Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-02-2021, 10:18 AM
gregbradley

What Binoviewers are a decent combo of price and performance?

I am interested in a bino.

In the past I had a Denk Bino with power switch and a pair of 19mm Panoptics and it was quite good.

Bino's though seemed to be a dimmer view compared to an eyepiece but the comfort of view is desirable.

I saw a cheap pair on ebay for about $150, they are Chinese. Chances are they may come from the same factory as a lot of others.

What bino's would you recommend?

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 13-02-2021 at 11:00 AM.
Old 13-02-2021, 02:18 PM
astro744

I use the Tele Vue Bino Vue with 24mm and 19mm Panoptic and 16mm T5 Nagler together with 24mm click-stop zooms and a selection of Brandon’s. For higher power if needed I simply switch the 2x amplifier with a different Powermate. I like the Bino Vue because the clear aperture is large enough to accomodate the field stop diameter of the 24mm Pans. I recommend them because they are a first class product and the only ones I can vouch for.

The Zeiss ones in the classifieds at present sound like they may represent excellent value. If I didn’t already have the Bino Vue, I’d be tempted by the Zeiss.

I cannot vouch for any low cost ones as I have not used any but I’m sure there are bargains out there it just depends on how much you are prepared to spend on finding out. The clear aperture is one thing that pushes the price up but overall build quality is very important.
Old 13-02-2021, 04:33 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Greg ....I agree on the Denk Binos ...good value for their money and good quality for the price.

A WO Bino IMHO, is an entry level product that does the job ...tho has smaller prisms than the better ones.

If I could afford it, I'd like to get the ' optimized ' Bino's from Dennis who list his products now and then on IIS. He has different ' grades ' of Bino's available, depending on the ' mods ' he has done to them.

My budget for myself if I could find them again, is the Denk II ( which I had a pair years ago )

Col..
Old 13-02-2021, 08:21 PM
DPG77 (David)

I use the Williams Optics binoviewer with 2 TV 19mm Panoptics and often a 2x TV Powermate. The solar system views through my C9.25 with this setup are VERY respectable, certainly a big improvement over the same power view with the same eyepieces with one eye!

In my opinion the WO binoviewer is very good for (bright) Solar system objects and a great price too. Maybe not the best choice for fainter deepsky viewing, but I don't use them for this purpose.... and a mere fraction of the price of most other binoviewers.

Cheers,

David.
Old 14-02-2021, 02:20 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPG77 View Post
I use the Williams Optics binoviewer with 2 TV 19mm Panoptics and often a 2x TV Powermate. The solar system views through my C9.25 with this setup are VERY respectable, certainly a big improvement over the same power view with the same eyepieces with one eye!

In my opinion the WO binoviewer is very good for (bright) Solar system objects and a great price too. Maybe not the best choice for fainter deepsky viewing, but I don't use them for this purpose.... and a mere fraction of the price of most other binoviewers.

Cheers,

David.
There seem to be several around US$400-500. Altair from APM and Altair direct, William Optics, Baader Maxbright (approx. US$500), basic Denk 11

This cheap Ali Express one, I wonder if its worth a $150 gamble?

Greg.
Old 14-02-2021, 03:46 PM
astro744

The cheap ones will be a better match for a cheaper refractor, not your AP130GT. The view in any optical train is only as good as the weakest link. A poorly made binoviewer (more likely to be a cheap one) will degrade any performance gains your best eyepieces and best refractor are capable of.
Old 14-02-2021, 04:25 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro744 View Post
The cheap ones will be a better match for a cheaper refractor, not your AP130GT. The view in any optical train is only as good as the weakest link. A poorly made binoviewer (more likely to be a cheap one) will degrade any performance gains your best eyepieces and best refractor are capable of.
Yes that's true.

Greg.
Old 14-02-2021, 06:45 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

I read that MaxbrightII are quite good. From a higher shelf, AP's website has Mark V listed so they must be good, but the price is higher too.
Old 15-02-2021, 12:00 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
I read that MaxbrightII are quite good. From a higher shelf, AP's website has Mark V listed so they must be good, but the price is higher too.
Yes I read a review of them and they came up well.
The Altair binos sounds good as well. Both are similar prices with the Altair a bit cheaper. But it has a 30mm prism and uses higher grade glass.

Greg.
Old 15-02-2021, 12:39 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

These choices are nearly always “catch 22” for me.

I hate to spend the money for something I may not enjoy/use...but on the other hand, if I enjoy it, I will regret not getting the best.

Maybe look for a used higher end bit of gear?
Old 15-02-2021, 08:35 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott View Post
These choices are nearly always “catch 22” for me.

