Old 06-07-2017, 08:22 AM
kon1966 (Kon)

Wedge CCD Align

Hi guys,
I was given a article on ccd drift method by Robert Vice for fork mounted sct by Bintel. The instructions seem simple enough but I was thinking about this method. Have attached article.

The instructions do not state if using no wedge or wedge mounted. I assume no wedge or ALT/AZ as you slew east and west to take a exposure. If you have a wedge then the star image photo will not be horizontal due to you setting the altitude to your latitude.

When you do the initial setup of scope being in Sydney, fork is pointing scp and telescope tube is approx pointing to northern meridian. For first step, can you use a star in north or do I need to rotate ota towards south meridian, follow process and also rotate dslr to be right way up.

Has anyone tried this method.

Regards
Kon
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCD Drift.pdf (22.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 06-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I use it all the time when I go to a dark site.

It only applies when in "equatorial" mode, i.e. with the wedge in your case.

It doesn't matter which one you start with, either meridian or horizon, just do one and then the other. Then go back and forth until it's tracking back over itself in both locations.

It doesn't matter which way the DSLR is oriented...what you're interested in is the result you see on-screen. A V-shape means you are not polar aligned with respect to that axis, so what you are aiming for is just a line where the scope has tracked back over itself precisely.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:43 PM
kon1966 (Kon)

Ah ok, get it now. Thanks for the advice.

Regards
Kon