Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 25-03-2010, 10:37 PM
mimosa (Dave)

Smile what brand's/price's of red torch lights

Hi. Forum members, my first thread so here I go. I have a Astro meeting comming up with the Herveybay Astronomy Society for first time also, (read a few threads on this site taking iis advice and joining a club), My family will be comming with me . (were all a bit nervous)! I'm hopping the kid's get into it and its not to high tech for them or me? anyway One of there rules is that we will need a red torch as (it's not cool to use a white light as this may offend others) and I was wanting to know if someone can recommend a place /brand were i can purchase a couple of these (online) fairly cheap as I have five going. (I got a feeling one is not going to be enough) any help would be much appreciated p.s I have recently purchased two scopes. 1. celestron nexstar 102 SLT 2.sky watch 10' Dobsonion as well THE WIFES DELIGHTED (I'm now sleeping in the dog box for a while)!( should arrive early next week)! will defiantly require your HELP.. apologizes for waffling on. I will try to be brief next time...many thanks. Dave.
Old 25-03-2010, 10:43 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Welcome to IIS

Just get some red cellophane to cover your torches, or some red paint. Just keep applying layers until it looks right.
Old 25-03-2010, 10:50 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

you can just replace the bulbs of your normal led light or other wise with a red one.
Old 25-03-2010, 11:16 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

See if one of the local stores (eg Woolies) have the Eveready headlight (sort of like a miner's lamp). It does both red and white light so remember to push the switch to the left - assuming it's the right way up. The batteries last fairly well too.

Not exactly cheap, but you get to have two free hands.
Old 25-03-2010, 11:40 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

You say as much as you want, Dave! Welcome!

Yes, get the Everyready headlight - Coles or Woolies Supermarket or K-Mart would be best - unfortunately $30? This is for yourself! You need your hands free. The rest of the family get several layers of red cellophone over a normal torch, held in place with rubber bands.

But get everyone to let their eyes adjust to the dark. If you aren't going to a dark sky site, you'll be amazed how much you can see safely after 10-15 minutes of allowing eyes to dark adapt. Could be fun for the kids - but no playing "tiggy" around the scopes!
Old 25-03-2010, 11:58 PM
mimosa (Dave)

Thanks, Guys you've made me feel at home. and thanks for the heads up, thought it would cost me heaps. (to easy) appreciate all your comments and all your threads a wealth of info (I'm happy I joined) hope to here from you all soon....MAY THE STARS SHINE UPON YOU"S ALL..Dave.
Old 26-03-2010, 12:49 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Dave,

You can also get the head lamps cheaply from markets, even $2 shops, and use cellophane over them too. Thats what I did.

You can also vary the dimness of the lamp by varying the number of layers of cellophane. Three is a good number of layers to start with, four may prove a little too dim.
Old 26-03-2010, 03:12 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi Dave & welcome.
I "modify" the normal pre-focus globes & fit a 5mm red LED, complete with dropping resistor into the bases.
Can be used in any torch with 2/3/4 batteries.
All this for the lowly cost of just $5 per globe.
I use the cheap "Acme" brand 2 x AA cell from Woollies.
They are very small & you can hold them in your mouth if 2 hands are needed.
There's an article or 2 in here somewhere.

Last edited by RAJAH235; 03-04-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old 26-03-2010, 08:42 AM
mic_m (Michael)

I generally use a Sky-Watcher duel beam flashlight for astronomy: http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtinc/product.php?id=108&class1=5&class2= 501
You can switch between regular white light and red light and there is a wheel for adjusting the brightness of the beam.

I also have another type of Sky-Watcher flashlight: http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtinc/product.php?id=109&class1=5&class2= 501
This also has a wheel for adjusting the brightness but it only has a red beam.

We purchased two of each for our first Messier Marathon with the ASV in 2008 and they have all lasted well.

I personally prefer the duel beam and this is the one that I use at home or when I am out at a star party: it has a greater maximum brightness and I like the fact that I can switch over to the white beam if I need to (e.g. if I need to quickly find something important that I have droped on the ground or when I’m away from the observing field and packing equipment into the car). But really if you just need something basic the second torch is just fine and it costs less too.

