Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-05-2014, 11:13 AM
209herschel (Herschel)

Skywatcher Solid Tube 10" - Copper/Brass accessories

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so I apologise if it's obvious or in the wrong place. I'm looking to buy my first telescope and I'm interested in a Skywatcher 10" solid tube dobsonian that is for sale. It looks like a good deal but the pictures I've been sent show a copper/brass coloured part to the Finderscope and a brass/copper ring on the focuser. I'm not sure what these are as all the pictures of this telescope I've seen online don't have these colours on it. I'm just concerned it's not exactly the item being advertised.

I've attached two images that show what I'm talking about. I had settled on buying an 8" dob from Andrews for $449 but this is a 10" Skywatcher for $500 so it seems a good deal. Any advice on this choice would also be appreciated!

I'd be grateful for any information as I can't find any mention of these coloured parts on this scope for sale.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_6903.jpg)
71.1 KB65 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_6906.jpg)
82.8 KB64 views
Old 30-05-2014, 12:18 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Hard to say. If this is a used scope the owner may have replaced or upgraded certain parts of it. They certainly don't look standard.

I would ask about it if you're concerned.
Old 30-05-2014, 12:22 PM
vaztr (Andrew)

Herschel,

The 'brass' bits are 'normal' for some of the SkyWatcher series. I know my old 8" had the 'brass' finderscope 'tho the 1.25" EP extension was the same 'brown' as other parts of the focuser.

Looks like a neat scope

VAZ
Old 30-05-2014, 12:24 PM
209herschel (Herschel)

Thanks getting back to me. I asked but they said nothing has been changed and all parts are the original ones. But I haven't been able to find another image on a Skywatcher with these attachments.

Would you know what they are? I'm not even sure what the copper part is on top of the finderscope. Are the ring and tube on the focuser.

I guess I'm afraid of buying something with bad replacement parts when I could get something with a guarantee from Andrews. But I'd have to go the 8" because of price.

Thanks again.
Old 30-05-2014, 12:28 PM
209herschel (Herschel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaztr View Post
Herschel,

The 'brass' bits are 'normal' for some of the SkyWatcher series. I know my old 8" had the 'brass' finderscope 'tho the 1.25" EP extension was the same 'brown' as other parts of the focuser.

Looks like a neat scope

VAZ

Wow, thanks for that. I just wanted to know it was something that the Skywatcher once came with and that's great news. So that's what the copper parts are: top of the finderscope and an ep extension? What would an eyepiece extension be used for. It comes with a 1.25-2" adapter but is an eyepiece extension something different. Thanks again for the information!
Old 30-05-2014, 12:37 PM
vaztr (Andrew)

The SkyWatcher series of Dob's (at least the one you have pictures of) have a peculiar focusser (and I hope I get this description right)...

Most focussers come with a 2" 'hole' into which is inserted a 2" to 1.25" adaptor. This allows you to put in either 2" or 1.25" eyepieces (you just take the adaptor out for the 2" EPs). However the SkyWatcher uses a 'just a bit bigger than 2"' or 'just a bit smaller than 2"' hole in the focussor (I forget which). This means an adaptor is required. What you see in your photo is the 1.25" brass extension fitted to a 2ish" plate sitting in the focusser. To change to a 2" EP the plate is removed and a 2" adaptor fitted, then your 2" EP into that - wow that was a mouthful.

It's a little bit fiddley, but if you mainly have 1.25" EPs it's no problem. However if you do end up buying the scope make sure it has the 2" adaptor or you'll have to purchase one.

Hope this makes sense

VAZ
Old 30-05-2014, 12:50 PM
209herschel (Herschel)

Quote:
The SkyWatcher series of Dob's (at least the one you have pictures of) have a peculiar focusser (and I hope I get this description right)...

Most focussers come with a 2" 'hole' into which is inserted a 2" to 1.25" adaptor. This allows you to put in either 2" or 1.25" eyepieces (you just take the adaptor out for the 2" EPs). However the SkyWatcher uses a 'just a bit bigger than 2"' or 'just a bit smaller than 2"' hole in the focussor (I forget which). This means an adaptor is required. What you see in your photo is the 1.25" brass extension fitted to a 2ish" plate sitting in the focusser. To change to a 2" EP the plate is removed and a 2" adaptor fitted, then your 2" EP into that - wow that was a mouthful.

