Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 30-05-2018, 10:09 AM
darrellx (Darrell)

Hi All

Well, my wait is nearing an end, I think.

I have just received the second last piece of my equipment upgrade - a Light Box. So, I can report that Exfso has his opposable thumbs working again and is back to making Light Boxes. Excellent job!

The attached pic shows my first light box, the smaller one on the left now 8 years old (and still going strong) with my new and larger light box.

Now the wait for the last piece of equipment - my new mount. I have been told it will be heading my way within the next 2 weeks.

Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (LightBoxes1.jpg)
194.1 KB21 views
Old 22-06-2018, 09:40 AM
darrellx (Darrell)

Hi All

Well it looks like my long wait is nearly over. I have just received notification that my new mount is on the way. Now I am getting really excited.

There are a few issues I will need to resolve before it arrives. I have logged onto the AP User Group and posted a question, but I have a few questions that I would prefer to throw open here on IIS.

So........ for any one who currently owns an AP mount, I am wondering how many bothered to purchase the Astro Physics Control Centre (APCC) software. If you have got the software, I am wondering if you think is was a worthwhile purchase. I do have an observatory, but I expect that the mount will spend equal time at the observatory and at home. It will probably stay setup for a month or two before being moved. I would therefore consider it to be a semi-permanent setup.

Til now, with my EQ6, I have been happy and comfortable with CdC, SGP, PHD2. I also have SN7 but have only ever used it as a planetarium tool. I am wondering if it is worth the expense to purchase APCC.

The other option is MaximDL. From what I have read, this is pretty good software and ticks a lot of boxes for mount control and photography. If I go down this path, do I get the Pro version or go for Pro Suite and get MaxPoint.

Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
darrell
Old 22-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

I have Mach1 and found APCC Pro very useful, although I set up/down for each session, so don't take advantage of building a pointing model for each night. I also use SGP /PHD2 / PemPro combo and it works very well, although one day perhaps I will get MaximDL as I heard it is even better than SGP/PHD2 for controlling imaging equipment.

I got APCC with the mount so don't have any experience with running the mount without APCC.
Old 22-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Marke (Mark)

I use APCC with the Mach1 have used it with and without and its not necessary at all unless you want to use some of its more advanced features. I find the limits and horizon mapping handy . I have stopped using PHD for guiding as I find Maxim does a much better job the the Mach1 for some reason.
Old 22-06-2018, 02:43 PM
gregbradley

I have an Ap1600 and don't use APCC. As I recall and I am not an expert on it, its main attraction was enabling a home position with the addition of a sensor.

Home position is very good selling point for Software Bisque mounts. It makes calibrating the mount very easy.

The other thing that would be handy is being able to set slew limits more easily and limits to tracking so the mount doesn't send the scope into the tripod/mount.

I use the AP timer and a free software that does this. So I start up my AP1600 and then activate this free AP timer to limit the tracking and also another piece of free software that limits the angle the mount will go to before it stops tracking. Both are safeguards.

I believe you also need APCC should you intend to add encoders to your mount if they are available.

What is the current price? When it was first released they had a special for those who wanted to upgrade. I think it was US$1000 or so then.

Greg.
Old 22-06-2018, 02:46 PM
darrellx (Darrell)

Suavi/Mark

What protocol do you prefer to use to control the mount - USB, Ethernet, Wireless? This is my other issue and I have bounced between all three. I am currently thinking wireless, although I could easily use any of them.

I think this is where I get myself confused. I read in the AP documentation that you need APCC to use Ethernet or Wireless. AP also seem to stress that one day other vendors will catch up. Does this mean that there is, or maybe, an issue with Maxim connecting via Ethernet or Wireless? I seem to only be able to find references to Maxim connecting via USB or RS232.
Old 22-06-2018, 03:47 PM
Marke (Mark)

I have the V3 box so I use RS232>USB and have for the last 6yrs I will get around to updating it for either USB or ethernet. Maxim uses ascom drivers for AP
Old 22-06-2018, 04:54 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

I use Ethernet cable because my laptop was too slow for a reliable wifi connection.

I got APCC Pro because it was on special at the time and I was honestly just curious about pointing models which are very easy to make with APCC.
Old 22-06-2018, 08:12 PM
DJT (David)

Hi Darrell

I have an AP900 permanently setup and I have an APMACH1 I use at dark sights, breaking down and setting up over a weekend

I have though about getting APCC but not really got a valid use case.
For the portable APMach1, I use the daylight polar alignment routine which gets you really close then pempro just to be sure.

