Old 05-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

That dirty benchmark thread

Folks,

Been thinking about this for a while and thought I'd kick it off. Partly inspired by the recurring imaging sensor discussion which is always insightful.

My thoughts were to post examples from different setups of the same object, but that's limiting in that there aren't objects that are well placed all year round. Keeping it down to a seasonal selection might be an idea?

Anyhow, I figure this is only as good as what we make it, so go ahead and post and describe what took the image along with a rough assessment of the sky conditions.

Cheers,
Dunk
Old 05-10-2016, 09:01 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Here's a test shot I took of the Lagoon with a ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool on my SW Esprit 100.

This was taken one night at AstroFest and the seeing wasn't the greatest and the stars are fairly large...I've seen smaller with my old 1100D at that site.

This is 16x 60 second luminance subs stacked in PixInsight with only a histogram stretch (no funky business like NR).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dunk-Lagoon-full_20pc.jpg)
173.3 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (Dunk-Lagoon_top_100pc.jpg)
162.5 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (Dunk-Lagoon_bot_100pc.jpg)
186.3 KB43 views
Old 06-10-2016, 09:12 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to more examples on this thread. Just for clarity's sake, are you trying to keep the number and length of subs to a standardised level also?

-Markus
Old 06-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Another great idea already - yeah some kind of logic to the exposure time would make sense, maybe on a sliding scale with f-ratio?

I also think posting excerpts from the raw data is interesting...seeing the noise fizzle with stacking as a comparison.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:25 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I reckon there's a couple of objects we can get reasonably well from most spots in Australia, the Lagoon in Winter and Eta Carinae in summer.

Both are bright (so maybe not the best yard sticks) but that would also keep the incident effort minimal.

Alternatively, fainter subjects present a more challenging insight which may turn out to be more revealing.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:19 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I think it's probably best to explicitly layout the data you want to capture here if you're trying to make comparisons. What information must be presented, etc. Otherwise you'll end up with heaps of results with too many variations to effectively compare.

Picking targets is a good idea. It certainly might be worth adding a couple of fainter or different types of targets to the list as well, e.g. a galaxy?
Old 06-10-2016, 10:58 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Sub length should not be fixed to allow each imaging system to work within its optimal parameters. For example, if we make sub length 30 minutes it won't necessarily work very well for ASI, and vice versa.

I suggest simply picking the targets and letting people do what they can with their gear and time, but maybe only limit the images to mono and no sharpening, deconvolution, NR etc?
Old 06-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

All good points chaps I started the thread with the hope to get this kind of feedback. Even if all it does is give folk an idea of what to expect with different scopes/sensors, that's interesting and useful IMO.

When it comes to total exposure length, I'm not sure what would be reasonable, again I just kicked this off as a forum to discuss this vague idea (whether or not it turns out to be useful!). I started off with (the best) 16 subs of my first test shots with the 1600. With travels and associated weather I haven't had a chance to use it since. But hopefully soon.

Any suggestions for fainter targets? There must be heaps of southern targets to have a go at that I may/not be familiar with
Old 07-10-2016, 09:04 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

not dissimilar I've always liked the idea of people on here collaborating on 1 target every 3 months. to do a combined uber mega data set (its my only hope of an APOD! - obviously every contributer would need to be acknowledged).
it wouldn't matter if there were widefield and high res shots we know they can be merged nicely.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
not dissimilar I've always liked the idea of people on here collaborating on 1 target every 3 months. to do a combined uber mega data set (its my only hope of an APOD! - obviously every contributer would need to be acknowledged).
it wouldn't matter if there were widefield and high res shots we know they can be merged nicely.
I wonder if these massive data sets could be also used to scientific ends? Would a large enough data set rival those possible by larger observatories who's time is tightly scheduled?

-Markus
Old 07-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

What about the Tarantula for a start?
Old 07-10-2016, 12:04 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Ngc 253?
Old 07-10-2016, 12:20 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

I'd be keen to contribute to collaborations, once I'm back up and running again.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:56 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Living in the Red Zone I can help with narrowband but that's about it Unless I head to my dark site!