Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2018, 02:59 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

It was the closest I have come to calling in on the radio to have a crack back that her cycling safety is just as much up to the her as to the unfortunate motorist she rides out in front of.

Wonder if she expects cars to just avoid her no matter what idiocy she gets up to as a pedestrian too.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:18 PM
raymo

I'm not surprised that no E -bikes offer regenerative braking; they are
probably trying to keep the price down to a level that less affluent
pensioners can afford.[I assume that they are a large proportion of their
customers]. I am surprised though that it is not offered as an optional extra.
If you live in a flattish area, and do mostly short trips, you would gain very little for your money if it was a standard fitment.
raymo
Old 01-11-2018, 05:14 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
It was the closest I have come to calling in on the radio to have a crack back that her cycling safety is just as much up to the her as to the unfortunate motorist she rides out in front of.
Do not be upset good Sir. Darwinism is a thing. Let us pay respects in advance, to the poor sod who will play their part in removing her from society. Once moved on, by virtue of her own wishes, she can offer no further complication to us normal people
Old 01-11-2018, 06:40 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I'm not surprised that no E -bikes offer regenerative braking; they are
probably trying to keep the price down to a level that less affluent
pensioners can afford.[I assume that they are a large proportion of their
customers]. I am surprised though that it is not offered as an optional extra.
If you live in a flattish area, and do mostly short trips, you would gain very little for your money if it was a standard fitment.
raymo

I am not surprised in the lower end bikes around a couple of grand, but it is not there on $10K models either. Not exactly a deal breaker, but they are touted for the ease they make of hills among other things, and if that is a selling point (Meaning you want them for going up hills) then you would presumably be coming down them too.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:48 PM
raymo

Talking about coming down hills too, brought an amusing memory back to me.
Its not a joke. This lady I knew many years ago[and yes, she was Irish] told
me one day that it was uphill all the way from Pt. Hedland to Broome[about
600kms]. When I said that was impossible, because by the time you got there, even at a gradient of 1% you would be at an altitude of 6000 metres,
she stuck to her guns and said that she always without fail got better fuel
consumption when going from Broome to Hedland, so it had to be downhill
in that direction. She would not admit that she was wrong even when I pointed out that the overwhelmingly prevailing wind was East to West,
which was why she used more fuel in one direction than the other. To cap
it off we were in Broome at the time, and when I said that we didn't seem to be at 6000 metres, she just snorted and went off in a huff.
raymo
Old 01-11-2018, 10:12 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Bikes should have roll bars, side impact protection, seatbelts (stop you going over the handlebars) and airbags for protection from frontal collisions.

Riders should be wearing full body armour.
Yep...safely in a car...
Old 01-11-2018, 10:59 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Talking about coming down hills too, brought an amusing memory back to me.
Nice one

Has anyone here ever gotten a speeding ticket on a bicycle before? A mate of mine was done a few years back pulling 70 in a 60 zone (downhill of course). This was in the dead of night, all alone... they were just waiting at the bottom of the hill. You think they'd let him off just for effort
Old 02-11-2018, 10:22 AM
inline_online (Dan)

I used to try for speeding tickets in my late teens, early twenties on my MTB.
Managed 88 km/hr down a big hill in Doubleview, Perth. No cops though which was a shame.
Managed 75 km/hr down a diff hill on my old inline skates. 2am, drunk and trying to get to 80 on the skates
Good times!!
Old 02-11-2018, 11:06 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpiel View Post
Yep...safely in a car...
Yep that's why it costs Billions of Dollars a year in medical bills to both drivers and governments with the road toll as it is.
All the talk about cyclists is just BS. Most of the time it is just impatient motorist who resent anyone who would delay their right to proceed to their destination unimpeded.
Sure there are the rogue elements in the cycling fraternity but non more than in the motoring public,hence again see the road toll and cost there of.
BTW most bicycle riders have a registered vehicle,so should Know the rules of the road.
By using their bikes they are saving wear and tear on the roads.
Also when should you start registering a bicycle?
When your child gets their first bike?
Don't forget the "P" Plates.
The moral of the story is be more aware and tolerant of other road
users, whether they ride a bike ,scooter or drive a car, you will surely
have a happier and safer day.
Cheers

Last edited by astroron; 02-11-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:18 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
I purchased an Electric Bike about 7 months ago.
36Volts / 16Ah Battery .... can go 80klms on 1 charge.

