Old 11-07-2011, 11:08 AM
orestis

Sydney Observatory Observations

Hi everyone,

Last week,I attended work experience at the sydney observatory and enjoyed myself very much.During my work experiecence I saw some objects I hadn't ever seen before.

I saw the sun in H alpha for the first time ever, LIVE.

Wow it was awesome,I could see prominences coming off the sun,everywhere .I even saw one making a looping shape.This was an awesome experience and I only wished I had a Ha telescope of my own.

I also saw Mercury for the first time through the 10'' schmidt cassegrain telescope.I could see its slightly gibbous phase,which was fascinating .I also saw Venus and jupiter in broad daylight which was interesting to see the difference between night and day.

I Also stayed for the night sessions on some nights and saw astronomers teach the public.The telescope dome was pretty cool and thought to myself that in the future I should make one.

Thanks for reading
Cheers Orestis
Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Sounds like you had a great time there

It will be a good experience for you and one you should try and do again at some stage
Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestis View Post
Hi everyone,

I saw the sun in H alpha for the first time ever, LIVE.

Wow it was awesome,I could see prominences coming off the sun,everywhere .I even saw one making a looping shape.This was an awesome experience and I only wished I had a Ha telescope of my own.

Cheers Orestis
It is pretty amazing - not something that I ever get sick of. Mercury also sounds great.

I'd be pretty confident that your will be equipped with a dome and Ha scope at some point.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:45 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Orestis,

I'm sorry I missed you -- I generally only work at night (it's because I'm ugly and it is harder to scare the public at night). I didn't have a shift last week (this week I've got four).

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Imagine doing what you did and getting paid for it! Best Job!

Best,

Les D
Old 12-07-2011, 07:37 AM
orestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi Orestis,

I'm sorry I missed you -- I generally only work at night (it's because I'm ugly and it is harder to scare the public at night). I didn't have a shift last week (this week I've got four).

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Imagine doing what you did and getting paid for it! Best Job!

Best,

Les D
It's alright Les I would of liked to have met you but maybe another time.Geoff Sims and I were having a conversation about you,if that doesn't sound too weird.

we were talking about how amatuer astronomers know more about the genral night sky than most proffesionals.

Geoffrey Wyatt was my supervisor for the week and he said that if i want in the future i should apply for some casual work at the observatory,if i'm going to be attending uni in sydney.

Hope we can meet up some time soon.

Regards Orestis
Old 12-07-2011, 09:03 AM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

Orestis,

All of us who look through a telescope would do well to feel the same excitement that you did when seeing these most extraordinary objects.

It sure beats looking at the latest TV drama, or looking at the house next door !!! (?!?!)

I remember someone who was so used to watching the universe on video that he was absolutely convinced that my telescope could not be showing the things it did show.....he thought that I must have placed a model somewhere in the tube!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:13 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Orestis,

They've got some nice bits of gear there, don't they! The 16" would provide some interesting views of the neighbours at night too, . Ooops, I shouldn't say that too loudly. I wouldn't want to give up the gig for the good folks up on the Hill.

I came across an old article on the history of Observatory Hill. The obs. stands on the site of the first working flour mill built in Australia. It was brought in from England in the mid 1790's in the colony's attempts to be more self sufficient, and only lasted for less than 8 years. Some wiseguy thought it a good idea to nick the cloth sails from the vains one night, and they were never replaced, . Sailing ships galour in those times, and it didn't occur to anyone to make new ones for the mill???? Oh, I forgot, they were all pickled on rum at that time too, thanks to old Governor Bligh.

Edit: I see Robert and I share the same wicked thoughts...
Old 12-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestis View Post

Geoffrey Wyatt was my supervisor for the week and he said that if i want in the future i should apply for some casual work at the observatory,if i'm going to be attending uni in sydney.

Regards Orestis
Go Orestis! Couldn't think of a better casual job for you or a better person for the job. Something to look forward to as a way of funding your solar scope...