Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Mobile Astronomy Apps
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-10-2014, 04:31 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Mobile-friendly version of "Heavens Above"

I'm not sure if this is old news, but I just discovered that there is a "prototype" version of "Heavens Above" which is designed specifically for Mobile Devices - access it here:

http://www.heavens-above.com/mobile

No need to print out your satellite-pass charts and tables any more - just take your phone / tablet with you, and get real-time tables and charts on demand.

Main features are as follows:

• "Live sky" chart will show you all the current visible satellites as they move across the sky. This is probably the most convenient display for an evening's viewing, as no navigation between pages is necessary.
  • Predictions include all visible satellites up to a configured magnitude cutoff, plus Iridium flares.
  • Javascript automatically refreshes the predictions when necessary and stores them locally on your device. Once you have downloaded the data for the next 24 hours, an Internet connection is no longer necessary.
  • Sky charts are generated on the client using Javascript.
  • Location can be obtained from the phone itself using the HTML5 geolocation service.
  • The site is implemented as a single HTML file and so transitions between pages do not require fetching data from the server.
  • Runs on any device with an HTML5 capable browser (most modern Android and iOS devices).
  • Makes use of the jQuery Mobile framework for a consistent "look and feel".
  • Pages are currently optimised for the smart phone format, but can also be used on tablets. A tablet-optimised layout will be available shortly.
  • The first version of the prototype is only available in the English language, but other languages will follow.

Neat!
Old 22-10-2014, 06:56 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

OOoooer ! <reaches for tablet and wifi connection > Thanks.
Old 22-10-2014, 07:36 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quite cool, thanks again.
Old 16-03-2015, 11:56 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Native Android app for Heavens Above

I'm not sure when this was released, but there is now a native Android app for Heavens Above, available both as a free ad-supported version https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iewer&hl=en-GB and a (rather expensive in my view!) ad-free version https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r_pro&hl=en-GB

Even though I think the asking price for the ad-free version is a bit steep, I paid for the Pro version to encourage continued development of apps like this one - the live "Tracker" function in particular is excellent, as it makes it very simple to find even the fainter satellites.