Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 11-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Ian Robinson

Using a bayonet adapter (Other brand bayonet ==> Canon EF) , anyone ??

I've been doing some homework - I have (re-)discovered that my old trusty Minolta XD5 SLR has a standard Minolta MD bayonet (I think).http://www.camerarepair.com/Used-Cam...C54/XD-5-P101/

I've several very nice zooms and fast widefields and telephotos that fit my old XD5 that produced great photos over many years that are still in great nick.

More homework and I located a Minolta MD - Canon EF bayonet adapter complete with compensating optics (a relay lens ??) builtin made in China , http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220320144662 bought it via Ebay. Cost me just under $60 (AUD) , if it doesn't work satisfactorily I'll have the transaction reversed by VISA , if I can't get the vendor to refund.

Anyone else taken this cheaper route rather than breaking the bank and buying a set of new Canon or Canon equiv (Sigma etc) lenses for their Canon DSLRs ? How successful were your conversions using the slip on whatever - Canon EF adapter that you tried ?

Will give me more options rather than the EFS lens that came with my 40D kit until the exchange rate becomes more acceptable , or until I find a MINT condition EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM on Ebay and win the bidding on it.

Last edited by Ian Robinson; 11-12-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:41 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

I’d just be careful to make sure that no mechanical parts from your older Minolta lenses protrude deep into the Canon body.

My older Pentax K mount lenses have a metal tab that protrudes (deeply) into the Pentax camera body. This metal tab is used by the camera to stop down the iris when the shutter is released.

I suspect that even if I could find a PK-EF mount, I would need to cut off this metal tab to prevent it causing damage inside my 40D.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 12-12-2008, 05:57 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Oly Zuiko lenese on Canon 350D

I found a very narrow Olympus to OEM adaptor ( Ex-Hong Kong) which now allows me to re-use all my old OM-1 Zuiko lenses on the Canon..... absolutely great..........
Old 12-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Ian Robinson

The MD lenses have this too .... I'll attach the adapter to a lens first and see what the arrangement looks like before I attach a lens with the adapter on the bayonet to the 40D , if in doubt , I'll send it back.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:19 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

I've used nikkor lenses on my 350D, As I still have a few from my old nikon days.... They worked fine, although they were all fairly new lenses, designed for the nikon digital SLR's, I've not tried with some of my REALLY old nikkor lenses (35 years old now at least...) but I dare say they will be ok, as they worked fine on my nikons..
Old 12-12-2008, 06:53 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I suspect that even if I could find a PK-EF mount, I would need to cut off this metal tab to prevent it causing damage inside my 40D.
I bought an adaptor off eBay a year ago to do this conversion (Pentax K to EOS/EF), it was a cheap adaptor, I thought I'd give it a shot even with the chance it might not work (I was aware of the potential problem).

It works fine on my partner's EOS 33 and my old EOS 300 (both film) because there's significant space for that protrusion to move inside the housing. But even there it's fiddly to get on and off, quite difficult.

On my 350D it can be used but only with extreme care to orientate the lens such that the protrusion doesn't cause a problem. So I don't use it there.

In reality neither of us have ended up using it, because it's just too much hassle (sort of working sort of not kind of situation).