Old 22-12-2014, 11:39 AM
risingmoon (Sandra)

Exclamation Camera for Celestron 8SE

Can someone please inform me of the best and most economical camera to fix to my Celestron 8SE scope. I usually use a simple Sony digital camera but I get frustrated with it when by the time I put the lens onto the scope everything is gone and although I have been able to catch some good pics, it's not good enough. I can't afford to spend a lot but need something easier to use and more efficient. I want to catch more colour and have more clarity. I appreciate any replies. I am in the Sydney/Liverpool/Sadleir area.
Old 22-12-2014, 12:12 PM
raymo

Two ways to go. The budget way is to get a bracket on ebay for a few dollars, that will hold your camera in place in front of the lens. or
alternatively get a used DSLR on ebay, and a T-adaptor to attach it
directly to the focuser [without using an eyepiece] for better results. You should get a Canon 350D [ or similar model]body for between $120-150, and a T-ring for it for around $30-40.
raymo
Old 22-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

What sort of Sony digital camera is it? A compact, or a DSLR? If the latter, then you can get a T-ring and use it without the lens (i.e. prime focus rather than afocal).
Old 23-12-2014, 11:59 AM
risingmoon (Sandra)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
What sort of Sony digital camera is it? A compact, or a DSLR? If the latter, then you can get a T-ring and use it without the lens (i.e. prime focus rather than afocal).
It is only a Sony Cyber-shot and no DSLR. It worked at the time but really do need to get something more efficient.
Old 23-12-2014, 12:05 PM
risingmoon (Sandra)

Thank you Ramo,
I will have a look at those things and see what I can learn about them. When the camera is attached straight to the lens does that mean I can't view the sky until the camera is unattached from it?
Old 23-12-2014, 02:43 PM
raymo

With a DSLR attached directly to the focuser without an eyepiece, you can
see what the camera is seeing by either looking through the camera's
viewfinder, or using the LCD screen on the back of the camera, but unless you are looking at something bright like the moon, the view will be quite dim. If you are using an up market compact you may be able to see what it is seeing by using
the LCD screen. As budget compact viewfinders don't look through the lens, you would have to move the camera out of the way in order to look through the eyepiece.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 23-12-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: correction