Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Wide FOVs EP for big Achros

Hi all,

My main use of scopes has been for imaging, but loving the (simple) visual use of my 6" achro. Colour fringing aplenty but love it regardless so am looking for a wide FOV EP to really get lost through.

Can someone please provide advice on where/what I should be looking for? Wide meaning >80deg, and I know you get what you pay for, but as it is a simple achro and dont want to drop more on the EP than the scope, preferably looking on the 'cheaper' side of the scale. FL is 750mm and looking around 13mm-ish

Thank you!
Old 28-09-2015, 05:07 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Celestron Axiom LX , awesome 82 degree eyepieces for little money .
Very under rated , which is a real shame because they do perform very well especially in my , now sold 150mm f5 SW refractor .

Here is my 31mm monster on the end of my 127mm f8 iStar achro , this is a brilliant combination , this eyepiece is easily 98% of a mates 31mm telemangler at 1/3 the cost , good eyepieces .

Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (WP_20140618_011.jpg)
188.8 KB57 views
Old 29-09-2015, 12:04 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Not thinking of gong to Snake Valley are you? If you do you can borrow my ES 30mm and see how it goes.
Old 29-09-2015, 06:35 PM
anj026
Plyscope

The Nagler 13mm type 6 works well in my old Jaegers 6" f5. That is about 59x and the maximum magnification I use for that scope. I mostly use an Ethos 21mm and a Nagler 17mm type 4. I used to use a 31mm Nagler but as I rarely get to really dark skies I find the 21mm Ethos works best for me.
Old 29-09-2015, 11:22 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Can say that the ES 30mm 82º is close to perfect in my 4" f5 achro and shows a bit of FC from 90% out. A small/tiny turn of the fine focus wheel on the 10:1 GSO Crayford and the edge is in focus. ES 40mm 68º has a wider TFOV in the same scope and the FC begins at 80% out, again another small turn of the fine focus and is sharp at the edge...I find it a hard choice.

The ES 18mm 82º is perfect to the edge in the f5. The 18mm is one great eyepiece as it also works amazingly well in a 60mm f3.7 SV finder scope giving 5+º TFOV of sky.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Fox

Hi Meru
I would seriously consider the Explore Sci 14mm, 82 deg for $185 at VTI Optics, and he is local in Melbourne. I think they are excellent performers for the price, and they look and feel very well constructed.
Fox!
Old 01-10-2015, 10:08 AM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Hi Meru
I would seriously consider the Explore Sci 14mm, 82 deg for $185 at VTI Optics, and he is local in Melbourne. I think they are excellent performers for the price, and they look and feel very well constructed.
Fox!
Looks like a great eyepiece: but the site says it is not available (like a lot of his eyepieces).

I have the T6 Nagler 13mm. Terrific eyepiece at any f ratio I have tried. Unfortunately the Aussie$ has stuffed up the price, but I have seen them second-hand several times lately on this forum- so worth hanging out for.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:47 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Hi everyone,

Tardy response I know, but thank you so much for the help. The Axiom LX looks a good alternative but for the prices I've seen on the net, seems like the ES 82deg line would suit me best. I've had a T6 13mm before and regretfully sold it, wish I had kept it! And really appreciate the offer Paul, not planning to go any time soon but if I do I will be in touch

I have the Orion Stratus 17mm & 13mm, tempted to sell the 13mm and buy the ES 11mm. Would be good to do a comparison before I sell it though! Shall keep everyone posted

Clear skies
Old 09-10-2015, 12:05 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hey Meru , just a reminder that many of the first Celestron Edge scopes come with the excellent 23mm Axiom so there has to be quite a few around put a wanted ad up ? .

Please don't confuse the wonderful Axiom LX's with the inferior Luminous LX , these were made after a rift between LP optics in Taiwan and Celestron who made the Axiom's for Celestron and another manufacturer in Hong Kong who took over the licence but could not use the Axiom name , cant remember who right now but the larger Axiom's ( 19mm , 23mm and 31mm ) are easily on par with TV's larger Nagler's .

Keep us informed , I only have one ES eyepiece the 6.7mm 82* and its very good , a nice eyepiece to look thru .

Brian.

Last edited by brian nordstrom; 09-10-2015 at 12:16 AM.