Old 28-10-2016, 07:27 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Maxim and dual-chip CCDs

I'm having a play with an SBIG ST-2000XM CCDwhich has the dual sensor arrangement. But these ST ccds don't have a ST4 port so my question is what settings to use in Maxim for the guider control. Main Relays, Telescope etc. Anyone got any idea?
Peter
Old 29-10-2016, 04:58 PM
DJT (David)

Hi Peter
I am also playing around with the same CCD and software. Will send you details when I get back home tomorrow

Cheers
Old 29-10-2016, 05:32 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Hi Peter, I use an SBIG dual chip with Sequence Generator Pro. For that there is another driver to download and you select what chip you want to guide with in the equipment setup area in SGP and select the driver in PHD. Not sure if Maxim is the same but David sound like he should be able to provide advice.

Brett
Old 29-10-2016, 05:47 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
Hi Peter
I am also playing around with the same CCD and software. Will send you details when I get back home tomorrow

Cheers
Thanks David and Brett. Looking forward to being enlightened.
Peter
Old 29-10-2016, 08:37 PM
ericwbenson (Eric)

Hi Peter,
You can use main relays if you connect the ST4 cable (which attaches to the camera via a DB9-RJ something adapter). Or use telescope and no cable. Which is better mostly depends on the mount and how it handles guide corrections. However most mounts these days handle ASCOM direct guider signals fine. (Telescope connection = ASCOM direct, the telescope connection also allows Maxim to control the scope slewing etc)

HTH,
EB
Old 30-10-2016, 01:57 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwbenson View Post
Hi Peter,
You can use main relays if you connect the ST4 cable (which attaches to the camera via a DB9-RJ something adapter). Or use telescope and no cable. Which is better mostly depends on the mount and how it handles guide corrections. However most mounts these days handle ASCOM direct guider signals fine. (Telescope connection = ASCOM direct, the telescope connection also allows Maxim to control the scope slewing etc)

HTH,
EB
Thanks Eric. I am indebted to you for that info.

Peter
Old 30-10-2016, 07:51 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Make yourself a TIC cable (as per the manual or SBIG web site).

This will give you a ST4 compatible connector....and due its low response time I suspect you will find it works so much better than any direct guide/ASCOM mode.
Old 31-10-2016, 03:08 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Make yourself a TIC cable (as per the manual or SBIG web site).

This will give you a ST4 compatible connector....and due its low response time I suspect you will find it works so much better than any direct guide/ASCOM mode.
G'day Peter. I have a distant recollection about problems with ground loops with TIC cables and ST cameras - and perhaps needing an opto-isolator to be inserted between CCD. and mount. Does that ring any bells with you?

Peter
Old 02-11-2016, 06:55 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
G'day Peter. I have a distant recollection about problems with ground loops with TIC cables and ST cameras - and perhaps needing an opto-isolator to be inserted between CCD. and mount. Does that ring any bells with you?

Peter
Ah...well yes, if you are using a Losmandy digital stepper and DSC's you might have a problem....but I assume this is not the drive you are using.