Top Speed .... 25klms / Hr

3 x different power ratings . Low / Medium / High
Disc Brake Front / Multi Geared Rear Wheel.

Comes with all necessary accessories ... / F & R Lights / Both Mudguards / Shock Obsorbers F and Rear / Rear Carry Rack / Tool Kit / Bike Stand .

Can ' fold ' in half and take in the Car Boot

Brand ...LEITNER ( German ) reviews here ........ http://www.leitner.com.au/reviews/

Up steep hills no problems ... I quite like it.
I always use concrete bike-ways ....sometime on Road Way ' if ' I have to.

Shipped mine from Melbourne. http://www.leitner.com.au/electric-f...tner-html.html

Col....
That's very Flash, Flash Do you know if the red ones are actually faster
I am thinking of a pair of these hanging of the back of the AutoTrail
Old 02-11-2018, 03:06 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
yep that's why it costs billions of dollars a year in medical bills to both drivers and governments with the road toll as it is. All the talk about cyclists is just bs. Most of the time it is just impatient motorist who resent anyone who would delay their right to proceed to their destination unimpeded.
Sure there are the rogue elements in the cycling fraternity but non more than in the motoring public,hence again see the road toll and cost there of.
Btw most bicycle riders have a registered vehicle,so should know the rules of the road.
Don't forget the plates.
cheers

+1
Old 02-11-2018, 03:50 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
That's very Flash, Flash Do you know if the red ones are actually faster.
I reckon they do....but that's just all in the mind red is for ' rocket '

Col...
Old 02-11-2018, 05:06 PM
anthony2302749

Quote:
yep that's why it costs billions of dollars a year in medical bills to both drivers and governments with the road toll as it is.
All the talk about cyclists is just bs. Most of the time it is just impatient motorist who resent anyone who would delay their right to proceed to their destination unimpeded.
Btw most bicycle riders have a registered vehicle,so should know the rules of the road.
Don't forget the "p" plates.
cheers
+2
Old 02-11-2018, 05:43 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Quote:
Yep that's why it costs Billions of Dollars a year in medical bills to both drivers and governments with the road toll as it is.
All the talk about cyclists is just BS. Most of the time it is just impatient motorist who resent anyone who would delay their right to proceed to their destination unimpeded.
BTW most bicycle riders have a registered vehicle,so should Know the rules of the road.
Don't forget the "P" Plates.
Cheers
+3 well said Ron.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

Quote:
Cheers
You forgot the word "respectful", a word which encompasses both ourselves and others.

Unfortunately, this is a discussion that could go on and on and on because we all have differing perspectives on the issue and something I didn't make clear was that my opinions are based on encounters with "near/inner city" cyclists in inner city Newcastle.

Local councils worked to transfer a former coal rail corridor into a shared (walking/cycling) path which stretches for quite some kilometres, a fantastic idea.......the Fernleigh Track. The number of issues "walkers" have had with cyclists, the number of issues motorists have had with cyclists ignoring the one set of stop signs near to the beginning of the track is beyond belief.

Regardless of anything else, it all comes down to respect and
common sense, something which appears to be less common these days.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:44 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
It is interesting that this came up now, they were talking on the radio this morning about a push to reconsider mandatory helmets and the things some cycling advocates had to say I thought were concerning.

