Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-11-2017, 08:57 AM
vlazg (George)

APM Telescopes

Has any body have any experience with APM telescopes. i am looking at the
Super ED 107 f4.9 .
The cost would be about $ 5000 delivered, are they worth it?
George
Old 30-11-2017, 09:43 AM
glend (Glen)

I looked hard at them, but went with a TS Photoline Triplet. Have a look at the Teleskop-Express TS Photoline Triplet APOs shown here:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...elescopes.html

Excellent value for money, using FPL-53 objective elements, good build quality, strong imaging rack and pinion focusers, and good range of reducer choices. I own two of them now, the TS115 and the TS80.
Old 30-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Kunama

Aren't these two the same scope as the SharpStar 107 just with different lables stuck on them but one comes with a Riccardi reducer.

At $5K one would surely look at a Tak FSQ106 ED in the used market......
Old 30-11-2017, 12:13 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Considering the price for a 107 direct from Sharpstar, I wouldn’t be consideringTS or APM (let alone the SV relabel).

Hans’ as-new FSQ106 in the trader is a fantastic alternative
Old 30-11-2017, 01:34 PM
vlazg (George)

Thanks all, will reconsider my alternatives.
Old 30-11-2017, 03:33 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlazg View Post
Has any body have any experience with APM telescopes. i am looking at the
Super ED 107 f4.9 .
The cost would be about $ 5000 delivered, are they worth it?
George
Im thinking about a purchase also from them ,or the very,VERY respected TELESCOP SERVICE(Express) In Germany, (you can use there page translator on top right of their pages, it sells APM SCOPES ).Marcus Ludes does a Strehl test report to ENSURE you get a good one .
Thats a super scope from all accounts.
Or just by a second hand Tak 106 as most do.
Copy?..http://www.sharpstar-optics.com/engl...?c=msg&id=118&
Cheers bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 30-11-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 30-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Wavytone

Hi George, Yes I've bought several things from APM and TS - all but two arrived... eventually.

One issue is being German they use DHL as the courier who are terribly slow, can take 6-8 weeks for a parcel to arrive - and they hand it to Aust Post for GST collection and delivery here.

Also DHL lost two of mine before, so definitely take out insurance on an expensive item.
Old 30-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Kunama

I have had several orders from Telescope Express, all have arrived within 14 days of being paid for....
I haven't bought from APM directly ( yet !!! )
Old 01-12-2017, 12:43 AM
joelshort (Joel)

The best scope I've ever owned was an APM 115mm f/7 LZOS triplet. The LZOS optics are among the very best and I'm not sure if anyone other than APM offers LZOS optics anymore. In my dealings with APM I have always found Markus Ludes to be informative and promptly answers my questions.

For your purposes, as others have said you might be better off looking at another 106-107mm scope. There's lots of good offerings out there.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:14 AM
Wavytone

LZOS were ordered to cease production for non-military sales. The LZOS glass APM have is the last, for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:01 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
LZOS were ordered to cease production for non-military sales. The LZOS glass APM have is the last, for the foreseeable future.
That's a shame. Might be then quite challenging for APM to provide with highest quality telescopes in the future as they do now.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Tasastro (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
I have had several orders from Telescope Express, all have arrived within 14 days of being paid for....
I haven't bought from APM directly ( yet !!! )
My experience with APM has been good so far. I bought my Intes MN61 Maksutov Newtonian second hand from them last year. It was posted on Ebay with a best offer option, and a freight charge of $41.00 to Australia! Put in a fairly low offer, which was accepted and the scope was cleared through customs in Australia about 10 days later.

The scope was in excellent condition - like new, but so radically out of collimation I was surprised that anyone could have used it for astronomy. It looked like the previous owner had tried to collimate and got into so much trouble that he gave up and traded it in. Fortunately the primary was not far out and the recollimation was quite easy. It's a brilliant scope - just very heavy.

It was not sent through the postal system. I will have to look it up to be sure but I think APM used Toll in this case although I see they quote DHL as their freight company on their web site. The issues Wavytone has had are possibly due to Deutsche Post subcontracting postal delivery services to DHL. Small parcels sent by post from Germany go by DHL internationally then are handed over to Aust Post for local delivery.

Last edited by Tasastro; 01-12-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:34 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
That's a shame. Might be then quite challenging for APM to provide with highest quality telescopes in the future as they do now.
Even FPL53 is being phased out..Lets hope not, for this giant of the refractor world...they make some incredibly large and expensive ones for professional observatories.

bigjoe
Old 01-12-2017, 02:37 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasastro View Post
My experience with APM has been good so far. I bought my Intes MN61 Maksutov Newtonian second hand from them last year. It was posted on Ebay with a best offer option, and a freight charge of $41.00 to Australia! Put in a fairly low offer, which was accepted and the scope was cleared through customs in Australia about 10 days later.

The scope was in excellent condition - like new, but so radically out of collimation I was surprised that anyone could have used it for astronomy. It looked like the previous owner had tried to collimate and got into so much trouble that he gave up and traded it in. Fortunately the primary was not far out and the recollimation was quite easy. It's a brilliant scope - just very heavy.

It was not sent through the postal system. I will have to look it up to be sure but I think APM used Toll in this case although I see they quote DHL as their freight company on their web site. The issues Wavytone has had are possibly due to Deutsche Post subcontracting postal delivery services to DHL. Small parcels sent by post from Germany go by DHL internationally then are handed over to Aust Post for local delivery.
Great scope for sure...and cheap freight!!
bigjoe.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Tasastro (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
The story about LZOS ceasing non-military production was a response to US and european sanctions on Russia. At the time it was announced APM said supply would resume later - but at a much increased price. Currently LZOS are producing plenty of apo's, delivery times are 2-4 weeks for the smaller ones.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:22 PM
casstony

An FSQ106 from the classifieds or a new Esprit 100 seem like better choices - no need to deal with potential overseas hassles.

The classifieds are offering quite a window shopping experience at the moment; It's a good thing I have budgetary constraints or a few of those lovely scopes would be gone
Old 08-12-2017, 09:56 PM
Decimus (Richard)

Hi George,
I bought an APM - LZOS Telescope Apo Refractor 152/1200 CNC LW II in April 2016. It is utterly brilliant, delivering stunning razor-sharp high-contrast views that surpass those from considerably larger telescopes. The APM I have is a very sturdy well-made telescope. Highly recommended.
Cheers,
Richard
Old 08-12-2017, 11:57 PM
vlazg (George)

Thanks to all the replies but i have dipped my toes in the quicksand to Takahashi, buying Johns FSQ 106. Now to get my head around the myriad of adapters........
Will be posting pleas for help

George
Old 09-12-2017, 01:22 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
Hi George,
I bought an APM - LZOS Telescope Apo Refractor 152/1200 CNC LW II in April 2016. It is utterly brilliant, delivering stunning razor-sharp high-contrast views that surpass those from considerably larger telescopes. The APM I have is a very sturdy well-made telescope. Highly recommended.
Cheers,
Richard
This is a dream scope Richard ...Wow!
bigjoe.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:26 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

THIS IS MY DREAM .
LZOS 30cm Super Apochromat Bino
http://www.professional-telescopes.n...0cm-Super-Bino
.HA!!
bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 09-12-2017 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Adding