Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System

Old 07-12-2010, 03:02 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Jupiter 03-11-2010 DSLR Reprosessed

I have been working on a gallery an in doing so I had started some time ago to re-process some images to place on the website. New site listed on my signature - http://waelect.com.au/mswhin63/Malco...%20Photography

One thing that stood out in my processing was new processing methods I learnt when doing the moon shots may have allowed some improvements in MY DSLR Jupiter image -
http://waelect.com.au/mswhin63/Malco...r/index.html#2

I found that the DSLR is now back on my serious Planetary image camera, although I believe it requres very good seeing to make much of a difference, The webcam work better in poorer seeing. Other images are from webcams mostly.

You be the judge, enjoy seeing.

Last edited by mswhin63; 10-12-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Good going Malcolm, you have some really nice sharp lunar images in there, Ive only started out in planetary imaging recently, only small scale and it can be quite a challenge at this level, cant imagine how the big guns handle it, very dedicated.
Nice web page. All the best for more, Rgrds Bob.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:46 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Thanks bob,

With DSLR 450D the frame rate is quite slow so it requires good seeing to be beneifical. I am still going to try the PAL socket one day to see if that improves but x5 magnifaction on Live view may not be available on PAL output.

I think CCD is still better but the DSLR is very easy to setup and use.

Some new features in APT software may allow me to capture Neptune more clearly I hope.

The website I created from a freely available Gallery package Jalbum, it has many different skins that i can change at any time. Very quick as it has a Window desktop application to manage and upload all content. It can as i have upload to a Non Jalbum site which is a big plus.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:56 AM
michaellxv (Michael)

The DSLR image looks good. I guess you just have to pick your night to use it.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:20 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Yeah true, just going through more now, found 3 similar from the same day, Wont be posting just showing the best.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Troy

Nice
Old 10-12-2010, 03:23 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Just noticed re-ordered image according to date of capture so the correct one in now - http://waelect.com.au/mswhin63/Malco...r/index.html#2
Old 10-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

very nice image Malcolm.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Thanks Ray,

Forgot to mention, number of frames - 500 due to the slow frame rate for the camera. Trying to resolve this issue.
Old 15-12-2010, 01:04 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

Awesome images Malcolm!

I was wondering, in description of the first image, you mention that you were limited by your mount; what sort of problem did you have ?
Old 15-12-2010, 02:03 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Hi Ivo,

In my first images I am using the same gear as I have now for imaging. I have a DOB so initially I could only manage the capture of a number of frame while Jupiter and Moon were moving across the Field of View (Earth Rotation). I would then have to reset the scope back and let it run again through the FOV again. This caused pixels to blur even at high frame rates. Pixels as they changed from one location on the sensor to the other may blur across. Sometime 2 or even 3 pixels would blur together.

Now I have built an EQ platform which allow the planets and Moon to stay in the field of view for much longer. It also allows me to barlow the planet view as well. This can only be done with a stable mount. Opticaly enlarging the image provides more pixel and the pixel blur is sufficiently less. I still get a bit of movement within the FOV but it is more stable.

Jupiter though is reletivley hard as Jupiter axis rotation speed is quite high, so especially with the DSLR if I take too long AVI the rotation of the planet is experienced and then get features blurring. This post images are limited to 500 frames, whereas my webcam can take 2 to 3000 frames in the same time frames. The more frames the better Registax or AVIStack or Ninox can sort the better ones.

One project I am working on for my galery is to make a Youtube video showing before and after frames just to show how difficult imaging can be yet how terrible looking frames can turn into nice images.
Old 16-12-2010, 08:51 AM
irwjager (Ivo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
Hi Ivo,

In my first images I am using the same gear as I have now for imaging. I have a DOB so initially I could only manage the capture of a number of frame while Jupiter and Moon were moving across the Field of View (Earth Rotation). I would then have to reset the scope back and let it run again through the FOV again. This caused pixels to blur even at high frame rates. Pixels as they changed from one location on the sensor to the other may blur across. Sometime 2 or even 3 pixels would blur together.

Now I have built an EQ platform which allow the planets and Moon to stay in the field of view for much longer. It also allows me to barlow the planet view as well. This can only be done with a stable mount. Opticaly enlarging the image provides more pixel and the pixel blur is sufficiently less. I still get a bit of movement within the FOV but it is more stable.

Jupiter though is reletivley hard as Jupiter axis rotation speed is quite high, so especially with the DSLR if I take too long AVI the rotation of the planet is experienced and then get features blurring. This post images are limited to 500 frames, whereas my webcam can take 2 to 3000 frames in the same time frames. The more frames the better Registax or AVIStack or Ninox can sort the better ones.

One project I am working on for my galery is to make a Youtube video showing before and after frames just to show how difficult imaging can be yet how terrible looking frames can turn into nice images.
A faster shutterspeed on the webcam could maybe help DOB owners?
Kudos for building your own EQ mount - I had a botched attempt at that as well but then figured I may as well get a proper machined mount (I have a humble 8" though).

Looking forward to the video!