Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:54 PM
starstruck

this youtube vid is a must see for anyone thinking of buying an ebay laser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmLfw3QzNqg
Old 18-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Muffin Man

hey guys

i have been following your thread as of 20 minutes ago as i was looking for the laws on lasers and restirctions. I have some questions.

1.I'm only a high school student but i have been studying physics, which is the best kinda laser to burn things within a reasonable price? (i am still a silly student and love fire)
2. if wicked lasers (the place where i was gonna buy a laser form) is a scam where can i find a decent laser site either in australia or somewhere i can ship it from?
3. what is the laser clasifications in queensland? are they different from nsw and vic law?
4. when i get my laser is there any safety equiptment i can buy that can protect my eyes e.g. in wicjedlasers.com they have safety goggles.
5. are there accessories that can make my laser even stronger?
6. even though it is not safe is it possible to play skirmish with lasers?

thank you very much if you guys can answer these for me but can u please email me the answers at wupass_2005@hotmail.com
taa
Muffin Man
Old 18-11-2007, 05:09 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
i have been following your thread as of 20 minutes ago as i was looking for the laws on lasers and restirctions. I have some questions.

1.I'm only a high school student but i have been studying physics, which is the best kinda laser to burn things within a reasonable price? (i am still a silly student and love fire)
2. if wicked lasers (the place where i was gonna buy a laser form) is a scam where can i find a decent laser site either in australia or somewhere i can ship it from?
3. what is the laser clasifications in queensland? are they different from nsw and vic law?
4. when i get my laser is there any safety equiptment i can buy that can protect my eyes e.g. in wicjedlasers.com they have safety goggles.
5. are there accessories that can make my laser even stronger?
6. even though it is not safe is it possible to play skirmish with lasers?

thank you very much if you guys can answer these for me but can u please email me the answers at wupass_2005@hotmail.com
taa
Muffin Man
Hmm sorry to say but the only non stupid questions you asked was number 2 3 and 4.
The rest i hope nobody will answer
Old 18-11-2007, 05:09 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Btw: welcome to IIS
Old 18-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Muffin Man

true true

they may be stupid questions but ur forum has stopped me forking out a good 2500 on some crap that don't work but i would at least like some answers
Old 18-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Shawn
Mostly Harmless

Laser pointers are not toys, and whilst people insist on using them as toys laws will come to pass that effect those of us that use them for research and science..So Muffin if you want to burn something, May I suggest a match its much cheaper...

S
Old 18-11-2007, 08:33 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

I think you'd do better searching other forums. Lasers are a sideline to the main interest of astronomy, IMO. There was a fairly long thread in the Whirlpool forums. Do a search on lasers there.

I'm amazed a high school student afford $2500 for a laser (and slightly dubious ). Most of your questions can be answered with a quick Google. But I'll bite on a few...

1. Burning stuff is much cheaper, easier and more effective with matches
2. I purchased a laser from WickedLasers and am extremely happy with it. There seemed to be no basis for the claims in this thread that they are scammers
3. Look it up. Basically anything other than laser 'pointers' (a few mW) are not allowed in most states. It might be confiscated in customs, and you'll get a warning letter
4. Laser safety glasses
5. Don't know, but if there was everyone would be doing it
6. Depends on just what you've got in mind for your skirmish game. You can point them towards each other and make Star Wars type noises, I guess.

So what kind of 'scope have you got?
Old 18-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Muffin Man

sorry

i jumped the gun a little thanks for ur help and i have no life and a job so 2500 is easy money lol
Old 19-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Muffin Man

that's the one i want

http://www.telescopes.com.au/prod7.htm
i have no idea what i want that's what else i need to ask anygood suggestions on telescopes??
Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 PM
spacemanspiff

powerful green laser pointers are expensive but...

I was fortunate enough to google a company, techlasers, that sells them cheap...well, relatively cheaper than any other dealer that was mentioned on this thread.

I took advantage on one of their promos, so I also got safety goggles with my laser, a 75mW green laser pointer. (Safety goggles are a must for anything higher than 15mW) And it was a good buy-one take one kind of deal. Shipping was also fast since they use UPS, it just took 3 days for my order to arrive.

If anybody knows any other company that's cheaper please let me know as I'm saving up for another one to give to my girlfriend.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Night Owl
It was there last time!

Bad news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlasers View Post
Its safe to say that you are not going to be hunted down by the police just because you have an overpowered green laser pointer. That is, if you use it in privately and do not use it to cause a disturbance. Its common sense guys, take a 1mW laser pointer outside and shine it on some cops, it'll end you up in jail. Take a 300mW Wicked Lasers Spyder II GX outside on the Meade and shoot the stars, careful with the planes and you'll be alright. I tried that Dragon Site, they paid me to spam the internet, but they screwed me, so I don't suggest them anymore. The most trusted sites are abeland1.com (low powered) and wickedlasers.com (high powered) for green laser pointers.
Don't be so sure...

