#1  
Old 21-03-2019, 09:08 PM
miki63au's Avatar
miki63au
Registered User

miki63au is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 315
Byers-worm /EQ mount

Hi everyone,


At last, I stopped procrastinating (very good at that ) and progress with the Byers-worm/EQ project.


I have high hopes for this. Can't afford a high-end mount, and hunted down the Byers worm gears. 11" for RA and 6" for the DEC.
All plates and bearing housing is alu... the shafts are steel.

The tapered roller bearings ID is 70mm/North and 40mm/South. The worms will be driven by EqDrive steppers direct and controlled by EQMOD.

The C14HD will ride on this with a 80ED and perhaps a 6RC.


Not sure what to expect from this... Byers worm gear has a good reputation. Did a lot of research ... not found much plan or drawing. So I tried to keep it simple, but 'robust' ... if that's the right word. Going to be on a pier in an obsy... don't care of the weight.



My friends help me with the machining and did the drawings.
Before the machining, I like to ask you to comment on the design.
I'll welcome any input/criticism, suggestions.



I'll try to get CN's members help too.




Tank you
Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Telescope mount plan assembly_1200_b.jpg)
172.8 KB63 views
Click for full-size image (Telescope mount iso assembly_1200_b.jpg)
104.2 KB63 views
Click for full-size image (20190320_152214_800.jpg)
88.6 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (20190320_152811_700.jpg)
172.9 KB63 views
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21-03-2019, 09:25 PM
spiezzy
Registered User

spiezzy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Helensburgh NSW
Posts: 315
Wow Mick I will be watching this thread with interest this is going to be some mount thanks for sharing
cheers Pete
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)
Registered User

Saturnine is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wollongong
Posts: 797
Looks like a great project, very solid construction and well designed, can't see any obvious flaws. The Byers Worm drives have a good reputation and I think I read on C.N. that Ed Byers was ceasing production, he has been around for a long time. Did the gears come with the slip clutches, not shown in your drawings and how are you locking the R.A. and Dec shafts after hand slewing, just curious from an machinists and construction point of view .
Not envious at all, much. Would love to have the facilities to machine up something similar and have somewhere to mount it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22-03-2019, 08:09 AM
Wavytone (Nick)
BigBanger

Wavytone is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Killara, Sydney
Posts: 3,815
Mick decades ago Byers drives were the holy grail - and very very expensive - not just a “good reputation”. Should work beautifully esp if you add an autoguider.


Somewhat envious but I don’t build stuff anymore.

Congratulations !!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22-03-2019, 08:35 AM
bojan's Avatar
bojan
amateur

bojan is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mt Waverley, VIC
Posts: 5,735
Good design..

My only comment would be that because of shifted centre of gravity (marked with circle) in relation to the pier, there will be a considerable moment tending to bend the pier... but almost certainly you will not notice that. I would still do it like shown on the image...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Telescope mount plan assembly_1200_b.jpg)
102.0 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (Telescope mount plan assembly_1200_c.jpg)
104.7 KB29 views

Last edited by bojan; 22-03-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22-03-2019, 08:57 AM
miki63au's Avatar
miki63au
Registered User

miki63au is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 315
Thanks everyone,
Jeff;
the gears come with the slip clutches, it's on the drawing just not tagged.
It will be a Go-To not a push-to ... will use EqDrive steppers (not shown on drawing yet)


Nick;
Yes will use PHD2


Bojan;
I still working out to amount of over-hung to avoid meridian flip. The pier is 6" thick wall steel, bolted to a 12" concrete base with 20mm threaded rods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20190316_181234.jpg)
199.8 KB49 views

Last edited by miki63au; 22-03-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)
Registered User

Saturnine is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wollongong
Posts: 797
Should have thought it through a bit more, of course the mount would be Go - To , automated, doh.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23-03-2019, 01:36 AM
GW (Graeme)
Registered User

GW is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: perth
Posts: 3
Hi Mick

Your design will work well.
but be aware this can become addictive .

I am currently working on version 3 .
I originally started by finding an old good quality 10" worm and gear in the scrap, and got inspired by others here on Iceinspace .

had to buy second worm gear so brought the same as you(Byers 11")

I work in engineering but have never put any drawings on paper
just got ideas of the internet and tried it.

attached are photos of my fist attempt and verion2

version 1 worked extremely well but looked a bit agricultural so redesigned it (made it look more professional.)

both versions fully computerised using Arduino/EQAstro.
Had help for this part from a very talented work colleague (thanks Thava) but overall process was surprising easy.

Don't know how much it can carry but at least 30kg (as per set up in 3rd photo)

I am making Version 3 for Thava but this will be using 8" Byers , and this time round Thava is programming everything from scratch so it will be interesting to see how it performs

If you need any help let me know.

regards
Graeme
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1st eq mount.jpg)
100.1 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (2nd eq.jpg)
91.2 KB56 views
Click for full-size image (full view eq.jpg)
83.5 KB52 views
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23-03-2019, 07:51 AM
Stefan Buda
Registered User

Stefan Buda is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 547
Mick,

I used a couple of those Byers worm sets for my big Alt-Az mount and I am very happy with them - they are really well made.