Firstly the rep of the cycling body misquoting or at least misunderstanding OH&S methodology. Quoting that 80% of cycling accidents are the fault of the driver of a car (Cant comment on that figure, so I wont) and talking about the "Hierarchy of controls" starting, as you should, at the top, with "Elimination" saying that what you need to do is to stop cars hitting bikes (You do always start with elimination if it is possible and practicable)

I work in an OH&S heavy industry. The HAZARD is falling off your bike (Whatever the cause of falling off may be) The risk is how likely that is to happen, and on top of that you have to look at the potential consequences of the hazard coming to pass (Catastrophic)

"Elimination" of the hazard is entirely possible, don't ride a bike, but obviously not practicable. I could go on and on down the hierarchy of controls but in the end, if you are going to ride a bike the hazard of falling off is there and the least effective form of control comes in to play, PPE (Wear a helmet)

The other one was a cyclist who came on and more or less advocated that helmets should be voluntary for adults (Who obviously know not to fall of their bikes and of they do, not to hit their head!) and that responsibility should be put on to car drivers, anyone but the cyclist themselves! She actually did say that riders should not be responsible for their own safety when it comes to being around cars, more than once!

I think both of them put pretty good arguments forward for the case of helmets remaining mandatory.

Yep, I've been on WHS committees since forever and you're right; you can have all the controls you like but still wear your PPE. If had done that 37 years ago I'd be one tooth richer (at least I didn't wind up one head poorer).

I'm also pretty annoyed at some of the 'representatives' of interest groups: 'their' members can never be wrong, or even have to use their brain. I heard a representative of the Pedestrian Council of Australia (or some such name) some years ago on the radio. This self appointed representative of all of us able to walk on our hind legs wanted bikes to only go at walking pace on a shared bike-path and to give way to pedestrians at all times. No co-operation, no sharing, just naked entitlement. Fortunately, in my experience people in the real world are far more reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrock View Post
You forgot the word "respectful", a word which encompasses both ourselves and others.

Unfortunately, this is a discussion that could go on and on and on because we all have differing perspectives on the issue and something I didn't make clear was that my opinions are based on encounters with "near/inner city" cyclists in inner city Newcastle.

Local councils worked to transfer a former coal rail corridor into a shared (walking/cycling) path which stretches for quite some kilometres, a fantastic idea.......the Fernleigh Track. The number of issues "walkers" have had with cyclists, the number of issues motorists have had with cyclists ignoring the one set of stop signs near to the beginning of the track is beyond belief.

Regardless of anything else, it all comes down to respect and
common sense, something which appears to be less common these days.

Shared walking/cycling path are probably a necessary evil but they are less than ideal. The truth is that any time there is a great difference in speed between different form of transport (bike/car or pedestrian/bike) harmonising them is difficult.

I used to ride the 12km from Wollongong to the Thirroul baths and back along the coast path every morning. Weekdays and most weekends were fine. Everyone was a regular and knew the scene. I remember one woman used to power walk while reading a book but she was no problem. She stayed to the far left of the path and didn't change speed or direction - easy to avoid. However, when more people were around it started getting harder to stay safe. During school holidays it was much, much safer to be on the road, in fact it would have been safer in a shark tank. People stopping and changing direct without looking, unsupervised toddlers, dogs off leash, frisbees at head height etc etc. I suppose the problem was more one of ignorance than respect (though that was also some people's problem) but, whatever the reason, it didn't work.

I find that, when I'm a cyclist, I need to bend a few of the rules for convenience, or even safety but never in a way that affects others adversely. For instance, it's easier not to come to a complete stop at 'Stop' signs. I will slow to walking pace and check that the way is clear before proceeding but if I can avoid putting my feet on the ground I will. I would never fly through an intersection without looking - I know the power balance between a car and a bike. Similarly, I don't ride on footpaths except for one location where playing with the cars it just too dangerous for me and frustrating for them. At that spot I ride slowly for about 50m on the footpath.

This thread has reminded me that I should get back on the bike. I've ridden, on and off, for 50 years now so I suppose I should start on the next 50.