Old 17-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Play equipment?

These frames are quite often for sale around the $50 mark, and as you can see they are quite strong. Possibly some 3mm ply penta's screwed to the frame, topped by fibreglass then painted? And how many round trampoline frames do we see discarded. (Nice pre-rolled pipe, ideal for lower frame duty?) Thinking, thinking, thinking...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Climber.jpg)
141.7 KB78 views
Old 17-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Wavytone

Have seen some too, but they are very heavy - the ones I’ve seen were galvanised steel pipe and not thin stuff either. Might be ok if you want to use one as a geodesic dome (add ply panels) but in making an opening for a scope the geodesic structure loses most of its rigidity and flops.

You’re beginning to remind me of another bowerbird who can’t pass an empty beercan without dragging it home to be re-purposed (on a rainy day). The snag is he never has the time.
Old 18-11-2017, 03:15 PM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozlefoot View Post
These frames are quite often for sale around the $50 mark, and as you can see they are quite strong. Possibly some 3mm ply penta's screwed to the frame, topped by fibreglass then painted? And how many round trampoline frames do we see discarded. (Nice pre-rolled pipe, ideal for lower frame duty?) Thinking, thinking, thinking...........
that's what i call thinking outside of the box there fella!
pat
Old 19-11-2017, 02:07 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I've considered this idea as well. I've seen some smaller geodesic play structures in plastic tubing. For younger kids obviously but wondered if it would be feasible to use one as the frame for a lightweight dome.
I reckon its workable with some DIY skills. I'd love to get even another 300-400 mm height in my Ob Shed to give me some clearance and allow a better balance position for the scope and better wind and dew protection.
It would also look real cool