Old 23-09-2018, 05:08 PM
Legin (Nigel)

Autoguiding

OK so I have polar alignment pretty well sorted. Still refining it to get it better and better.

I am now going to try my hand with an auto guider.

I have two ideas. One is I have a nice little 60mm guide scope. The other idea is off axis guiding.

Forgive me if this sounds really simple.

Is it just a case of setting up the guide scope, camera and then connecting to the computer as a second camera. Then I assume you run something like PHD to help track choosing the relevant camera?

I figure I am going to need guiding at some point as I want to go for narrowband as the light pollution is killing my skies BIG TIME. This will inevitably result in longer exposures. As such guiding would be nice.
Old 23-09-2018, 05:40 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

The guiding options really depend on the imaging telescope and the imaging camera pixel size.
Connecting the guide camera to a PC can be as simple as an ST4 cable to the mount and a USB cable to the computer, add PHD2 and you’re of and running.
So, we need to know which imaging scope, camera and probably your mount.
Old 23-09-2018, 05:59 PM
Legin (Nigel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
The guiding options really depend on the imaging telescope and the imaging camera pixel size.
Connecting the guide camera to a PC can be as simple as an ST4 cable to the mount and a USB cable to the computer, add PHD2 and you’re of and running.
So, we need to know which imaging scope, camera and probably your mount.
AZ EQ6 GT mount. I will largely be using a 9.25" Edge and an Orion 80 ED as the primary imaging scopes. I will use one or the other rarely use them together. I suspect the 80mm would make a sweet guide scope though.

I want to aim for wide field imaging. So it should be fairly forgiving on my alignment. I also will shoot the planets but the autoguiding is not such an issue for that.

The guide scope is an Orion 60mm has a short focal length somewhere around 200mm or so. Very nice little telescope in its own right I might add. Works well for its size. Should work well as a guidescope.

I can go ST4 I have all the cables and things here. I usually use a ASI174MC as my primary imaging camera. I also have an ASI 120MM and an older DMK41.
Old 24-09-2018, 07:05 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I'd suggest due to the longer focal length of the C925 that an OAG would be the way to go.
A finder/ guider would be OK for the ED80.
(You could also consider using EQMod/ CdC to control your mount)
Old 28-09-2018, 05:32 PM
Wavytone

Hi Ken,

I'm getting ready to overhaul my scope (the parts have arrived) with new focuser and other bits & bobs. More out of curiosity than anything else I'm tempted to dabble on the dark side and put 0.5X reducer and a camera on the back of the MK91 and also point it at moon with a M4/3 sensor on the back, as I already know what this scope is capable of photographically (http://www.astronominsk.org/Moon/Moon2009_en.htm)

What would you suggest for autoguiding at focal lengths of (a) 1500mm and (b) 3100mm (c) circa 6000mm ?

Mount is an AZEQ6. I have a 70mm f/6.7 APO and a cheap 80mm f/10 that can be pressed into guiding duty but open to other ideas...
Old 28-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

IMHO for those focal lengths I’d strongly recommend an OAG.
You don’t say what imaging camera or guide camera you will use.....
Old 28-09-2018, 06:05 PM
glend (Glen)

If your just starting out with imaging, use the Orion 80mm and a guidescope, this is the most forgiving configuration.
Old 28-09-2018, 06:31 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
You don’t say what imaging camera or guide camera you will use.....
Might try my GX85 (16MP M4/3) on the moon but for anything else - if I go there - I’ll buy something cooled. Still grappling with what sensor is a reasonable match. Scope will fill a 50mm image plane and is flat.

Last edited by Wavytone; 28-09-2018 at 07:17 PM.