Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-12-2020, 10:45 PM
Zuts

This years work

Hi,

I re-started my astrophotography after about 10 years and got into Planetary. Over the last 5 months I have been slowly re-learning DSO with my ASI 1600 MC Pro and trusty 15 year old Televue 85.

These are 7 of my recent images, all have been re-processed in PixInsight. Some are from dark skies and some are taken in Glebe with a ZWO DuoBand filter.

None of the images are that deep, maybe 1 to 2 hours integration and none of the subs except for the Rosette at 600s are more than 120 secs. All images have darks, flats and biases.

I will soon be getting an ASI 2600 MC and then will be able to start all over again. I still have a great deal to learn about processing

Images are

M 31, Andromeda
NGC 2024, Horsehead & Flame
NGC 2070, Triffid
NGC 2244, Rosette
NGC 3372, Eta Carina
M 42, Orion
M 45, Pleiades

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (m31.jpg)
214.1 KB111 views
Click for full-size image (ngc2024.jpg)
202.6 KB129 views
Click for full-size image (ngc2070.jpg)
211.9 KB113 views
Click for full-size image (ngc2244.jpg)
193.0 KB90 views
Click for full-size image (ngc3372.jpg)
208.1 KB119 views
Click for full-size image (m42.jpg)
189.2 KB105 views
Click for full-size image (m45.jpg)
197.5 KB99 views
Old 16-12-2020, 11:08 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Nice to have it laid out like that, Paul. The TV85 looks a versatile scope, and I think you've done some nice work with processing too
Looking forward to seeing how you go with the 2600
Old 16-12-2020, 11:19 PM
raymo

Lots of nice stuff to be proud of, but I find the colour of M31 a bit strange.
raymo
Old 17-12-2020, 01:29 AM
TommyJ (Tom)

Thanx

Thanx for your job.
I'm especially liked the second and fifth foto.
In the second photo, I see a cobra. Is this processing on purpose? Or is it just my fantasy?
Old 17-12-2020, 03:04 AM
Fernando

Congratulations! Nice images. I Love the M45. I have a special interest on the Pleiades; beautiful picture.
Old 17-12-2020, 08:49 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Paul
You certainly bagged some great images over recent months including Andromeda which is too low at both my sites
Well done !!
The new 2600MC will definitely take your imaging to another level especially with OSC Narrowband
Good luck with it and can’t wait to see some of your 2600MC images in the new year
Cheers
Martin
Old 17-12-2020, 11:52 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Nice to have it laid out like that, Paul. The TV85 looks a versatile scope, and I think you've done some nice work with processing too
Looking forward to seeing how you go with the 2600
Thanks JP. I am just starting with PI, to date I have only scratched the surface. I have had the TV85 for a long time, its got a few scratches but the Optics are still pristine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Lots of nice stuff to be proud of, but I find the colour of M31 a bit strange.
raymo
Thanks Raymo. Yes, I pushed the saturation a lot to try and get the blues and browns, probably overdoing the yellow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJ View Post
Thanx for your job.
I'm especially liked the second and fifth foto.
In the second photo, I see a cobra. Is this processing on purpose? Or is it just my fantasy?
Thanks Tom. Definately not on purpose, but I guess nebulas are like clouds and you can see anything in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
Congratulations! Nice images. I Love the M45. I have a special interest on the Pleiades; beautiful picture.
Thanks Fernando. I have always wanted to image M45 because of all the blue. I was missing a UV/IR filter and only went for 2 minute subs so the stars are a bit blown out and the detail is a bit wispy. When I get my new camera (which has an inbuilt filter) I will try for much longer subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Paul
You certainly bagged some great images over recent months including Andromeda which is too low at both my sites
Well done !!
The new 2600MC will definitely take your imaging to another level especially with OSC Narrowband
Good luck with it and can’t wait to see some of your 2600MC images in the new year
Cheers
Martin
Thanks Martin. DHL is telling me the camera is being delivered tomorrow, so it's Christmas come early for me
Old 18-12-2020, 07:32 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
Thanks JP. I am just starting with PI, to date I have only scratched the surface. I have had the TV85 for a long time, its got a few scratches but the Optics are still pristine.

Thanks Raymo. Yes, I pushed the saturation a lot to try and get the blues and browns, probably overdoing the yellow...

Thanks Tom. Definately not on purpose, but I guess nebulas are like clouds and you can see anything in them.

Thanks Fernando. I have always wanted to image M45 because of all the blue. I was missing a UV/IR filter and only went for 2 minute subs so the stars are a bit blown out and the detail is a bit wispy. When I get my new camera (which has an inbuilt filter) I will try for much longer subs.

Thanks Martin. DHL is telling me the camera is being delivered tomorrow, so it's Christmas come early for me
Perfect timing, just need some clear skies now , it’s been a horrible summer for AP so far but then again the rain is important, last year the country was on fire
One tip for the 2600MC , use a separate 12V power supply for the camera ( mines overkill 12V 7.5A , but no issues cooling it down to -12c to -15c in this hot humid weather) I reckon use a minimum 12V 5A as it’s a big sensor and big 2 stage TEC cooler , also leave the “anti dew” on all the time Ok
Merry Xmas
Enjoy
Martin
Old 18-12-2020, 12:49 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

A very nice collection of which you can be very proud.
Merry Christmas.
Alex
Old 18-12-2020, 10:06 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Great work. You have bagged all the big ones admirably, with some remarkable detail.
Old 27-12-2020, 03:51 PM
adiastro.photo (Adi)
adiastro.photo

Wow the quality of these are amazing. I especially like the horsehead nebula and andromeda.
For those two, may I ask whether you used your duo narrowband filter or had to travel to dark sites?
Old 27-12-2020, 04:30 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiastro.photo View Post
Wow the quality of these are amazing. I especially like the horsehead nebula and andromeda.
For those two, may I ask whether you used your duo narrowband filter or had to travel to dark sites?

Thanks Adi,

Both those were taken near Bathurst (pretty dark) with just a reducer.

Cheers
Paul
Old 31-12-2020, 10:46 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

that's a years work to be proud of. Excellent :-)