Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-09-2018, 07:23 AM
Hemi

Surface go at the telescope

G’Day Members,

I was wondering if anyone had used or had thoughts on the new MS surface go as an image capture device for controlling camera and mount?
It has a pentium gold and usb 3. Attached to a tablet mount, it would make for a very neat solution.

Cheers

Hemi
Old 26-09-2018, 08:57 AM
phomer (Paul)

Hemi,

I would do a search for Raspberry Pi on iceinspace and investigate that as an option. For around $100-$150 you can have a low power mount and camera controller that you can control from another computer, such as a Surface Pro. Once everything is running you can put the computer to sleep and monitor every now and then if required.

If it gets damaged by dew or otherwise you have probably only lost the cost of the replacement board - $70.

The INDI software is getting better and easier to set up as time goes by and is now available as an image that you can write to a MicroSD card.

Paul

Last edited by phomer; 26-09-2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: addition
Old 26-09-2018, 10:30 AM
Hemi

Thanks Phomer, I have looked at the Raspberry Pi, and off the shelf solutions using it like stellarmate /KSTARS and the new ASIAir. I think I would prefer a Windows alternative. I do keep a tab on the Indi scene to see how its progressing though.