Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 24-05-2016, 11:20 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Strange behaviour of Atik One camera on a powered hub

Just checking if anyone else using one of these cameras has had similar issues.
It appears that the Atik One Camera doesn't like connecting via a hub. I have tried a couple of different powered hubs and connection of the camera is at best intermittant. If it does connect it works fine, just getting it to connect is problematic.
If I run the USB cable direct to my laptop it has no issues. But I do not want to do that as i want to minimise cables running to my setup.

Any thoughts?

My thought was that as the camera has a built in hub itself, that may cause some issue if I then try to run it from another hub?

Malcolm
Old 25-05-2016, 06:16 PM
gregbradley

Malcolm,

I would not be quick to lay blame on the camera as most cameras I have used from many brands tend not to like hubs.

Currently I use a Belkin powered 4 USB port and a powered USB extension cable I got from Jaycar. The Belkin I got from Ebay.

It works nicely on an SBIG ST8300 whereas using a non powered USB hub and a non powered extension lead failed.

I did a thread on what USB hubs are good recently. You may look at the answers on that.

I googled USB hubs reviews and got some computer mag site that reviewed various brands and rated them. Belkin was near the top.

Greg.