Old 10-08-2008, 12:56 PM
NickontheCoast

Sleep...who sleeps...

Hi Eric and again thanks for tips ...

Managed to see the bands on Jupiter and have just attempted my first collimation...got a laser one and the dot appears to be in the right place for each mirror..

Back out there tonite...after I look at those links...

Tks
Old 10-08-2008, 01:38 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Is the dot in the right place on its return to the collimator - ie right back up the hole it came out of?
Old 10-08-2008, 01:52 PM
NickontheCoast

yup...gottem both

.. Yup .. many thanks to my wife....

The SkyWatcher has two sets of screws on the mirror, philips to adjust and hex to lock .... tricky as they both affect things...so once I got it into place I stopped...waiting for tonite. Those links are great .. and it does appear I got to see three moons...was outside from about 7.30pm to 11.30 ... short look tonight start of the working week etc..

tks
Old 10-08-2008, 06:56 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Nick, I only do up the "lock" screws on the primary for transport. Experiment with leaving them loose during your session, after you have collimated. Many people report that nipping them up tight pushes the scope back out of collimation. The only problem leaving them loose seems to be if the springs supporting the mirror are too weak - then the mirror can shift a little as you move the altitude from horizon to zenith. It seems that replacing the springs with stronger springs is a fairly easy task.

My 8" GSO has the original springs and I don't have a problem leaving the lock screws loose.
Old 17-08-2008, 06:47 PM
rastis95 (Scott)
Cant wait for clear skies

Eric,
With the locking screws undone does it take much to knock the mirrors out of alignment.
Old 18-08-2008, 06:35 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

I don't notice a problem for a whole observing session. But I have to say that checking the collimation before I firm up the locking screws and pull the scope apart for transport is not something I have done.
Old 22-08-2008, 12:11 PM
BalderAsir (Nick)

well, this seemed like a good place to start my first post.

I've been interested in space and astronomy for as long as i can remember, but i've never actually used or owned a telescope. So in the process of researching my first scope I found this site. After reading some of the links i can't wait to go out with just my binoculars and have a squizz Most of my astronomy and star gazing has been with Photoshop and a creative mind so far, but i'm keen to gaze at the real thing for once

I originally hail from Darwin but have moved to Victoria to complete my pilot studies. 20 years old and thats about it

I really look forward to getting involved in amateur astonomy and harrassing you guys with my newbish questions

Nick
Old 22-08-2008, 12:13 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Psssst! Hey Nick, you wanta buy a used telescope?

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=34798

Eric
Old 22-08-2008, 12:40 PM
BalderAsir (Nick)

Hey eric, i'd love to mate, but been a student, i can't come up with the cash for awhile, and i've some how got to fit that in my car, plus my golf clubs when I drive back home to darwin in november
Old 22-08-2008, 12:43 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Nick, to IceInSpace!

Keep asking questions and enjoy this great hobby.
Old 22-08-2008, 12:53 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Understood Nick (Of course you could sell the clubs to make some money and some room! )

But you should try to get out with someone with a scope. People gather south of Melbourne at the Mornington Peninsular Astrom Society (search "Briars" on this site http://www.mpas.asn.au/BOS1.htm ) or go west to Snake Valley ( http://snake-valley-astro.000webhost.info/welcome.html ). If you are interested, shout out and I'm sure you can team up with someone who can give you a lift or directions - to meet folks and check out scopes. I hope to go to Snake Valley on 5th.

Cheers
Eric
Old 22-08-2008, 03:08 PM
BalderAsir (Nick)

yeah i will have to do that eric, im out in the latrobe valley to boot.

just need to work out how to read a star chart, i printed the ones from the sticky at the top of the forum (Which is the free star atlas, is this different from a star chart?). I'm guessing when eg Chart 1: Declination North of +65deg means 65deg up from the horizon of north, but have no idea of anything else, and a google search isn't helping lol
Old 22-08-2008, 03:14 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

A little bit more information? Which chart are you looking at?

A little easier to start with might be a map from here:-

http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

Choose the Southern hemisphere version, pdf should be fine. See if that makes sense after you read the instructions.

Cheers
Eric
Old 22-08-2008, 03:30 PM
BalderAsir (Nick)

Thanks for that one, i understand that. The charts i was referring to are here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=1878

If i am reading things right, i take a chart, align myself to north, angle up to the relevant declination eg +65, then rotate 15deg right per hour? on the chart?

or am i completely off track?
Old 22-08-2008, 03:43 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalderAsir View Post
Thanks for that one, i understand that. The charts i was referring to are here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=1878

If i am reading things right, i take a chart, align myself to north, angle up to the relevant declination eg +65, then rotate 15deg right per hour? on the chart?

or am i completely off track?
Well it depends on which chart. That's why we'd need to look at the actual chart you are trying to use. Even then, might be hard to explain in words.

If the skymap I directed you to will do for the moment, use that. In theory, you hold it above your head, align north on the map with north, then that is the view of the sky at the nominated time on the map. Actually it is set for Sydney. For us, what you see in the sky is moved a bit towards the North, compared with the map.

After your arms get tired , just hold the map towards the horizon and align the cardinal point on that horizon with the same point on the map. Then looking from the horizon up to the zenith is the same as looking from the edge to the centre of the map.

So much easier to do then to explain. You need to get together with someone.
Old 22-08-2008, 03:56 PM
BalderAsir (Nick)

i'm looking at chart 1 for now.
Old 22-08-2008, 07:52 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Nick, welcome aboard.
If you purchase a copy of Australian Sky and Telescope, they have a pretty good all sky map as the centrefold.
I know it's only basic, but it should be all you need for now with binos.
Once you've found every on that map, then you can start on the more detailed maps.
cheers
Old 22-08-2008, 08:24 PM
BalderAsir (Nick)

funny you say that, i brought one today and have only just gotten to that part.

Just need to figure out the best way to "align" myself when looking, thinking of turning an old red dot scope into a pointer to help....
Old 25-08-2008, 01:29 PM
light matter (Robert)

Tips for software

I've posted once already on a thread where members were listing the software they're using, perhaps I have not understood the thread etiquite, but I seem to be ignored.

I am a beginner and I was interested in getting hold of some observation planning software and some star charting software. I've had a look at the site for "Redshift" and "Deep Sky Planner 4" and wondered if anyone had any experience of these packages, especially their suitability for the Southern Hemisphere?
Old 25-08-2008, 02:15 PM
light matter (Robert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by light matter View Post
I've posted once already on a thread where members were listing the software they're using, perhaps I have not understood the thread etiquite, but I seem to be ignored.

I am a beginner and I was interested in getting hold of some observation planning software and some star charting software. I've had a look at the site for "Redshift" and "Deep Sky Planner 4" and wondered if anyone had any experience of these packages, especially their suitability for the Southern Hemisphere?

I can't spell either (etiquette).