Old 01-11-2010, 05:29 PM
niko

Webcam focus problem - help please

Hi there,

just testing my new webcam with a Celestron 130SLT with plans to take moon avis.

Given the cloudy Melbourne skies (which WILL clear before the weekend!) I tested using the city skyline.

I can achieve focus on the trees across the road but not the city buildings in the 'far' distance. I'm all the way to the lower limit.

So, my question is - will an extension tube or barlow assist or do I have to move the primary mirror up the tube???

Thanks in advance guys.

niko
Old 01-11-2010, 05:32 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
Hi there,

just testing my new webcam with a Celestron 130SLT with plans to take moon avis.

Given the cloudy Melbourne skies (which WILL clear before the weekend!) I tested using the city skyline.

I can achieve focus on the trees across the road but not the city buildings in the 'far' distance. I'm all the way to the lower limit.

So, my question is - will an extension tube or barlow assist or do I have to move the primary mirror up the tube???

Thanks in advance guys.

niko
I have a 130SLT but I never had an in-focus problem. Are you using the stock focuser (plastic one). I use a 10:1 GSO. I think the original was a bit longer but not by much. Yes a barlow (x2) will get you out of trouble.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:34 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Depending on your scope you can try to move you primary mirror forward more as I have done with mine, It gave me a bit more focus without a barlow. This is great for wider angle moon shots, otherwise a barlow is great for fixing this.

I am concerned with barlows at the moment as I am getting some discolouring which might be barlow lense issue so I am looking a getting a powermate instead. These are supposed to be specific for CCD imaging but not sure.

Until I get confirmation on this I dont want to assume that is the case.