One comment about your last picture: Hope you are going to use washers with those screws. It hurts my eyes when I look at that photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (16inchPics 025s.jpg)
178.5 KB38 views
Click for full-size image (16inchPics 027s.jpg)
172.2 KB38 views
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23-03-2019, 09:47 AM
miki63au's Avatar
miki63au
Registered User

miki63au is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Buda View Post
Mick,

I used a couple of those Byers worm sets for my big Alt-Az mount and I am very happy with them - they are really well made.

One comment about your last picture: Hope you are going to use washers with those screws. It hurts my eyes when I look at that photo.

Hi Stefan,


Your mount look gorgeous
Can't see clutch... how do you balance?


Ps: re washers... you mean the pier to threaded rod? Yes
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23-03-2019, 10:01 AM
miki63au's Avatar
miki63au
Registered User

miki63au is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
Hi Mick

Your design will work well.
but be aware this can become addictive .

I am currently working on version 3 .
I originally started by finding an old good quality 10" worm and gear in the scrap, and got inspired by others here on Iceinspace .

had to buy second worm gear so brought the same as you(Byers 11")

I work in engineering but have never put any drawings on paper
just got ideas of the internet and tried it.

attached are photos of my fist attempt and verion2

version 1 worked extremely well but looked a bit agricultural so redesigned it (made it look more professional.)

both versions fully computerised using Arduino/EQAstro.
Had help for this part from a very talented work colleague (thanks Thava) but overall process was surprising easy.

Don't know how much it can carry but at least 30kg (as per set up in 3rd photo)

I am making Version 3 for Thava but this will be using 8" Byers , and this time round Thava is programming everything from scratch so it will be interesting to see how it performs

If you need any help let me know.

regards
Graeme

Hi Graeme,
your eq mounts looks great



The Mk1 you have the worm gears South of the axes then you moved it to the North like AstroP. Did you find this arrangement better? I looked lots of designs, and by place it to the South make the clutch more accessible and the Dec has less over-hung. That was the old way... now every mount use North for the worm location. I guess better for Go-To?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Stefan Buda
Registered User

Stefan Buda is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by miki63au View Post
Hi Stefan,


Ps: re washers... you mean the pier to threaded rod? Yes
I think so - see attached picture. The contact area between the screw and the plate appears to be so small that the slot will get damaged. A washer should increase the contact area.
My mount can be pushed around like a Dob so that I can check the seeing without having to plug in the electricals. The scope lives outside on the patio while the PC and power supply is on a trolley in the shed.
The friction clutch can be adjusted by the small screws near the centre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (WasherNeede.jpg)
30.8 KB25 views
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 23-03-2019, 10:29 AM
miki63au's Avatar
miki63au
Registered User

miki63au is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Buda View Post
I think so - see attached picture. The contact area between the screw and the plate appears to be so small that the slot will get damaged. A washer should increase the contact area.
My mount can be pushed around like a Dob so that I can check the seeing without having to plug in the electricals. The scope lives outside on the patio while the PC and power supply is on a trolley in the shed.
The friction clutch can be adjusted by the small screws near the centre.

I see what you mean, yes I'll use washers... it's a temp arrangement at the moment
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 23-03-2019, 07:31 PM
GW (Graeme)
Registered User

GW is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: perth
Posts: 3
Hi Mick
I found that by mounting the clutch directly on the main shaft (doing away with part pictured)I got better alignment of the worm and gear .
Plus I could reduce shaft length by about 75mm making the whole unit a lot more compact.
Moving the Dec stepper to the rear (something not possible when on the south end)also reduced bulk and helped with cable management
regards
Graeme
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (clutch.jpg)
92.8 KB27 views
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 23-03-2019, 08:41 PM
miki63au's Avatar
miki63au
Registered User

miki63au is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
Hi Mick
I found that by mounting the clutch directly on the main shaft (doing away with part pictured)I got better alignment of the worm and gear .
Plus I could reduce shaft length by about 75mm making the whole unit a lot more compact.
Moving the Dec stepper to the rear (something not possible when on the south end)also reduced bulk and helped with cable management
regards
Graeme

Thanks Graeme interesting, you are the 2nd person to suggest get rid of the clutch and make the worm dis-engage for balancing. Too scared not to have clutch and the Byers arrangement is well tested of time. Replace the alu hub-teflon shim with steel shaft? And how to support the wheel? Thrust bearings?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 24-03-2019, 10:33 AM
GW (Graeme)
Registered User

GW is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: perth
Posts: 3
HI Mick

The worm gear is clamped with Teflon washers and a locknut system, so I still have a clutch
For balancing I disengage the worm .( Slacken the retaining screws and a spring pushes it out of the way .)

Regards
Graeme
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 24-03-2019, 04:31 PM
miki63au's Avatar
miki63au
Registered User

miki63au is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
HI Mick

The worm gear is clamped with Teflon washers and a locknut system, so I still have a clutch
For balancing I disengage the worm .( Slacken the retaining screws and a spring pushes it out of the way .)

Regards
Graeme

Thanks Graeme,
I'll see if that is possible for this project ...thinking

The reason I like the Dec over-hung, is to track pass the Meridian.
So to eliminate the already machined clutch arrangement for reducing the RA shaft length is not attractive to me.... and need to machine an accurate shaft OD to replace the Byers hub ... matching the worm wheel ID.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 01:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement