Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 22-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan gould View Post
Never had a problem with Andrewscom even when a WO refractor purchased by me had astigmatism and some other errors. Replaced without a murmur. That's why I recommended them.
Allan
Same here with replacing a Long Perng refractor
Old 22-03-2013, 08:38 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Bad day I reckon , his satalite fell from the sky ? just that morning ?. .
Good astro suppliers that know the rules , Southern hemisphere astronomy , has us southern people talking alot .
There aint many of us and we do keep in touch world wide and bad press kills a ****ty seller very fast astro gear wise ( look on guntree for this) .

Andrewscomm is only one of 4 main astro gear suppliers in Australia and they would have seen this thread by now . .

Thats why .
Small community us people .
I apoligise for them . .

Brian .
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn01 View Post
Same that's why I went there as most people on here said it was a good place to go maybe just a bad day or something not sure but all good just want to get a nice new scope at least 8" and goto but all the talk abut nexstar and some of the problems now I need to think again o well just save up a bit
Old 22-03-2013, 08:45 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

68 post's , and you comment like this , ? .
Thanks for the run down on importers , I apoligise if this is offensive .
Buy local , thats my vote .

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ59 View Post
Lane, this topic gets brought up with monotonous regularity in the atronomy community for as long as i can recall. Nothing changes, never have and never will.

I has read countless threads across several forums over the years complaining about it.

I know other members previously in this thread have raised some questions for you but I'll ask them again for your consideration...

1. When you acquired your overseas price, was it via the vendor's automatic website? Did you confirm from an actual human being that the will definitely ship to Australia? If you simply calculated the price via the vendor's checkout, then wait until a human being intervenes in the warehouse. I have personally had orders cancelled after it wa discovered I was not in the US.

2. If your 8SE is faulty you will have no warranty support anywhere he in Australia.

3. Have you factored in 10% import GST?

4. As mentioned, if you mention the vendor there is a good chance Celestron will be advised and the vendor will be penalised (and you won't get your order).

5. As Barry said, $2400 is a pretty good price for an Australian Retailer.

6. Whilst I understand you are "outraged" over the $5199 MSRP, realistically they are being sold for $2400, so no need to get upset over a possible marketing ploy by a local retailer.

7. As a side note, this range does not have a clutch, so you cannot disengage the drive and operate the scope by hand. Are you aware of this? I only point this out because it is something that is often pointed out with the SE range. I know because I've been a part of a number of threads in forums in the US and UK which have raised this topic.
Old 22-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Astro_Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
68 post's , and you comment like this , ?
Maybe I'm having a slow day, but I'm genuinely confused as to what was supposed to be wrong with Russ's post (#11).
Old 22-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Russ59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro_Bot View Post
Maybe I'm having a slow day, but I'm genuinely confused as to what was supposed to be wrong with Russ's post (#11).
I too am confused as to this response. Is there anything i have said which is incorrect, not factual, offensive or out of place??? I have provided some genuine advice based on my experience.

Is it because I have only 68 posts here on Ice In Space?? Just because I have only 68 posts on Ice in Space does not mean I am a beginner.

Regards, Russ
Old 23-03-2013, 12:08 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Ignore him Russ

Your post makes complete sense, mate
Old 23-03-2013, 12:38 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I've had thoughts of importing from the US instead of buying locally.

The main thing that has stopped me so far has been the warranty issue, however I have discovered that if you buy within the US (pick up yourself and/or ship to a US address), then ship it to Australia yourself, the warranty counts here still.

It then becomes an equation to solve, for these variables:

Local price in AUD (plus local shipping cost - usually free within Aus for the level of gear we're talking about)

vs

Price in USD + US Address Shipping cost (usually free, although if you're picking it up yourself - air fare, etc; or extra for those services that provide US addresses for you) + Shipping to Aus cost + shipping insurance + 10% GST + currency conversion costs if any.

So, that should give you an idea of the difference in cost, but it doesn't include intangibles like the "hassle factor" (as I think of it).

Personally I'd like to buy locally, but when I see things like this (as a sample, no sale prices, best Aus price I've found, "random" US sites pricing):

Code:
Item               | Aus Price | US Price
8" CGEM 800        | $4399     | $2199
9.25" CGEM 925HD   | $5499     | $3499
11" CGEM DX 1100HD | $7499     | $3699
...I start to really consider how much extra money I'm likely to spend and the significance of the "hassle factor" drops a lot.

From the above list, I'd buy locally for the 8", probably buy locally for the 9.25" (but grumble), but for the 11" seriously consider the self-import option.
Old 23-03-2013, 02:47 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Code:
Item               | Aus Price | US Price
8" CGEM 800        | $4399     | $2199
9.25" CGEM 925HD   | $5499     | $3499
11" CGEM DX 1100HD | $7499     | $3699
You're not finding the best deals in Australia. You need to do more homework.

CGEM 800 (I assume the HD version) for $3480, BTOW.

Couldn't be bothered looking for the rest...but suffice to say Homework gents.

Oh a CGEM 800 (non edge HD version) for $2999 from OZ scopes.

I know what you are saying and I have purchased plenty from OS but there are traps for the uninitiated. I remember a gent last year buying OS ...was advised not to but he went ahead...it all went bad he paid top dollars and ended up with junk.

OS suppliers are not supposed to sell scopes like Celestron & Meade to OS customers, although they can sell floor stock and opened boxes. These do come up occasionally.

Shipping from USA can be very high you need to use a good shipping company, add GST, insurance and customs handling fee's by companies like DHL, UPS.

Buying from OS...do your homework as well. Finally I must say prices have dropped in Australia and some Australian suppliers are almost decent ATM.
Old 23-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Rod771 (Rod)
Turn the lights off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
but for the 11" seriously consider the self-import option.
I landed mine for $3300 less than the local price.

