Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
  #141  
Old 18-11-2007, 11:39 AM
GrahamL's Avatar
GrahamL
pro lumen

GrahamL is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ballina
Posts: 3,018
thanks ed ..yep sure does
how do you find the moonlite connecters?.. I'm getting better with them first few times I had poles going everywhere .. they are great though i find
collimation very close every time i set up.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 18-11-2007, 01:50 PM
h0ughy's Avatar
h0ughy (David)
DOGHOUSE REBORN

h0ughy is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NEWCASTLE NSW Australia
Posts: 30,434
that is absolutely fantastic ED congratulations
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 18-11-2007, 02:33 PM
CoombellKid
Registered User

CoombellKid is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,590
Absolutely fantastic!!! what a beautiful looking scope, something to be
real proud. I see now how the design work or comes together slightly
different that what I had expected.

Looking forward to some more reports on first light without beer goggles lol

Well done Ed!

regards,CS
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 18-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Orion's Avatar
Orion
Obsessed

Orion is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Swansea N.S.W.
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
WOW that thing looks absolutely magnificent. Very nicely constructed.
Thanks Andrew.
Yes the construction was one thing but I was in front of the computer nearly every night for a couple of months trying to work out the design before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalker View Post
thanks ed ..yep sure does
how do you find the moonlite connecters?.. I'm getting better with them first few times I had poles going everywhere .. they are great though i find
collimation very close every time i set up.
The moonlite connectors are one of the best things to come out for ATMer's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
that is absolutely fantastic ED congratulations
Thanks mate, it wont be long before you get to see it up in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoombellKid View Post
Absolutely fantastic!!! what a beautiful looking scope, something to be
real proud. I see now how the design work or comes together slightly
different that what I had expected.

Looking forward to some more reports on first light without beer goggles lol

Well done Ed!

regards,CS
Thanks Rob,
It is nice to see the whole thing assembled and the design is certainly different from a Newtonian.
One thing that I won't go back to is the Teflon friction bearings. I'm hooked on the sealed bearings.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 28-12-2007, 01:30 PM
stringscope (Ian)
Registered User

stringscope is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Canberra
Posts: 419
Hi Ed,

Wow, the scope looks absolutely fantastic

When do you think it will be fully operational??

Cheers,
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 29-12-2007, 08:27 PM
CoombellKid
Registered User

CoombellKid is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Thanks Rob,
It is nice to see the whole thing assembled and the design is certainly different from a Newtonian.
One thing that I won't go back to is the Teflon friction bearings. I'm hooked on the sealed bearings.
I do have one question, you have a braked system on your bearings, any
chance you could discribe how that works?

regards,CS
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 29-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Orion's Avatar
Orion
Obsessed

Orion is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Swansea N.S.W.
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringscope View Post
Hi Ed,

Wow, the scope looks absolutely fantastic

When do you think it will be fully operational??

Cheers,
I realy don't know Ian. We are star testing the optics at the moment so we are relying on clear skies rather than the clouds that we've been having, although the past couple of nights have been good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoombellKid View Post
I do have one question, you have a braked system on your bearings, any
chance you could discribe how that works?

regards,CS
It is a system of teflon washers that are squeezed onto the bearings, similar to the drag on a fishing reel.

The latest addition to the telescope.
The CR4 from MoonLite with the filter swing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
83.6 KB444 views
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 29-12-2007, 11:33 PM
h0ughy's Avatar
h0ughy (David)
DOGHOUSE REBORN

h0ughy is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NEWCASTLE NSW Australia
Posts: 30,434
its a work of art Ed
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 12-01-2008, 03:17 PM
tornado33
Registered User

tornado33 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,931
Gee the complete scope looks fantastic, and no doubt the views through it will be just as good, and I cannot wait for that night. I would have loved to had come down with George to see it last night but a mate was coming over and then I had a night of astro-imaging here
Scott
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 12-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Orion's Avatar
Orion
Obsessed

Orion is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Swansea N.S.W.
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado33 View Post
I would have loved to had come down with George to see it last night but a mate was coming over and then I had a night of astro-imaging here
Scott
No problem Scott....next time.

