Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-05-2020, 05:15 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Seized small hex heads

Recently got an SBIG ST-2000XM with a CFW-9 filterwheel. I went to take the filterwheel face plate off last night to clean the filters and install an H-a in the place of a second Lum the prior owner installed, but 3 of the tiny hex-head screws holding the cover plate on are seized.

I gingerly tried using the long side of the allen key for leverage, but I fear it was going to strip the hex hole before undoing. All the others "snapped" open (distinct click when freeing them), but show no signs of Loctite, so I assume just alu-alu seizure/corrosion.

Seeing this is a filter wheel, with rubber traction wheels, delicate Astonomik filters and other electronic wizardry, I dare not try direct application of heat or even a heated rod directly to the head. I fear the only option will be a small left-hand twist drill. (I have never seen an Ezy-out with a small enough shank either). Once I start, there is no turning back.

Suggestions from the Peanut Gallery?

Also, what size are these screws - I assume imperial sizing - so I can source replacements.
Old 23-05-2020, 05:49 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

what size hex?
Old 23-05-2020, 06:19 PM
glend (Glen)

Can you not email the company support folks to ask about removing the grub screws? Is it under warranty?
Old 23-05-2020, 06:31 PM
trent_julie

If the screws can be replaced, use some diagonal pliers to pinch the hex head and turn, if you are concerned about the surface put some thick tape down.

Trent
Old 23-05-2020, 07:15 PM
gts055 (Mark)

I wonder if the hex head is briefly hit with a spray of circuit board freeze spray to shrink the fastener then quickly attempt to crack it free. Maybe insert the hex key first before freezing. Jaycar have this spray. https://www.jaycar.com.au/freezing-spray-can/p/NA1000 It is used to find dry solder joints or cracked circuit tracks. Mark
Old 23-05-2020, 07:19 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I drilled the recalcitrant ones out. I had 7 spare correct sized blued ones to put back in, so all good. Cleaned the 5 filters, checked the sensor. VERY clean inside.

My replacements are philips head, so no more worry about darned tiny hex heads. I also rubbed pencil graphite on the thread to avoid this in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Can you not email the company support folks to ask about removing the grub screws? Is it under warranty?
Err, whilst SBIG is a pretty good company (or WAS), I doubt it is under warranty after 15 years Glen

Bill at SBIG told of this one's history (was atually owned by a NASA tech), and he said it was absolutely immaculate (he was actually surprised) and faultless.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:21 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts055 View Post
I wonder if the hex head is briefly hit with a spray of circuit board freeze spray to shrink the fastener then quickly attempt to crack it free. Maybe insert the hex key first before freezing. Jaycar have this spray. https://www.jaycar.com.au/freezing-spray-can/p/NA1000 It is used to find dry solder joints or cracked circuit tracks. Mark
Tried that - no go. I actually already had a can from another project (as well as a can of air duster, which gets pretty cold too).

Brute force in the shape of a left-hand micro drill did the trick. Ruined the screws, but I had replacements on hand.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:40 PM
gts055 (Mark)

Excellent, that will be very satisfying.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:55 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts055 View Post
Excellent, that will be very satisfying.
Indeed - nothing more annoying than stuck screws when you need to get at something.

For anyone needing to know (crickets chirping), the screws are 4-40 x 3/16ths
Old 24-05-2020, 07:25 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

For future reference, using a slightly oversized Torx bit will work, with a light tap using a hammer (very light indeed) its 6 points will dig into the very corners of the hex socket and Voila !!!
Old 24-05-2020, 11:28 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Tried that Matt. No go. Was going to strip the socket.

These were in there gorilla tight and I think SBIG used cheap a$$ chinesium screws (post mortem proved this)
Old 24-05-2020, 05:23 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Good to hear you got them out. I was about to suggest to drill them through. That releases the pressure then an extractor or inverted drill does the job. Matt has a point with the "ajusteur". One sharp tap usually jiggles a seized thread axially, follow up with a bit of WD40 or aerosol and wait a little for it to sip in before getting it out. Does the job 90% of the time.
Old 24-05-2020, 06:43 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

What I was worried about was the shank breaking. These screws are NOT good quality, so am actually glad to replace them.

I went on eBay and bought another 12 as spares for a mere $19...OUCH...
Old 24-05-2020, 07:45 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
What I was worried about was the shank breaking. These screws are NOT good quality, so am actually glad to replace them.

I went on eBay and bought another 12 as spares for a mere $19...OUCH...
Poor quality screws actually help because they're easier to drill. Proper screws you're usually screwed. Literally. Oxy torch screwed.
Old 24-05-2020, 08:13 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Good point Marc.