I hate to spend the money for something I may not enjoy/use...but on the other hand, if I enjoy it, I will regret not getting the best.

Maybe look for a used higher end bit of gear?
Scott, yes that is exactly the dilemma. Although I have had a Den 1 before with a power switch. It was definitely good but it also does give a dimmer view so probably not ideal for a small aperture scope.

For my casual use a $150 gamble may be worth it as these Chinese binos in general get good reviews.

Greg.
Old 15-02-2021, 12:24 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Greg. I agree with Scott on this one. With your high end gear you need high quality to go with it or its a waste. Dennis Levatic has some beauties for sale in accessories section. If youre not sure about whether binos are for you have a go with someone elses and if you like then buy top of range. I'm good at spending your money
Cheers, Richard.
Old 15-02-2021, 01:36 PM
gregbradley

Hi Richard,

Yes you are right and I'll stick to a decent pair. Denk 11 or Altair or Baader Maxbright.

I am bit of a fan of Baader Products so most likely that one.

Then I need to work out which eyepieces to get a 2nd one. I am thinking of the 28mm RKE as its cheap but excellent and 28mm would be good given these binos have a barlow in front.

In the past I used 2 x 19mm Panoptics. Perhaps 2 x 18.2mm Delites (I have 1) or a 2nd 17.5mm Morpheus.

Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
Hi Greg. I agree with Scott on this one. With your high end gear you need high quality to go with it or its a waste. Dennis Levatic has some beauties for sale in accessories section. If youre not sure about whether binos are for you have a go with someone elses and if you like then buy top of range. I'm good at spending your money
Cheers, Richard.
Old 15-02-2021, 02:23 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Greg, maybe the 17.5 morpheus is a good choice as you are so impressed with them in previous posts. Telescop Express distinctly mention on their site that they are optimised for bino use (I think due to weight and size). You probably can't go wrong with the delites as well.
Cheers Richard.
Old 15-02-2021, 03:51 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

The Morpheus work well in my APM binoculars...I also have 2 sets of the Denkmeir eyepieces which I like a lot but the Morpheus beats them
Old 15-02-2021, 05:16 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
Hi Greg, maybe the 17.5 morpheus is a good choice as you are so impressed with them in previous posts. Telescop Express distinctly mention on their site that they are optimised for bino use (I think due to weight and size). You probably can't go wrong with the delites as well.
Cheers Richard.
That's good to know they are recommend for bios. The 16mm Nagler is nice too and quite compact. I'll probably go the Morpheus.

Quote:

The Morpheus work well in my APM binoculars...I also have 2 sets of the Denkmeir eyepieces which I like a lot but the Morpheus beats them
Thanks for that. How do you like your APM binos?

Greg.
Old 16-02-2021, 01:25 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

I like the APM Binoculars...I have the 100 mm because that is what existed when I bought them...if I were doing it now I would probably go with the 120 mm.

I have used them for comets and just "cruising" the night sky. I have a preference for monocular and higher power viewing but the APMs are nice to use. I have the 45 degree ones and they have gotten a little daytime use too. They are solid but not "too" heavy...

Same comment holds for all of my gear, my challenge is more time available, atmospheric and lack of dark sky related than anything else. Hopefully in retirement (a few years away) I will be able to fully take advantage of what I have.
Old 16-02-2021, 01:31 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

I should add that like all things you need to think through and have an adequate mount to accomplish what you want.

When I started with them I had them under mounted with just a simple tripod...easy and light but needed a few seconds of dampening time with each movement.

Kind of defeated the purpose of what I wanted to do in "scanning" the night sky...so I stepped up and got the APM Fork Mount and have not looked back...rock solid and steady.
Old 16-02-2021, 08:27 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
I like the APM Binoculars...I have the 100 mm because that is what existed when I bought them...if I were doing it now I would probably go with the 120 mm.

I have used them for comets and just "cruising" the night sky. I have a preference for monocular and higher power viewing but the APMs are nice to use. I have the 45 degree ones and they have gotten a little daytime use too. They are solid but not "too" heavy...

Same comment holds for all of my gear, my challenge is more time available, atmospheric and lack of dark sky related than anything else. Hopefully in retirement (a few years away) I will be able to fully take advantage of what I have.
I see, I thought you meant binoviewers on a telescope not binoculars.

Good to know the binoculars are good and yes I can see a mount would be critical.

Greg.
Old 16-02-2021, 09:08 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

In respect to Binoviewers I have an older Denkmeier (spelling) I used on my old 8 inch Bintel reflector and then on my 12.5 inch reflector..it is/was okay on the moon and bright things but I wanted more...so I jumped up to the binocular telescope.