Old 21-02-2017, 01:48 AM
Granada
The truth is out there

Question What to expect

Hi all, I'm new to observational astronomy. Just purchased a collapsible 14" Dob and a few nagler eyepieces. Tried to look at Venus a few weeks ago but all i could see was a blurry blob. just wondering, what sort of images of planets could I expect to see with my setup? can I see rings of saturn or any details on Jupiter? Do i need to buy a barlow lense to magnify the view?

Thank for all the help!!
Old 21-02-2017, 08:23 AM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada View Post
Hi all, I'm new to observational astronomy. Just purchased a collapsible 14" Dob and a few nagler eyepieces. Tried to look at Venus a few weeks ago but all i could see was a blurry blob. just wondering, what sort of images of planets could I expect to see with my setup? can I see rings of saturn or any details on Jupiter? Do i need to buy a barlow lense to magnify the view?

Thank for all the help!!
with that telescope you should be able to see great detail in Jupiter, the rings of Saturn along with a number of divisions and the crescent of Venus. what size is the eyepiece you have on? for planetary you need high magnification, your blurring could be down to low magnification eye piece, poor seeing to poor focus, possibly collimation issues as well. a barlow may be in order

keep in mind that Venus will look like a blob, but a blob with a crescent. also, thinking about this again, if you are seeing a blob then i am assuming that the blob is relatively large, perhaps seeing is the issue. some days can be like this with no detail able to be resolved. have a look around at your surroundings, any large brick walls that have had sun on them all day will radiate heat and kill your seeing.
Old 21-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Granada
The truth is out there

Thanks for the reply Somnium. To answer your questions:

> what size is the eyepiece you have on?
I've tried using my TeleVuew Nagler 9mm (Type 6) but I also tried the 10 & 25mm eyepieces that came with the scope all with the same (or similar results).

> possibly collimation issues as well
I've collimated the scope with a laser collimator so that's one less thing to worry about

> i am assuming that the blob is relatively large,
Yeas it was filling almost half the view

> any large brick walls
That's definitely a possibility, I was observing in front of our brick building.

I'm just afraid that I didn't damage the primary mirror when I gently wiped it with a tissue (to get rid of the accumulated dust) before realising what a delicate process cleaning mirrors is. Then i cleaned it as per youtube instructions (lukewarm soapy water bath, gentle wipes with a moist tissue without any pressure, rinsed with distilled water). That's how you're meant to do it, right?

Anyway I'm still stumped. Will try to aim at some other celestial objects to see how i go. if anyone has any other tips please let me know.
Old 21-02-2017, 07:07 PM
Wilso

Hi Granada,
Start at the beginners forum, there's heaps of information , threads and links to help you out. I only have a refractor and not experienced with a dob!
I'm sure someone else will give you more advice.
There's plenty of users out there.
Good luck
Old 21-02-2017, 07:45 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada View Post

Thank for all the help!!
Hi Granada.Ole!!
An 25 wratten red filter will help on Venus, and a 82a Blue filter on the others; I've even used an Astronomik or other CLS FILTER-city light suppression ones with telling effect!!
bigjoe