The local prices have dropped which is a good sign but they're still too high, making the shipping risk less of a concern.

I'm always happy to buy local but not when I feel like I"m being ripped.
Anyway ,the government still got their 10%

Last edited by Rod771; 23-03-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 23-03-2013, 03:21 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

@wasyoungonce: Hmm, so there's quite some variation on the 8". I didn't catch that... That actually makes it quite reasonable and definitely a "no-brainer" to buy locally.

Using OZ Scopes as an example for the other 2: 9.25 is $5750 and the 11 is $7950.

So, it seems the retailers here do have the capacity to reduce the prices significantly, given the 8" prices you showed, however they're not doing it for the higher end models.

And I do not disagree with you at all regarding the need for good shipping company, etc - it's just one of the many "hassles" to manage.

@Rod771: $3300 less - even if it's only $2000 less now, it's still probably worth it

Edit: keep up with edits in other posts.

Last edited by lazjen; 23-03-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 23-03-2013, 03:59 PM
martyn01 (Lane)

Seen on quick sales they got he nexstar 8se for 1790 now anyone got a scope from them
Old 23-03-2013, 06:18 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

No problem importing something from OS but do do the math and homework 1st.

There are many threads on this in this forum so a wealth of experience even for little things like "what's a good reputable OS shop"...I mean this matters! CN has a thread on a dealer that has gone bad but is still accepting orders that they never supply! I read of a similar thing in this forum not long ago as well.

Sometimes it pays to pay a little more for a reputable dealer.

I am not one of the "experienced & well informed OS buyers" of this forum! Sure I purchased some big ticket & costs items OS and these turned out fine...except for an UPS customs presentation fee on one item.

It's also cheaper to buy from China that USA!

In fact if it's cheaper to buy an item that was made in China, shipped to USA then transported to you....then something is wrong with our system of distribution. Probably "Volume"!
Old 23-03-2013, 08:00 PM
martyn01 (Lane)

I'm loving this site so many people so much info it's so grate when looking for a new scope thx to all for your help and info about everything
Old 24-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

I recently bought a panasonic camera from Japan, brand new for $230 inclusing shipping to australia. Granted it was the 'japanese' model and teh menu is in japanese, but the same camera in australia with english menu's sells for $899. For the sake of $670 I was quite happy to forgo any warranty and the inconvenience of some illegible menu items.

If you have a family member / friend in the US, then feel free to screw the corporate fat dogs that want to rip us all off because we are a country with 'wealth to spare'. Have the item shipped to them, and have them send it over. I doubt you will find any US vendor willing to ship to oz as they aren't allowed. Considering you will be forgoing the warranty, the second hand value of the item will probably be below US$1000 anyway.
Old 25-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Max Vondel (Peter)
Time Traveller

Sensible Advice

Please consider the 10% GST as mentioned by Russ59
Local service etc
For a major investment........don't save $100...for what may cost you a lot more later

Regarding pricing......
A retailer can charge any amount unless specified by contract
You can sell anything at your price here on the astro classifieds!
So why not retailers at their price choice?

Some ppl seem to think that it is their (supplier) moral obligation
to sell everything as cheap as possible and become totally outraged
if they charge X more then the other guy
You folks should grow up and learn some basic commercial realities!
Besides ....... You always have the choice not to buy it

Plenty of ppl have listed price comparisons
And if you are clever about getting a bargain...shop till you find it
Why complain about pricing and so and so
If the local suppliers don't make any money...then they won't be around very long.
Then all our purchases would need to come from abroad.

After all, you are not shopping for a packet of crackers
The cheapest is not always the best

Old 25-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

I bought my C11 OTA from a US shop when they has a special price. I had it sent to a US address which is an on freight company. They then sent it to me here in Oz. even with the GST and customs fees, I was $1500 better of than the cheapest Aust price( with the exception of the WA shop mentioned in another thread that is very unreliable ?fraudulent).
For an item like an OTA I was willing to risk the warrantee as I could almost buy a second scope for the price difference. It depends on the risk of the item being faulty. Electronics worry me more and I would probably be more likely to buy local for more risky items.
Terry
Old 25-03-2013, 10:39 AM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
I bought my C11 OTA from a US shop when they has a special price. I had it sent to a US address which is an on freight company. They then sent it to me here in Oz. even with the GST and customs fees, I was $1500 better of than the cheapest Aust price( with the exception of the WA shop mentioned in another thread that is very unreliable ?fraudulent).
For an item like an OTA I was willing to risk the warrantee as I could almost buy a second scope for the price difference. It depends on the risk of the item being faulty. Electronics worry me more and I would probably be more likely to buy local for more risky items.
Terry

I am tempted to do the exact same thing here, it's no different in Europe and I could use that extra cash for the mount.
Although some dealers are becoming very competitive it is still not even close.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I import from the USA all the time (NOT telescopes). I have the items sent to my friend in the US. He then sends to me. Since he was the initial consignee/recipient, the item is now SECOND HAND when it comes to me (and LEGALLY too), and can be declared for whatever value he sold or gifted it to me for. Have them include an invoice / bill of sale / stat dec. I believe saving a LOT voids any warranty value.

If you feel like pandering to the Government extortion, then go right ahead, pay your 10% GST/duty.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:28 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

Great thread please keep the comments coming guys, i believe in supporting local shops though when it comes to expensive gear, there is a huge amount of price gouging which can not be justified.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:50 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
If you feel like pandering to the Government extortion, then go right ahead, pay your 10% GST/duty.
Personally, I'd accept the GST - that part of the cost is not the extortion and is "normal" legal process.

Making the cost be close to double the US price is plain gouging and extortion - and that's not the government's doing, but it seems to be the distributor's action combined with manufacturer apathy, perhaps?