I have the CP3 box so serial to USB and I use Maxim DL for acquisition. Doesn't miss a beat. Plate solves really well.

I share the handset between the AP900 and Mach1

For the obsy, APCC might be worthwhile but as I dont have a lot invested in automation, I havnt bitten the bullet. I am actually more interested in tools to plan imaging sessions to make the most of the cruddy skies right now

Enjoy the new toy when it arrives. You are going to just love it
Old 26-06-2018, 09:50 AM
darrellx (Darrell)

WOW! I gotta say that I am impressed with UPS. A parcel from the US West Coast to Aust. Picked up from shop on Friday evening (Sat morning in Aus). Sat morning I get an email saying the parcel has been picked up and I am provided with a Tracking Number (actually three numbers because there are three boxes).

Sunday afternoon. I get a call from UPS saying the package is in Sydney waiting to be released from Customs as soon as I pay the taxes and charges. Payment made. Monday, package is released from Customs.

I have been advised by UPS delivery will be Thursday. 5 day delivery time.

Darrell
Old 26-06-2018, 10:01 AM
darrellx (Darrell)

Just back to the issue above, now that the initial euphoria has passed. APCC and Ethernet. The more I look into this, the more I suspect that I will need APCC if I want to use Ethernet as my control option. APCC with the discount if I buy within 40 days of purchasing the mount is $235 (30% discount).

I would like to put that towards MaximDL, but I am not convinced that it can drive the Ethernet port on the GTOCP4.

My best option will be to get both trial versions once I get the mount setup and try each one.

Darrell
Old 26-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Marke (Mark)

You can run it via USB to start with and get Maxim and swap to ethernet later if needed.
Just throw AP a msg or ask on there group forum regarding ethernet and APCC
Old 26-06-2018, 01:19 PM
DiscoDuck (Paul)
Raider Nation

Hi Darrell,
Did you got for the AP Mach1 or 1100 in the end?

I'm curious because I'm waiting on a Mach1 from the current batch!

Regards,
Paul
Old 26-06-2018, 02:22 PM
darrellx (Darrell)

Paul

Yep, the Mach1. Its been a long wait. I think I made my payment in Feb.

Darrell
Old 26-06-2018, 02:43 PM
DiscoDuck (Paul)
Raider Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellx View Post
Paul

Yep, the Mach1. Its been a long wait. I think I made my payment in Feb.

Darrell
Same

I must say though, I'm a bit concerned re the discussion on Cloudy Nights here: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...ur-experience/

I guess we'll both know soon what our mounts are like!

Paul
Old 26-06-2018, 02:56 PM
Marke (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDuck View Post
Same

I must say though, I'm a bit concerned re the discussion on Cloudy Nights here: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...ur-experience/

I guess we'll both know soon what our mounts are like!

Paul
Dont be concerned I think the issue is with PHD . I had much better guiding than they show using PHD but I think its in PHD itself and pulse guide. I use Maxim to guide now and my rms for RA has gone from 0.3 to 0.1 in other words bugger all and DEC ? lol thats now 0.08 RMS
Old 26-06-2018, 04:11 PM
darrellx (Darrell)

Yes, I have been following the discussions on Cloudy Nights quite closely, as well as the discussions on the AP forum. That does seem to be the the consensus coming out - a PHD issue. That's part of the reason why I thought of going Maxim.
Old 26-06-2018, 07:46 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Way back when when I was guiding I did find that I would get better results from Maxim than I did from PHD. PHD generally worked really well but I found Maxim was easier to fine tune.
Old 27-06-2018, 06:19 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Thing is, MaxIM just works. And it LOCKS on the star like vice grips. I still have not tried multi-star guiding with it.

But, for $500 US you'd expect it to be THE best guide solution. Plus it also does focus, dome control, sequences, dithering, image processing, etc etc etc.

PHD2 is fine when everything else is spot on.
Old 27-06-2018, 07:53 AM
DiscoDuck (Paul)
Raider Nation

Unfortunately I want to continue to use SGP, and so have to persevere with PHD2 - or one of the other options, but not Maxim sadly.

Still, it's worked well in taming my EQ6's eccentricities. I hope it can continue to do so with the presumably easier task of driving a Mach1!

Darrell - I look forward to hearing about your first light experiences soon!!

Paul