Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-03-2020, 12:01 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

I was supposed to be volunteering at the OzSky Safari from Saturday onwards but a head-cold(?) meant I had to become a Self Isolated Senior......

Though the cold has now cleared, I am going to obey the 14 day isolation, that gets boring so I decided to check my cellar for wines approaching their "drink by" dates......

I found a bottle of "Baby Grange" that needed to be consumed so today is the day.......

Lunch is freshly baked sourdough with french cheeses and my favourite Penfolds, the ever so subtle BIN 389
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MIS_7895.jpg)
171.6 KB54 views
Old 17-03-2020, 12:05 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

A great way to self isolate!!!
Enjoy!
Old 17-03-2020, 01:58 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

I think now is the time that the community, both at the local & global level needs to put petty & selfish attitudes aside & start asking itself what can we do for those more at risk than ourselves?

Whilst all of us need to think about our own health & safety, clearly there are those in our community who are considerably more at risk than others.

Now is the time for serious self reflection, to consider to the best of our ability what the actual risk is for each of us as an individual & what can we do, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant, to assist others in our immediate & broader community.

Things that spring to mind are:

- limiting physical contact with those in our community that are more at risk.
- assisting those in our community who have made the decision to self isolate (for what ever reason) by reaching out to see that they are okay & whether they need assistance obtaining groceries, or other life necessities.
- doing all that we can to help others whilst paying very close attention to point 1.

I'm sure that I could ramble on for hours about how we might assist our fellow human beings get through this... but, I won't...

All I ask is give some thought to others in all that you do, the implications of not coming together (not physically) in this unfolding & uncertain event could be dire for everyone...

As an experienced, long serving former member of the ADF & I believe, not someone prone to panic or unnecessary fear & fear mongering...

I could not be more serious about this!!

Please stop & think about your actions & how, to the best of our ability, we help everyone get through this.
Old 17-03-2020, 02:08 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

looks like a great lunch Matt might do the same,calton well said sumes it up really
Old 17-03-2020, 06:45 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
I think now is the time that the community, both at the local & global level needs to put petty & selfish attitudes aside & start asking itself what can we do for those more at risk than ourselves?

Whilst all of us need to think about our own health & safety, clearly there are those in our community who are considerably more at risk than others.

Now is the time for serious self reflection, to consider to the best of our ability what the actual risk is for each of us as an individual & what can we do, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant, to assist others in our immediate & broader community.

Things that spring to mind are:

- limiting physical contact with those in our community that are more at risk.
- assisting those in our community who have made the decision to self isolate (for what ever reason) by reaching out to see that they are okay & whether they need assistance obtaining groceries, or other life necessities.
- doing all that we can to help others whilst paying very close attention to point 1.

I'm sure that I could ramble on for hours about how we might assist our fellow human beings get through this... but, I won't...

All I ask is give some thought to others in all that you do, the implications of not coming together (not physically) in this unfolding & uncertain event could be dire for everyone...

As an experienced, long serving former member of the ADF & I believe, not someone prone to panic or unnecessary fear & fear mongering...

I could not be more serious about this!!

Please stop & think about your actions & how, to the best of our ability, we help everyone get through this.

Only trouble with this is the "youjack theory" as in bugger you jack I am alright. Especially a lot of the younger ones.

My other half came home from work today because another worker in her 30's has been at work for 2 days absolutely rotten with flu like symptoms, and she refused to stay away from work, but could not give a crap about infecting others. The worst thing about it was that the sick persons sister in law arrived back from the USA on 1 March, and she reckons she would be all clear as it is outside the 14day period. WTF. This is a state Govt job and all staff have been told not to come to work if they have even a mild cold, but this stubborn piece of work refuses. What makes it worse is my other half's boss has a cold as well and still comes to work, and refuses to do anything about it, what a great example she is setting. So my other said bugger that I am going home, they can all get knotted...
It is no wonder the world is going down the sink...
Old 17-03-2020, 06:58 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Only trouble with this is the "youjack theory" as in bugger you jack I am alright. Especially a lot of the younger ones.
That is indeed true Peter, & quite frankly what motivated me to write the post.

I don't agree that it is especially a lot of the younger ones, I think when we look around with truly open eyes, it has become the predominant attitude in our entire community with some exceptions...

There will need to be a considerable shift in thinking across all spheres of our community & dare I say, our global economic model if we are to cope with this in the long term... perhaps, I'm just guilty of wishful thinking....
Old 17-03-2020, 07:31 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:

My other half came home from work today because another worker in her 30's has been at work for 2 days absolutely rotten with flu like symptoms, and she refused to stay away from work, but could not give a crap about infecting others. The worst thing about it was that the sick persons sister in law arrived back from the USA on 1 March, and she reckons she would be all clear as it is outside the 14day period. WTF. This is a state Govt job and all staff have been told not to come to work if they have even a mild cold, but this stubborn piece of work refuses. What makes it worse is my other half's boss has a cold as well and still comes to work, and refuses to do anything about it, what a great example she is setting. So my other said bugger that I am going home, they can all get knotted...
It is no wonder the world is going down the sink...
That’s just plain awful and unimaginably selfish of those peeps Peter! But since this is fed government guidelines, can they not be forcibly removed from the premises surely, and given a hefty fine for being such a**eholes?
Old 17-03-2020, 07:52 PM
brisen (Brian)

Unfortunately unless they have been diagnosed as positive to CORVID-19 or are caught up in the mandatory isolation they cannot be forced to comply under the federal guidelines that are operational at this time.

