the basics first especially if you havent programmed since the 70s in Basic
My first computer was a System 80 with 16k ram too !
Still got it in a storage box - should check to see if it fires up one day !

Cheers

Rally
Old 17-08-2018, 07:26 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Rally
Thanks for your very kind offer however I have a little rule "Never a borrower or lender be" which I find removes one unnecessary complication in life.

I would love to get into Raspberry so I may get one and see where that takes me.
I know nothing qbout them but I expect that being able to include one in my set up could be useful.
Just about to leave for Brisbane for our big adventure and the Pink concert.
I am not a particular fan but the others are.
But I get to see a brother in law who I like, he is a black smith and often makes something for me when I visit.
Old 17-08-2018, 07:31 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
I don't think you're ever too old to learn. My first computer was a DSE system 80, Tricky Dicky's clone of the TRS80 which you had. I did some programming in basic and Assembly language, even managed to have some articles printed in APC magazine.

If you're going to get in to Python it's probably a good idea to get a Raspberri Pi, they cost bugger all and if your efforts go nowhere at least you can use the hardware as a good media player.
Thanks most encouraging.
I will follow your good advice.
Alex