We were out there till 4am the wind calmed down and it was an excellent night.
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 30-03-2008, 02:53 PM
g__day's Avatar
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

g__day is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,564
Looks absolutely beautiful!
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 30-03-2008, 07:25 PM
GrahamL's Avatar
GrahamL
pro lumen

GrahamL is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ballina
Posts: 3,018
Scope is all finished Ed ?...sure looks nice
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 07-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Orion's Avatar
Orion
Obsessed

Orion is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Swansea N.S.W.
Posts: 1,107
Just waiting for the optics to be done I am getting the secondary and the tertiary silvered with a magnesium fluoride over coating. It reflects a bit more. 99% apparently.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 06-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Ian Robinson
Registered User

Ian Robinson is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gateshead
Posts: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Just waiting for the optics to be done I am getting the secondary and the tertiary silvered with a magnesium fluoride over coating. It reflects a bit more. 99% apparently.
How will the Magnesium Fluoride cope with high coastal humidity and dew ?

BTW : I'm green with envy ....
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 06-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Orion's Avatar
Orion
Obsessed

Orion is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Swansea N.S.W.
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robinson View Post
How will the Magnesium Fluoride cope with high coastal humidity and dew ?

BTW : I'm green with envy ....
I don't know Ian, I'll have to wait and see.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 07-05-2008, 09:52 AM
CoombellKid
Registered User

CoombellKid is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,590
Ed,

On your Alt bearing your attached a metal strip. The bearings this strip rides
on I see you have screwed the strip along the center of the strip, do you
get any interference when the bearings ride over (well... under) the screw
holes in the strip?

And any chance you could share with me how you have built the stiction
brakes on the bearings I know you have used Telfon... maybe a sketch you
have laying around the shed... I'm about to start my next dob project
and are interested in your bearing arrangement. I would also like to move
away from the Teflon/formica way of doing it.

regards,CS
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 07-05-2008, 06:01 PM
astroron's Avatar
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

astroron is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cambroon Queensland Australia
Posts: 8,801
Bloody Beauty Ed I might have to do another trip to Lostok just to see it
Ron
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 08-05-2008, 02:42 AM
AlexN's Avatar
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

AlexN is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 6,708
Sure is a ripper of a scope...

I just dont know if that'd be big enough??...
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 08-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Orion's Avatar
Orion
Obsessed

Orion is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Swansea N.S.W.
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoombellKid View Post
Ed,

On your Alt bearing your attached a metal strip. The bearings this strip rides
on I see you have screwed the strip along the center of the strip, do you
get any interference when the bearings ride over (well... under) the screw
holes in the strip?

And any chance you could share with me how you have built the stiction
brakes on the bearings I know you have used Telfon... maybe a sketch you
have laying around the shed... I'm about to start my next dob project
and are interested in your bearing arrangement. I would also like to move
away from the Teflon/formica way of doing it.

regards,CS
The screws on the strip are not in the centre it just looks that way. The bearings ride on the inside of the screw heads missing them altogether.

I"ll PM you about the braked bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Bloody Beauty Ed I might have to do another trip to Lostok just to see it
Ron
Thanks Ron, it certainly is a step up from the 18".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Sure is a ripper of a scope...

I just dont know if that'd be big enough??...
Thanks Alex.
The limiting factor is the chamber that the mirror has to fit in to get aluminized!

Here are a couple of photos...The electrical work has been done, Servocat motors have been installed and the new parameters of the scope have been entered.
Alt and AZ encoders have been installed and the GoTo and tracking seem to be working fine.

I have decided to build a table for the telescope which will be attached to the rocker box and will utilize the same holes that the wheel barrow handles are attached to.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
161.9 KB687 views
Click for full-size image (2.jpg)
173.0 KB1392 views

Last edited by Orion; 09-05-2008 at 04:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Ian Robinson
Registered User

Ian Robinson is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gateshead
Posts: 2,205
No doubt about it.... some of the locals in my neck of the woods are very cleavour telescope builders and they've managed to produce telescopes to be proud of.

Must be something in the water here ....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 09:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement