ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2018, 12:46 PM
PeterM

Why We Trust in Science

Just saw this on FB, love it and had to share. Well there ya go dun and dusted in less than a minute, no iffs no butts no maybes! Brilliant.

https://www.facebook.com/ScienceDoes...4499744028087/

Last edited by PeterM; 06-02-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:06 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Love it...build a Moon rocket with plans from the scriptures I say.

The arguement in the link is no arguement for the cry I encounter at another site...but science cant explain everything therefore there is a God.

Last edited by xelasnave; 06-02-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:15 PM
Paul Haese

Science it works, *****es.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:46 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Yes, it's a great argument
Old 06-02-2018, 02:32 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Science it works, *****es.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3v2m4_NHhA
Old 06-02-2018, 08:22 PM
doppler (Rick)

Science works, it is a tool that allows us to make use of what is here but has no way of explaining why here is here.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:09 PM
Wilso

I think here is here because we are in the right place at the right time for life to evolve. The Goldilocks zone , if we don't evolve and adapt to the environment we'll go the way of the dinosaurs. Unless we trust and use science to our advantage in time life as we know it will cease to exist. Where here because we are here!

Last edited by Wilso; 06-02-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:06 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

There was a guy Timothy Leary if thats how it is spelt who futurised a concept of hollowing out azteriods set the up like Earth but in layers so a Fifty layer one may give you the surface area of the Earth in 100 klm diameter.
I cant remember where wanted to take them ...and although we say its crazy now will there be a time where maybe do that cause Earth, the Moon and Mars is over run with humans the only surviving life form other than whatever plants to produce what we need..
Alex
Old 12-02-2018, 08:54 PM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
I think here is here because we are in the right place at the right time for life to evolve. The Goldilocks zone , if we don't evolve and adapt to the environment we'll go the way of the dinosaurs. Unless we trust and use science to our advantage in time life as we know it will cease to exist. Where here because we are here!
I think that it's not just the "Goldilocks zone" but the"Goldilocks universe"

It turns out that, for life to be possible, the numbers in basic physics – for example, the strength of gravity, or the mass of the electron – must have values falling in a certain range. And that range is an incredibly narrow slice of all the possible values those numbers can have. It is therefore incredibly unlikely that a universe like ours would have the kind of numbers compatible with the existence of life. But, against all the odds, our Universe does.

By using the equations of physics, such as Newton’s law of gravity, we can predict what’s going to happen with great precision. It is this predictive capacity that has enabled us to manipulate the natural world in extraordinary ways, leading to the technological revolution that has transformed our planet. We are now living through a period of history in which people are so blown away by the success of physical science, so moved by the wonders of technology, that they feel strongly inclined to think that the mathematical models of physics capture the whole of reality. But this is simply not the job of physics. Physics is in the business of predicting the behaviour of matter, not revealing its intrinsic nature.
Old 13-02-2018, 08:40 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
I think that it's not just the "Goldilocks zone" but the"Goldilocks universe"

It turns out that, for life to be possible, the numbers in basic physics – for example, the strength of gravity, or the mass of the electron – must have values falling in a certain range. And that range is an incredibly narrow slice of all the possible values those numbers can have. It is therefore incredibly unlikely that a universe like ours would have the kind of numbers compatible with the existence of life. But, against all the odds, our Universe does.
I think that it's not just the "Goldilocks universe" but the"Goldilocks multi-universe"

I think if we constrain our ideas of life to our understanding of our set of physicial laws then we curtail any possibility of life elsewhere even though it may exist.

Life may exist in every universe, based on physics that is unlike our own...

OIC!
Would hate for interdimensional travelers to laugh at us for thinking that "our" maths are the only maths...
Old 14-02-2018, 10:00 AM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICURMT View Post
I think that it's not just the "Goldilocks universe" but the"Goldilocks multi-universe"

I think if we constrain our ideas of life to our understanding of our set of physicial laws then we curtail any possibility of life elsewhere even though it may exist.

Life may exist in every universe, based on physics that is unlike our own...

OIC!
Would hate for interdimensional travelers to laugh at us for thinking that "our" maths are the only maths...
Science seems to downplay the virtually impossible and incredible uniqueness that we call life.

Life isn't based on physics. Life is an unknown energy force that manipulates simple atoms, to group theses atoms (and molecules) into forms that we call life. And then there is consciousness, atoms aren't conscious so somewhere in between them is there that as well.
This is an interesting read about consciousness. http://www.collective-evolution.com/...e-after-death/

Last edited by doppler; 14-02-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 14-02-2018, 10:21 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
There was a guy Timothy Leary if thats how it is spelt who futurised a concept of hollowing out azteriods set the up like Earth but in layers so a Fifty layer one may give you the surface area of the Earth in 100 klm diameter.
I cant remember where wanted to take them ...and although we say its crazy now will there be a time where maybe do that cause Earth, the Moon and Mars is over run with humans the only surviving life form other than whatever plants to produce what we need..
Alex
Is the asteroid hollowing Timothy Leary the same one who made fame as the father of LSD and other hallucinogenic breakfast snacks?

