Old 31-10-2013, 03:31 PM
jasmax (Sam)

Best CCD for 10" GOTO Skywatcher Dob

Hi everyone. I am continually inspired by the amazing astrophotography on the site - and elsewhere - and am now wanting to take the next step. I still consider myself a beginner in astronomy, in the big scheme of things, so would like advice on what would be the best beginner/mid-range CCD for a 10 inch GOTO scope. I am looking to cover both planetary and deep sky viewing.
Ultimately I would like to buy something that has lasting potential and perhaps could be interchangeable with other scopes as I grow with experience....and have the money to buy better scopes!!
I have been pondering an ATIK 383L+. Thoughts?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Hi Sam,

I'm not sure that camera is any good for planetary? You may wish to consider getting a DSLR for the dob, so that you can record video (for planetary photography) and deep space objects up to 20-25seconds at a higher ISO. Both are possible. Or perhaps you could buy a good planetary dedicated camera to get some better planetary shots and maybe a second hand DSLR for the deep space stuff.

Click on my flickr page if you want to see what kind of results you can expect with a DSLR, i have the 12" SW goto so it would be similar.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80336656@N07/

All the best

Rusty