I am lucky in that I work remotely and most of us have a clinical or biomedical background in the group I work with and I noticed today at an online meeting most have taken the option to work remotely even though we are all well at this time. The nature of work is such that we are well set up for this whereas a lot of places this isn’t an option. Management are certainly encouraging staff and students to not come in if they are even slightly unwell.

I guess like most things the behaviour comes down from the top and if the leaders are not showing leadership the followers don’t follow an appropriate approach and go home and stay there.

Brian
Old 17-03-2020, 08:54 PM
Exfso (Peter)

The SA state govt has apparently issued a statement roughly saying that any employee that is displaying these type of symptoms is NOT to attend work and her immediate supervisor in fact the boss of the whole section is openly disobeying the directives herself, what a selfish brain dead individual. I have stirred the pot by sending an email to the Premier's Office making him hopefully aware that the directives are not being adhered to in this particular branch of Govt. This was done anonymously as she is sh1t scared of losing her job if she is deemed being the whistle blower.
I even rang the Police today to get some guidance and their thoughts, and they said they would be very happy to go and interview these sick individuals, but needed names of course. She who must be obeyed asked me to hold for a while whilst so called high level meetings were happening, and absolutely nothing came out of any of them. So tomorrow is another day...
Old 18-03-2020, 04:38 AM
JA

Hi Peter,
It.could be raised anonymously as a Health and Safety matter with the OHS representative/manager or the sick person's manager.

Best
JA
Old 18-03-2020, 12:03 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Peter,
It.could be raised anonymously as a Health and Safety matter with the OHS representative/manager or the sick person's manager.

Best
JA

Already been done, all they would say is for my partner to stay home if she has concerns, talk about a load of crud, got their head in the ground the lot of them...
Old 18-03-2020, 06:09 PM
JA

Quote:
Already been done, all they would say is for my partner to stay home if she has concerns, talk about a load of crud, got their head in the ground the lot of them...
Ok then there's always Worksafe (or EDIT: as I know now the SA equivalent: SafeWork)... Who knows?

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 18-03-2020 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added Safework
Old 18-03-2020, 06:12 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Ok then there's always Worksafe... Who knows?

Best
JA
I reckon worksafe would get things moving!
Old 21-03-2020, 04:01 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Now we're committed to SIS.....
What's the answer to continually putting off those jobs around the house!
Procrastination only gets you so far....
There seems to be a never ending list of jobs still "outstanding" - nowhere to hide!
Old 21-03-2020, 07:57 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Its getting cooler in the nights Ken 11.00 am start .

H&S in my experiance over recent years Peter is often a toothless tiger

really sounds like a major HR issue that needed leadership that wasn't there .
Old 21-03-2020, 10:19 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Now we're committed to SIS.....
What's the answer to continually putting off those jobs around the house!
Procrastination only gets you so far....
There seems to be a never ending list of jobs still "outstanding" - nowhere to hide!
Gotta conserve your energy & strength in case you get sick?

Worth a try Ken...
Old 23-03-2020, 08:12 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Though my head cold has cleared I am still continuing as a Self-Isolating Senior........ yesterday spent walking to Mt Stilwell, the Main Range and Mt Kosciuszko..... magnificent solitude.....

Last edited by Rainmaker; 23-03-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 23-03-2020, 08:33 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I think we should all be cautious and limit interactions with others to a minimum.
Remember >80% of all the corona virus deaths are seniors >60 year old.
Old 28-03-2020, 05:29 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
I think we should all be cautious and limit interactions with others to a minimum.
Remember >80% of all the corona virus deaths are seniors >60 year old.
Damn, I thought seniors were > 65 years old...
Old 28-03-2020, 11:54 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Matt

Thought you / we are supposed to stay home as much as possible , to avoid contact
That is a great walk though, have done it a few times in summer and once in winter before the snow set in. In fact on that walk I sat on top of Kosciusko at sunset and watched the full moon rising in a clear sky, before walking back down the old road back to Charlottes Pass before driving back to Smiggins where I was working at the time.
Now I can't even go to the golf course to have a round by myself even though I promise not to breath on anyone. It is scary times for all of us, most of my siblings are retired, like me but my kids are all unemployed now and worried about the hopefully, short term future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
Though my head cold has cleared I am still continuing as a Self-Isolating Senior........ yesterday spent walking to Mt Stilwell, the Main Range and Mt Kosciuszko..... magnificent solitude.....