Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 20-01-2012, 01:56 PM
misha

Question SkyWatcher SW500S (750x150) short tube? Need help please.

I am looking at purchasing a SkyWatcher 150x750 reflector on EQ3-2 mount and there seem to be a few model alternatives out there...

In particular, I've been lookig at the Skywatcher SW500S at Bintel, (note the "S" in the model number) and was wondering if anyone had any experience using this particular scope? Is it a short tube one? or do they use barlow to extend the focal length? Looks like a normal newt to me though...

Any input from people that had hands-on experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 20-01-2012, 05:13 PM
LightningNZ (Cam)

Hi Misha,

I suspect there's a SkyWatcher 150mm reflector with a longer tube that's not sold by Bintel. The 'S' model is just the F/5 version they do sell.

I'd be keen to hear what you think of the EQ3-2 with this scope. I have the older EQ3 and while it's absolutely fine for visual use, it's hopeless for astrophotography.

Best wishes,
Cam
Old 20-01-2012, 08:53 PM
misha

Thanks for the reply, LightningNZ.
What confused me was that Andrews advertises the same(?) scope (without the "S") and they explicitly say their 150x750 is NOT a short tube (S) one ??? I will call Bintel tomorrow to clarify the long/short tube question. It all looks to me like a marketing stunt.

As for the mount, I will be using it only for visual observing and do not intend to do any photography with it. I guess it should be ok....

Lets' see how we go. I will post my findings as soon as I get an answer.
Old 21-01-2012, 06:48 AM
DJ N

Hi Misha,

Hopefully I can give you a bit of information on the 150mm Newt in the next few days. I ordered one from Andrews on Thursday. I was looking for a "small" scope to sit on my SKywatcher AZ4 for quick viewing sessions, so bit the bullet and ordered one, especially at the price Andrews have them for (currently includes free shipping as well). Going by the specs, I would say that there is no in-built barlow as the scope is f5 and the tube length is around 690mm long.

Cheers,

Daniel
Old 21-01-2012, 09:54 PM
misha

Thanks, DJ. It would be great to get some brief feedback on the scope. I am not after anything spectacular. I just need a scope that will succesfully meet the expectations for a 6" instrument.
Old 25-01-2012, 10:06 AM
DJ N

Hi Misha,

Well the scope arrived yesterday. It was very well packed.... the usual Skywatcher double boxing and the OTA held in place with foam blocks. The scope comes with the rings and dovetail, a 6x30 finder, and a 28mm 2 inch eyepiece.

All up everything was in good order. The focuser was a bit loose, so I adjusted the tension allan bolt and all is good. I have mounted it to the AZ4, and it is absolutely rock solid on it. It is literally grab-n-go. I can carry the complete unit without having to dismantle anything.

I did manage a quick first light. It was absolutely stinking hot last night here in Adelaide, so I could not be bothered staying out for too long. The scope arrived with collimation fairly intact. I did a quick check, and for first light, close enough was good enough. I managed to get a quick look at M42, Tarantula, 47 Tuc and Eta Carina. All up, quite happy with the scope. Deep sky objects are a bit brighter in comparison to the ED120 (but the ED120 does have a "crisper" view), but not as bright as what I can remember when I had the 12 Inch dob.

All up, for $249 it is a great buy. My main reason for purchasing this was to have a quick portable setup to use at a minutes notice, without having to remove the ED120 from its imaging setup in the 'observatory'.

I cannot comment on the EQ3, but the AZ4 (with the stainless legs) suits the 150mm very well.

Hope this helps. I can post a couple of shots of the setup once I get home tonight.

Cheers,

Daniel