If you are buying online you can purchase the first torch for $32 and the second torch for $19.00 at Bintel. Over the phone Andrews Communications sell the first torch for $29.00.

Here are the links to the torches at the Bintel site:
https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=7440
https://ww.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=6889

Dave, I hope that you and your family enjoy your astro meeting.

Michael.

Last edited by mic_m; 02-04-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 26-03-2010, 11:12 AM
GrampianStars (Rob)
Black Sky Zone

Thumbs up

Here's a good head-Lamp
Needs a quick work around
sw1 = 2 white led
sw2= 2 flashing RED led
sw3= 10 white led
will need to open it up and swap over the wiring for the 2 led white / 2 flashing RED led
will get one and try it out
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Red-Head.pdf (109.5 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by GrampianStars; 26-03-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 26-03-2010, 12:56 PM
phranticsnr (Dan)

Ebay has switchable red and white LED headlamps for under $20 delivered. Internet superheros DealExtreme also have a section of Flashlights, Guns & Lasers. It's all in US dollars, but include delivery in the price. They also have parts to make or modify your own lights!
Old 26-03-2010, 01:32 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Welcome to our great little forum.

I use a Energizer head torch, you can get them at woolies for 20-30 bucks i think, they are the best as it leaves your hands free to do what you need to do. and has the red and white lights so that when your wondering around you can use the red but once the night has finished you will be able to switch the bright white light on to see what your doing to pack up.

Good luck and enjoy your new equipment.! the HAS fellas will open your eyes to alot of things.!
Old 26-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

I find the energizer head lamp to be ideal.

Tiltable, flick switch one way for comparitively dim red light, or the other for powerful white light. Just dont mix it up on the field

Its a little pricey at 30-something dollars, but it does its job so well and conveniently its worth it to cut out the mucking around and compromises of lesser alternatives.
Old 26-03-2010, 03:02 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Relax and enjoy the night under the stars.

An alternative to paint and/or red plastic is to use fingernail polish (red) on the lense of a cheap torch...

Why I use fingernail polish is a story that needs it's own thread...
Old 27-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

The end of a red balloon is my favourite cheap fix. Just cut the neck off, slip over the end and secure with a lacky band.

For the long term an LED torch is best, uses less power and batteries usually last for ages, which means it wont fade out on you just you're about to....
Old 27-03-2010, 11:19 AM
okiscopey (Mike)
Rocky Peak Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic_m View Post
I generally use a Sky-Watcher duel beam flashlight for astronomy ... One oddity that should be noted about these torches is that you cannot remove the battery; there is no accessible battery compartment on either ... Michael.
Michael, you CAN replace the 9v battery inside simply by using a small cross-head screwdriver to undo he screws that hold the two halves of the housing together. Well, this is true of the Sky-Watcher LED Night Vision red/white model ... I've just done it!
Old 27-03-2010, 04:08 PM
phranticsnr (Dan)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12322

2x red LEDs, lots of white LEDs and a laser. Under $15 delivered.

Southern China's finest, cheapest lighting!

Admittedly, it's backordered at the moment. So you KNOW it's good .
Old 27-03-2010, 04:30 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I use a Skywatcher led torch I bought from Bintel. Somtimes useful when reading atlases and maps as I can point it at where I want, sometimes the headlamp isn't always what you want.
Other wise I have 2 headlamps, both the energizer brand that have either red or white.
One is covered in 4 layers of red cellophane and I use it if I know I will be looking for really dim stuff, galaxies or faint nebs, or if I am going to be observing with company. The other I use as is with no cello if I am observing alone or looking for brighter stuff.
Old 27-03-2010, 07:18 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

i also use the energizer, on ebay here for 19.95 free post http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Energizer-4-L...9#ht_502wt_909
at coles/woolworths now they are 34.95-36.95, every now & then are $30 on special. I have a red torch as well but use it rarely
Old 27-03-2010, 07:51 PM
pgc hunter

I've got a Celestron dual red led torch with fully adjustable brightness from near zero to blinding. Bought it 11 years ago and hasn't missed a beat.