I know which one the Moody Blues were singing about:

Timothy Leary's dead
No, no, he's outside looking in
He'll fly his astral plane
Takes you trips around the bay
Brings you back the same day
Timothy Leary, Timothy Leary

and if so, is there a connection?

Peter
Old 14-02-2018, 10:32 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Peter
Its the same guy, I did not want to mention his private public life as folk may dismiss his idea before considering it.
Alex
Old 15-02-2018, 03:23 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Just saw this on FB, love it and had to share. Well there ya go dun and dusted in less than a minute, no iffs no butts no maybes! Brilliant.

https://www.facebook.com/ScienceDoes...4499744028087/
That is excellent.
Old 15-02-2018, 03:40 PM
deanm (Dean)

Rick:
"Life isn't based on physics."
It certainly is, otherwise it wouldn't work!
Dean
Old 15-02-2018, 04:50 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

There is obviously a problem for some who think science threatens their religious views...and so they protest science cant explain everything or there is more to things than just science.

Firstly for those folk it would probably best that instead of using the word science they substitute the following..."well established and reliable knowledge provided by the best brains in humanity after many years of research, observation, testing and proofs"...and to substitue such a phrase or terminology for "science" as this may remind them that their casual dismisal of science overlooks that it is a massive body of reliable hard acquired knowledge.
And secondly they should realise that belief is a mere opinion with little in the way of proof or reliable observation at least the type that we find in science and to say belief orverides science is to transport oneself back to the dark ages.
Speculation past what is proven does not mean science is lacking ...what is lacking is understanding that it is science that delivers everything and leaves little ambiguity on any matter it covers...
Alex
Old 15-02-2018, 06:06 PM
doppler (Rick)

So our conscious self's are actually just highly advanced forms of artificial intelligence, just a lot of electrical signals nothing special at all. It's all just chemistry and physics and a lot of atoms. I'm not religious just confused how simple atoms can arrange themselves into self replicating self conscious lifeforms. Everything seems "real" to me but I'm actually just a chemical reaction that will finish in the next 30 years.
Old 15-02-2018, 06:51 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
So our conscious self's are actually just highly advanced forms of artificial intelligence, just a lot of electrical signals nothing special at all. It's all just chemistry and physics and a lot of atoms. I'm not religious just confused how simple atoms can arrange themselves into self replicating self conscious lifeforms. Everything seems "real" to me but I'm actually just a chemical reaction that will finish in the next 30 years.
Do U find it upsetting that U may be nothing special?

I am sure that U are to your family, friends and work colleges.
Old 15-02-2018, 08:19 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Hi Rick,

Well there are many things we dont know at a personal level.

There are many things science has not worked out..dark matter and dark energy are addmissions by science they dont have a specific answer...dark usually is an indicator that we are still in the dark and "dark" used as a placeholder whilst more research continues.

The problem for so many humans is when they dont know the answer they explain their mystery by referencing an entity that they know even less about and then cite a plan of that entity. They also have no idea as to that plans validity or reality and yet then will regard science as lacking because it has not worked everything yet...With science the quest for knowledge continues way past superstitious writings supposedly inspired by a mystical entity.

Science research gets published and others can review such and find fault which of course is not a principle we find in any religion. Change is not welcomed by any religion and that clearly inhibits growth in knowledge and understanding of our world.

And yet then there are those who we can only call anti science who proclaim that their mystery is the answer to everything and become convinced that their opinion is correct and has no requirement of evidence or validation when their opinion is labled faith.. these folk take us backwards to times when folk opperated under superstition and myth...science takes us forward and does not make stuff up or speculate and that keeps us pretty close to reality...thankfully.

I wonder about many things and have ideas as to how this or that may work and certainly life is so interesting.

But I never feel compelled to say...How mysterious therefore everything must be designed by some super inteligence...why even thing such...why not tell the truth..."I dont know"...ask folk and they will make up all sorts of stuff but not often do we have someone admit the truth...I dont know.

I find it facinating folk must have an answer even if its a made up one.

anti science = stupid and superstitious.

alex
Old 15-02-2018, 08:32 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Life is great so there must be more to it is not even an arguement...it is a hopeless wish.
The key would be... to be so happy that you live...that you exist at all even... if for such a very very short time and although the Universe is such a big place that you had the priveldge to be here for a mere blink in time.

Live for this life rather than indulge a fancy of something more and you wont be disappointed.
alex