A friend of mine got a high powered greenie off the net from overseas. Two weeks later he got a call from from the Australian Federal Police, and they told him, take it to the local police station and surrender it, or be charged with a Federal offence of importing and being in possession of a prohibited import. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Galactic G (Greg)
Space is big. Really big.

Wow, after reading all this fine information I decided to have a look at my Laser Collimator to see what power it emits.

On the sticker it said <5mw.

Now, for me, Victorian Law applies, so I decided to try and find a bit more information on what made an illegal laser.

I found this article http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA256...erpointers.pdf which has some very informative information.

Quote:
The regulations prohibit the
import, manufacture, sale,
possession and use of laser
pointers with a laser beam
emission limit greater than one
milliwatt (Class 3A, 3B or
4 according to the
Australian/New Zealand
Standard AS/NZS 2211). Laser
pointers of Class 1 or Class 2 are
permitted.

The sticker on the Laser Collimator states that it's a Class 3A product.

I guess I'll think about handing in my prohibited weapon. Or forget I ever owned one......
What I have to find out now is if I have a "Lawful Excuse" as mentioned in the Control of Weapons Act 1990.

Last edited by Galactic G; 06-02-2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: add the bit about "Lawful Excuse" and change font size of quote.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:50 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

A description of astronomical purposes (using as a finder mounted on telescopes or hand holding to point out objects in the sky to others) may be considered sufficient reason to grant an approval to possess a prohibited weapon. I'm sure a background check is done. Membership of an astronomical club or association can only help your application. Demonstrating that you understand the potential danger of the beam or its reflections to peoples eyes and that it should not be shone at aircraft, cars etc. can also help.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:41 PM
madtuna (Steve)
an overactive imagination

translations

I need a 250 mw laser pointer because I am an astronomer and use it to point out stars to my friends. = I want to zap low flying bats.

I need a 250mw laser pointer to use as a dob mounted star finder = I want to mount it on a stick and pretend I am a Sith lord

I need a 250mw laser pointer to mount on my 5 1/2" refractor because they are easier than my straight through finder = I want to try and pop street lights and burn ants and spiders

I need a 250mw laser pointer for my 10" SCT because the angle of the finder at zenith hurts my neck = I'll teach that cat from over the fence to crap in my yard.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Night Owl
It was there last time!

Badge engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic G View Post
Wow, after reading all this fine information I decided to have a look at my Laser Collimator to see what power it emits.

On the sticker it said <5mw.

Now, for me, Victorian Law applies, so I decided to try and find a bit more information on what made an illegal laser.

I found this article http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA256...erpointers.pdf which has some very informative information.

The sticker on the Laser Collimator states that it's a Class 3A product.

I guess I'll think about handing in my prohibited weapon. Or forget I ever owned one......
What I have to find out now is if I have a "Lawful Excuse" as mentioned in the Control of Weapons Act 1990.

Yeah, the tag on my collimator says its a class IIIa as well, with a maximum output of <5 MW.

However, I seriously doubt that it was even greater than 1MW, as I have a few 1MW kicking around and it was absolutely no brighter than any of them. And in any event I replaced it with a 1MW, with a better focused beam, that cost me less than $6. And I also get a few cool picture lenses too!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Night Owl
It was there last time!

You want cheap power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtuna View Post
translations

I need a 250 mw laser pointer because I am an astronomer and use it to point out stars to my friends. = I want to zap low flying bats.

I need a 250mw laser pointer to use as a dob mounted star finder = I want to mount it on a stick and pretend I am a Sith lord

I need a 250mw laser pointer to mount on my 5 1/2" refractor because they are easier than my straight through finder = I want to try and pop street lights and burn ants and spiders

I need a 250mw laser pointer for my 10" SCT because the angle of the finder at zenith hurts my neck = I'll teach that cat from over the fence to crap in my yard.
Beat this for value!

200MW for $29.

But read they safety warnings first! These suckers emit visable and invisable IR light, which may diverge and reflect at different directions.

AND IF THE INVISABLE IR IS REFLECTED BACK IN TO YOUR EYES YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE IT UNTIL IT HAS TOASTED YOUR RETINA!

http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com/...677d271ff0a126

The more I think about these things the more worried I get.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Geoff-

I was tempted by a higher power laser but decided I had no real basis for getting one besides tech-lust.

The IR factor is scary, I thought the visible light on its own was powerful enough to blind you but if you can't even see part of the emitted light it's even worse.

Sketchy.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:04 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Wow, MegaWatts......
Old 11-02-2008, 11:03 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
A friend of mine got a high powered greenie off the net from overseas. Two weeks later he got a call from from the Australian Federal Police
Why didn't they just confiscate it on the spot?
Old 26-06-2008, 12:08 PM
murray@nsas (Murray)

If the laser is over 3mW it is a prohibited import.

You will be very lucky if it gets past Customs.

Lasers greater that 1mW are not allowed in NSW without a dangerous goods permit.

I intend to apply for a DGP soon and will keep you posted.