It's a little bit fiddley, but if you mainly have 1.25" EPs it's no problem. However if you do end up buying the scope make sure it has the 2" adaptor or you'll have to purchase one.

Hope this makes sense

VAZ

Thanks again for all of this information. I was hoping I'd find someone who knew a lot! This actually comes with a 1.25"-2" adapter, 10mm and 25mm Plossl eyepieces. So if I buy a 2" eyepiece, would it be a problem? If I remove the copper adapter, is the focuser opening too large or too small for the 2" eyepiece? I've attached 2 pics, one of an eyepiece in the 1.25" extension and one of the 2" adapter. Does this basically cover everything that's needed in terms of use with all eps.

I'd really like to buy this but I wouldn't want to be left with a scope that had issues. It seems the GSO from Andrews come ready to use.

Thanks again for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_6907.jpg)
197.2 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_6908.jpg)
175.0 KB25 views
Old 30-05-2014, 12:57 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Posted on your other thread, it's gold anodised aluminium, no problem.
Old 30-05-2014, 01:11 PM
209herschel (Herschel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Posted on your other thread, it's gold anodised aluminium, no problem.

Thanks very much for the reply. It comes with 10mm and 25mm plossl eyepieces, and a 1.25"-2" adapter. The scope doesn't have a cooling fan and I was wondering if that's an issue. It's pyrex so it's supposed to not be affected by temperature change as much. Also, is this a Crayford focuser or rack and pinion. Everyone says that everyone upgrades to Crayford eventually so I'm just checking on how much I'll be up for after purchasing.

Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:07 AM
vaztr (Andrew)

Herschel,

You have all the bits required for 1.25" and 2" EP's

The 8" I had didn't have a fan either and that didn't seem to cause any issues (smaller mirror/less mass?)

The focusser is the standard SkyWatcher one - It's OK and I don't think you'll NEED a crayford straight away - I'm still using the Standard focusser on my GSO 12" Dob, one day I might upgrade to a 10:1 but I soooooo many other bits to buy first

VAZ
Old 05-06-2014, 10:26 AM
209herschel (Herschel)

Quote:
Herschel,

You have all the bits required for 1.25" and 2" EP's

The 8" I had didn't have a fan either and that didn't seem to cause any issues (smaller mirror/less mass?)

The focusser is the standard SkyWatcher one - It's OK and I don't think you'll NEED a crayford straight away - I'm still using the Standard focusser on my GSO 12" Dob, one day I might upgrade to a 10:1 but I soooooo many other bits to buy first

VAZ

Thanks again for all of your help. I ended up not getting the scope. Someone else put in an offer that was higher than originally asked so it ended up something like an ebay auction and I couldn't afford it. I've now settled on getting either the 8" or 10" GSO dob from Andrews this time next week. I'm going to post a question in the relevant section now about advice re the 8" or the 10". If you have time, I'd be grateful for any advice. It's about eyepieces and use with short or longer focal ratios (the 10" is f5 while the 8" is f6). I can't afford $300 eyepieces so I wonder if the 8" is the safer buy? Plus is $200 cheaper! Hard decision to make before the weekend! Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:49 AM
vaztr (Andrew)

Sorry to hear you missed out on the 8"

OMG! Where to start

First and foremost - if $$ is the limiting factor go the 8"
Having said that - try the classifieds on here - even a post in the 'wanted' section might bring you a result you weren't expecting (lots of us have waaay too many scopes that we don't know what to do with). I've seen 12" dobs go for around $500

Then - what do you want to 'find' in the sky - Planets, the Messier objects, Lots of other funky deep sky stuff

These are all do-able in an 8" and may take you some years to get through - maybe long enough that you eventually decide you are addicted and NEED a 20" dob!!!

A 10" will give no 'real' difference other than letting you collect a bit more light and making objects a bit brighter. The Focal difference isn't a real issue

My 'choice' would be the 8" and then use the spare cash for other stuff
The other stuff could be...

EP's, your scope should come with at least 2 EP's - these are a great start, add a 2x barlow and suddenly you have 4 EPs - don't race out and buy a TV Nagler yet, contact someone near you (here on the forum) and ask to look down their EPs - this is a great cheap way to decide what EPs are 'worth' to you

Clothes - no, really, get some warm stuff - you'll thank me for this when your toes aren't frozen

A chair - doesn't have to be an 'observers' chair but being comfy at the scope makes the time fly by

Dinner for your significant other - they have no-idea how much tuime you are going to spend outside

That's about it for me, and remember when you do eventually decide that you need the bigger scope (and you will) you can sell the old one here to another person beginning their journey.

Hope this helps

VAZ
Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

EP's ? Get the 15 and\or 20mm GSO SuperViews. They are relatively cheap but give excellent results. I use them 90% of the time I reckon.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:37 PM
garymck (Gary)

The brass color was only black anodization that had faded. I've seen this on a few different brands of scopes, including one I owned. Usually takes a few years to develop, but I have seen it happen in as little as 6 months.

cheers
gary
Old 05-06-2014, 03:29 PM
209herschel (Herschel)

Quote:
Sorry to hear you missed out on the 8"

OMG! Where to start

First and foremost - if $$ is the limiting factor go the 8"
Having said that - try the classifieds on here - even a post in the 'wanted' section might bring you a result you weren't expecting (lots of us have waaay too many scopes that we don't know what to do with). I've seen 12" dobs go for around $500

Then - what do you want to 'find' in the sky - Planets, the Messier objects, Lots of other funky deep sky stuff

These are all do-able in an 8" and may take you some years to get through - maybe long enough that you eventually decide you are addicted and NEED a 20" dob!!!

A 10" will give no 'real' difference other than letting you collect a bit more light and making objects a bit brighter. The Focal difference isn't a real issue

My 'choice' would be the 8" and then use the spare cash for other stuff
The other stuff could be...

EP's, your scope should come with at least 2 EP's - these are a great start, add a 2x barlow and suddenly you have 4 EPs - don't race out and buy a TV Nagler yet, contact someone near you (here on the forum) and ask to look down their EPs - this is a great cheap way to decide what EPs are 'worth' to you

Clothes - no, really, get some warm stuff - you'll thank me for this when your toes aren't frozen

A chair - doesn't have to be an 'observers' chair but being comfy at the scope makes the time fly by

Dinner for your significant other - they have no-idea how much tuime you are going to spend outside

That's about it for me, and remember when you do eventually decide that you need the bigger scope (and you will) you can sell the old one here to another person beginning their journey.

Hope this helps

VAZ
I think that's a great idea to post a wanted ad. Never thought of that. I'm looking to get either the 8" or 10" from Andrews ($479 for the 8" and $649 for the 10"). They have a bonus currently: 9mm, 15mm, 24mm plossl plus the 30mm 2" super. Seems pretty generous. I'm aiming to get this on Monday week if a 2nd hand scope doesn't show so I'll have to decide on the size.

I am keen to get a higher power eyepiece (perhaps 5-7mm) of high quality. Just want the moon and planet views to dazzle my son at the beginning! I'm looking at ES or the Hyperion 5mm that I've seen second hand. One quick question is as to smudges and eyelash oil, etc on eyepieces - can eyepiece lenses be cleaned easily or is it vital that they be pristine?

Thanks again for all of you help.

Cheers.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:31 PM
WynneP (Peter)

I have similar "brassy" looking parts on my Skywatcher refractor. For some reason, some (not all) of the originally-black plastic bits tarnish to a brassy appearance. This is not a problem, just some inherent property of the plastic used.

Also, regarding a cooling fan, the cooling fan from an old desktop PC could be readily adapted for this use. They operate at 12V DCand run readily quietly and are virtually vibration free. Could easily find one put out for a council cleanup and buy a 240V AC to 12V DC adaptor at Dick Smith for a few$'s.

Go for the 10" - aperture wins every time.